• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASE Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At one time both the wifferdill and the whozamajammer were required to be demonstrated, under the hood, on any instrument checkride; but alas, they've gone the way of spin demonstrations. Just one more sign of the dumbing down of America's pilot pool.

'Sled

ASE is a piece of cake, If you cant see the runway by Red Table then go to Rifle where they have a nice approach and limos standing by to drive your passengers to ASE. Isnt even an option at my company to shoot that approach, Ive shot it to minimums in the simulator and went missed with one engine. It was a real eye opener

My 2 cents:

I second the motion to ALLIX being all she wrote if you're IMC. Beyond that, it gets pretty out of hand unless your a helicopter. I'm relieved that my highly technical right turn down to the highway has been properly named ('whifferdill' I believe?). Once established inside DBL with the airport in sight, I'll break off to the right with a pretty good turn (20 degrees or so). Hold that until I get over the highway and then come back left to catch the extended centerline. -Lots of turning, but you can maintain a more reasonable sink rate that way and avoid the embarrassing callouts that some of the TAWS stuff will give around lumpy terrain. My PAX prefer turning over big sink rates & deck angles.

Give some thought to where you will go if someone fails to clear the runway. Someone stopped on the centerline (I never did get why) -Got surprised (yes, I admit it) with that. Initiated a go around from about 1/4 mile out - a turn for a left pattern is pretty tight. I sidestepped right a little before starting the left turn & had a good bit more room.

Rifle is a good alternate. Corporate Aircraft (FBO there) is pretty good at churning up some ground transport in a hurry.

Last and most horrible - take a hard look at the gradient for departure. A couple a guys I know were greeted with a smile and a 'Hi how are you? What did you weigh when you took off?' after landing on the east coast. APA is a good eastbound fuel stop if you are marginal on the 2nd segment thing.

If you get burned out on fooofy food, Glenwood Springs is a real town with normal restaraunts.

Thanks for all the help.

Coming up to DBL from the south, we lost our Left Alternature, during mod turb and rain, auotpilot and auto throttles kicked off, and Alt wouldn't reset. We got the APU up pretty quick, cause we were already slowing. We broke out at 5.9 from DBL and 12.200. After we MEL'd the Left Alt and refiled for 280 we started up and prepared for takeoff. Got on the runway and couldn't make EPR on the Right side. Exited the runway and put some Cowl Heat on for a minute or two. We then taxied back for take off and we were making EPR just fine. So we left. Game over. That was fun. Again thank you guys.

Latest resources

Back