ASA union looses Continental flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MarineGrunt said:
There is NO REASON why we should have got the shaft on our "pay raise" last year, while ASA get's handed a raise to exceed skyw across the board, plus cola, etc,,, etc,,,

Benefit of representation?

I was listening to a SkyWest, Inc. conference call where it was stated that they did not bid on the Continental flying due to the short 2 year duration. They thought the risks for taking on the flying outweighed the benefits. Nowhere in the call did they mention anything about ASA.

Funny how the story changes when they feel like they can use it to their advantage.

Do you remember which conference call that was? I'd love to point that out on the SAPA forums.

35 PLANES LOST BECAUSE OF CONTRACT TALKS!!!!

Here I am 28 years old with 37 years left in the industry and my career is ruined because of this round of contract talks. The horror!

I was suppsed to upgrade in ten minutes. Fly for exactly 1000 hours and then swiftly navigate my application to a super carrier. I was, of course, going to pick the carrier that will stay in buisness for the next 37 years. I would have also picked one that will not furlough in the next 5 years.

Instead it has taken me three years to become a regional captain! My life is ruined. Damn you ALPA and your signing bonus... you have ruined my life.

What ya mean "seems like"??? This kinda bull$hit comes out every time we have a union drive!

The President of SAPA realizes that if ALPA is voted in that he will lose his position. What are the perks of a SAPA President?

Last edited:
Skywest SAPA President came out with an email today saying vote no to a union because it hinders an airline from getting additional flying. He says that ASA was suppose to get 35 plus airplanes to fly for Continental but the contract talks and threat of a strike caused them to go elsewhere. Seems like more scare tactics.[/quot

Continental Express is unionized, and a strong union at that! Have they gained flying?

Either the President of SAPA is lying or Brad Rich misrepresented statements in the publicly broadcasted Quarterly Conference call for investors. Mr. Rich indicated that Skywest pulled their bid for the Continental flying because it was only a 2 year contract, and in the final hours, they did not want to commit resources for such a short duration that might limit Skywest bidding on any future flying. Mr. Rich also stated that they participated in that bid process, mainly for strategic reasons, to gather information on competitors and how they bid. He intimated that the purpose was to use the participation in the bid process as discovery for determining Skywest's competitor's cost and bidding practices. Mr. Rich indicated that this exercise provided him with valuable, strategic information on how Skywest would prepare bids for more desirable opportunities in the future. Mr. Rich also indicated that what he learned in that process was that Skywest had very competitive bids compared to their competitors. In the end, their purpose was not to win the bid! They pulled their bid because they probably feared they would win it. Why else would they?

Although this broadcast is not readily available, it is archived and could be found. However, plenty of ASA pilots, as well as Skywest pilots, interested in their Company's financial position, probably listened to this broadcast. Apparently, the SAPA President is not enlightened to his Company's direction, or he has selective memory!

Shouldn't the President of SAPA, who is leading his pilots, be more knowledgeable of his company's past, present, and future? Shouldn't he be situationally aware of his Company's business practices? Listening to the Conference Calls are FREE! Shouldn't the President of SAPA, be familar with at least the same information that a line pilot knows?

Some of us frontline workers listened to that conference call. Some of us listen to each one. I would hope that the leader of my pilot group would be as informed as his line pilots. Obviously, the President of SAPA didn't listen to Mr. Rich in that Conference Call, or chooses to use misinformation to protect his job as President of SAPA! I want my pilot leader to have integrity! Don't you??????????

The statement in the President of SAPA's letter appears to be a lie! It conflicts directly with the statements of Mr. Rich in a public forum to investors in a Conference Call, over a year ago. You have to make a decision on this one! Who is telling the truth?????

Last edited:
I can say without a doubt that I heard the conference call and it was stated exactly as referenced above.

They didnt like the short duration.

You guys need to call this guy out and ask which is true. Is Ron R. lying to the investors or is ASA the cause?

Its amazing how they talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Medeco

I also listened to the conference call along with every call since 2002. I agree that what the current sapa president sent out in an email is dishonest or very un-informed which in a sense would still be dishonest because he would be pushing agenda without checking the facts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back