Anybody know where to get pay scales for

Cathay,
Singapore,
Eva,
and Korean

Any help or leads would be appreciated.

AAflyer

AAflyer:

I just did a search last week and found a comparison of Cathay and DragonAir pay scales, but in going back I couldn't find it. It was on the DragonAir Pilots Association website.

Singapore is a non-starter unless you have 500 PIC widebody. Believe me I have tried. If you are lucky to be in that category it works out to about $10,000 per month for a B-777 Captain. I got that by adding up all the allowances in the last Flight International advertisement that I had.

EVA has about eight different pay scales, probably more now. For an IRO or " Cruise Captain " it started at around $4000 per month going to $5000. They are advertising for F.O.s and I think the starting pay is still close to $4000 per month. You would have to pay me a lot more than that to be an F.O. in Taiwan though.

Korean is another non-starter since they stopped hiring foreign pilots last year. Last summer the Korean Pilots Union went on strike over that and other issues and they won. So there doesn't seem to be much hope for going there. Too bad, that was one of the best deals around with the schedule and basing system. A very good friend of mine works there as an A-330 captain and he makes around $10,000 per month with 11 days off per month in the States.

Hope that helps,

Typhoonpilot

before you start getting excited about cathay, check out other cathay links on this website. try china air. they got an open app on their website

Thanks guys,

I had toyed with the idea of taking a leave, letting a furloughed guy take my spot and go jet around the world on a 747.

I received ifo from EVA.On the app, they asked for a comprehensive list of my current pay,pension,per diem etc.
Had thought they would structure your pay closer to what you
negotiated.

I have heard enough about Cathay, and would be a little nervous flying for them, you thought we had mabor problems here, ouch!!

One other question, how is that paid, what exchange? Are there tax implications, or can we receive that pay, and still reside part time or full time back in the US?

Thanks again typhoon, and falcon,

AAflyer

Last edited:
AAflyer:

EVA and China Airlines pay in the New Taiwan Dollar. The current rate is about one USD equals 34.5 NTD. That has changed significantly from 1 to 27 when I worked there. When it changed the guys getting paid in NTD took an effective pay cut. It is doubtful the NTD will weaken much further considering the weakening of the USD.

Singapore pays in Singapore Dollars. I haven't been watching that lately it used to be around 1 USD equals 1.70 SD. Likewise Cathay pays in HK Dollars and that is fixed to the US Dollar at around 1 to 7.75.

The rules for the Foreign Earned Income credit are pretty specific. You must be resident of a country outside of the United States for one year prior to being eligible for the credit. Alternatively you must be in a foreign country for 330 days per year. When I was over there I qualified on both counts. I was very careful not to be in the States for more than about 30 days per year because it can be a subjective call on the part of the IRS if say you claim residence overseas and spend 90 days per year in the States. Today I believe the credit is $80,000 per year, somewhere around there anyway. It was $70,000 and had started going up $2000 per year back in the late 90s.

In Taiwan you will have to pay around 15 percent to the government there depending on who your tax man is. It can get down to 10% with the right person.

It is a great deal tax wise. You can keep most of your income so the pay can seem lower and in reality be much higher.

Typhoonpilot

Dragonair

AA Flyer,

I have an interview with Dragonair next month and can provide some info on them. I have that DPA website address that was mentioned above, but I am out of town and do not have acces to my bookmarks but will provide when I get home if you are interested (remember it is in Hong Kong dollars, approx 8 HKD to 1 USD). The package they offer is not bad. You start out at $7000 USD and advancement is very quick. Right now upgrades are coming in at under two years. First year Captains get paid about $10,000 USD a month. 7 weeks of leave a year and you can use those day in the year in which they accure. You don't have to spend a whole year there to use your vacation.

You do receive a housing allowance equal to half your rent. Honk Kong is very expensive and rent for an average apartment can run $3000-$4000 USD a month. Dragonair will also pay for a portion if not all of your childrens schooling at an English School(I really have not followed this one up since I don't have kids). From what I understand these schools are very good.

Dragonair flies A320s and A330s. They also have a cargo division which flies 747s. They are a regional airline in terms of where they fly. Lots of China, Japan, Tiawan, Malayasia, and other southeast Asia Destinations. They have just applied for six more routes, one of them being Sydney, Australia and there are talks of LAX and SFO service.

Pay and bennies are not as good as Cathay but considering what is going on over there Dragonair is a good option if you really want to fly in Southeast Asia. Later

furloughed

Hi Furloughed:

Can you tell me when you applied to DragonAir and or how you got an interview there.

Any info would be most appreciated. I am in the job search mode and have sent them a resume and cover letter but no reply as of yet.

Thanks,

Typhoonpilot

China Airlines and EVA

AAflyer and to those planning on Asia bound,
Flying for China Airlines are not as good as it looks. This is not the place to be even for just 1 day! CAL treat their pilots poorly, they will not fulfill their contractual agreement with you, but expect you to abide by what you've signed. No duty or trip rig-if you are use to that, the pay are calculated from the hard hours, nop, not block to block, but from the time you lift off till the time you touches down. YOU ARE NOT PAID FOR TAXIING OR DOWN TIME OR GROUND DELAYS.
We do have some great people here, if the management can act correctly, then we may have a good airline. But, until then, stay as far away as you can!
need to know more, pm me.

Interesting thread.

What about Thai Airways International? Does anybody know what ratings and qualifications are required there? Do they hire foreign pilots?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back