ASA to fly to DFW again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASAFOE120 said:
And what hub does delta have that they havent been throwing money into?
And what hub does delta have that theyve been making money at?

DFW was the perfect location. Centrally located, 7 runways (where you can shoot 4 simultaneous ils approaches), predominately good wx year round, you can find good gate and ramp people, a growing economy, and the list goes on and on.

But I guess delta likes to throw all there flying into one great big basket. "we shall live by Atlanta and we shall die by Atlanta".

whatever

I had to sell my home and uproot from DFW too. I hate the ATL. DFW was home for 7 years. That doesn't mean it was profitable.

If you have such a hard for DFW and the North Texas economy, go work at Eagle.

Dallas was a money pit for DAL. Period.

I think the problem in DFW was Delta was doing to much. If Delta would use Song to connect PBI, FLL, TPA, MCO and maybe JAX with LAX, SFO, LAS, SAN and SEA it might work. Delta didn't need to serve CAE, SAV, ORD, DTW and all of the other places with RJ's. Maybe Ch. 11 will help delta become a money making carrier not the biggest, just make money on high density high yield markets instead of being in a market to be in a market. Just my thoughts.

"What about them replacing the hourly RJ service from SLC to PHX and now having only 4 MD90s? (Dec schedule) Is that a good way to do it?"

I dunno, now my turn. If those MD90's were losing money, would that be a good way to do it?

Freedom is flying the ERJ for Delta Connection out of MCO starting in November...are you sure it isn't Freedom flying these routes under Mesa Air Group?

I'm no E145 expert, but would that plane even have the range to fly MCO-TUL or Oak City?

when I used to fly the 70 out of DFW I often wondered why Delta did not put a bigger plane on the route as we where full most of the time

If the route is full and you restrict service you create a shortage. If you add more flights the shortage goes away. You can charge more when there is a shortage. The idea is not to put tons of people on airplanes... We have proved you can lose billions doing that.

Crash Pad said:
If the route is full and you restrict service you create a shortage. If you add more flights the shortage goes away. You can charge more when there is a shortage. The idea is not to put tons of people on airplanes... We have proved you can lose billions doing that.

That was the theory with RJs, but it doesn't account for any LCC competition. If a LCC competes on the route, they will have flooded the market with seats, forcing the RJ airline to compete by offering lower fares on a larger bucket of seats than they planned to.

You guys are all missing the point!!!!

Fact: DL in over 20 years in operations at DFW only made a profit 1 year!
Fact: DL was not only competing with AA, Eagle but also WN.
Fact: Most of the DFW traffic was not local for DL known as O and D...Most of the traffic much like CVG is connecting. CVG has competiton in a connecting market with CLE/ORD/MDW/DTW.......But no direct local competion at CVG...DFW had to not only compete against the airlines at DFW & DAL but also for the connecting traffic with those companies throught the S.W. If you are still missing the point here is an example;

Pax A: Traveling ABQ to TYS
Options: AA, DL, WN, NW
Example FARE R/T: AA $259, DL $259, WN $209, NW $259
Now which fare would you buy?
Addtionally WN fare is below everyone elses so everyone else matches the fare. However it costs DL, AA, NW $230 to fly that pax from ABQ to TYS. This is what was happening not only in DFW but in all markets. However AA can subsidize the loss with the hub and spoke system with markets not served by WN and also with Local DFW traffic. DL did not have this advantage. Additionally DL reallocated equipment to meet supply and demand on other routes leaving RJ's to fill the gaps....HMMMM RJ's whom have the highest CASM in the industry! You cannot compete in this type of atmoshpere with that much competition in a markets that have cheaper options on bigger aircraft with lower operating costs. DO you think RJ's are effectively competing against Airtran, SW or Jetblue? not a chance! But because of what I outlined for AA and WN in DFW/DAL, Delta can compete to a certain extent with it's ATL, CVG and SLC hubs. However Airtran has made significant challenges for DL in ATL and WN is doing the same in SLC. But DL's remaining hubs are not challenged nearly as it was at AA's and WN's home hub in Dallas.

No matter how many people you put on a plane it does not mean you are making a profit. If you are charging less than what it costs to fly then you are loosing money no matter how many warm bodies you have on the airplane. That is why DL closed the hub in DFW! Everyone thought ASA was making money for DL in DFW.....NOT TRUE AT ALL!

CaptainZero said:
I call BS on that rumor

It's now on Travelnet. Search for Dec. MCO-DFW 2 flight daily with a fitty-seater. Also TUL and OKC (1 flight daily) and I heard two other destinations but I forgot them now.

Latest resources

Back