Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sorry

The RJDC will likely win their lawsuit.

Not a snowball's chance in hell. Bet you the final claim is dismissed before the end of the year.

The RJDC has had a positive effect.

Yes, it has....on Mr. Haber. He's made quite a bit of money off of this ridiculous lawsuit.

A positive effect on the profession or the Association? Nope. All this lawsuit has done is further divide the mainline pilots from the regional pilots.

John is not a plaintiff. He is a patriot in the custom of Ben Franklin who also wrote extensively about the causes of his time.

Oh crap, I think I'm gonna be sick! :puke:

The Plaintiffs will probably get something for their trouble. The rest of us will try to find jobs.

If the plaintiffs win anything (the only claim left is the DFR claim that seeks an end to "predatory" scope language), then there won't be any decent jobs for you to find. As I've been telling you for years, a victory by Ford and Cooksey will mean the end of all effective scope language ALPA-wide. In other words, there won't be any desirable jobs left. Every single carrier will be free to RFP every single airplane. No longer will RFPs be limited to Barbie-jets and Jungle-jets! No, Skywest and Go Jet will now be bidding on that 76ER flying. Mesa and Republic can race to the bottom of the 777 payscale! Yes, a truly wonderful world that the RJDC envisions for all of us. :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm bringing back your favorite avatar, Fins! :beer:

As I've been telling you for years, a victory by Ford and Cooksey will mean the end of all effective scope language ALPAwide. :beer:

Cooksey? Ain't he retired or fired from ASA? Why does he care about the airlines? Some people can't let go I guess and move on with their life.

PCL

I see that you have... from my scanner to your banner.

You know my positions and know of my support for more effective scope. Why do you continue to try to portray an effort to make ALPA more representative of its members as an effort to destroy scope? You and I agree on much and it is not necessary to take a section of the complaint out of context to prove your point. With 10 DCI carriers ready to carve up ASA's flying - both of our points have been proven and we both know the needed solutions.

ALPA does have a duty to allow its members to participate in negotiations which involve their pay and working conditions. Nothing is more important to pay and working conditions than scope. When this suit was filed, ASA and Comair were airlines acquired by Delta. All three carriers were in section 6 negotiations. It was the perfect time to engineer an "inclusive scope" (Dan Ford's term) or "brand scope" (ALPA's term).

ALPA had a rare opportunity and squandered it. All we lay members can do is hope that ALPA will take advantage of future opportunities which may exist.

We ALL know that ALPA must deal with alter ego replacements through the use of effective scope. ALPA is our best hope and has my full support - I hope daily that they find their moral compass and return to the inclusive union which worked together to raise our profession.

Last edited:
Cooksey? Ain't he retired or fired from ASA? Why does he care about the airlines? Some people can't let go I guess and move on with their life.

Not sure of his current employment status, but Ken Cooksey was an ASA Captain when he filed the lawsuit. Everyone refers to the "RJDC lawsuit," but the RJDC doesn't actually have a lawsuit. The RJDC is just the propaganda arm that they created to weasel people out of their money to support their "cause." The actual lawsuits were filed by Ford and Cooksey.

Capt. Cooksey retired and now flies corporate when not enjoying his beautiful home in the mountains. Capt. Cooksey was ASA's MEC Chairman and served the pilots at my airline - trying to make this a better place.

He never stopped wanting ASA to improve - to be a good career airline. It might sound silly, but we should want the same for any Professional Pilot.

Ken Cooksey is (if I'm not mistaken) a representational Plaintiff who provides an anchor for the results of the litigation to benefit all similarly situated pilots.

The fact Ken Cooksey stuck his neck out when he was so close to being off the property has a lot to say about the level of service and sacrifice that your officers in ALPA are generally willing to put out for their constituency and Ken was willing to put out specifically.

Nobody that fights for our profession seems to come out clean... don't know why pilots eat their young. But, even the people I disagree with who give up their time and effort to make this a better profession are friends and worthy of gratitude for their work.

Last edited:
I see that you have... from my scanner to your banner.

With a slight modification, of course. ;)

You know my positions and know of my support for more effective scope.

I know. That's why I continue to be amazed, even after all this time, that you still support this lawsuit. It simply will not accomplish the goals that you have in mind.

Why do you continue to try to portray an effort to make ALPA more representative of its members as an effort to destroy scope? You and I agree on much and it is not necessary to take a section of the complaint out of context to prove your point.

Because, I'm simply not taking it out of context. The claim is written in very clear language. The result of a victory by the plaintiffs would be the destruction of effective scope language. I know that's not what you want, but that's what this lawsuit will bring if they're successful. (I'm not actually worried about this, because I honestly don't think that there's any chance that they'll win)

It simply will not accomplish the goals that you have in mind.
Yep. When this started ASA was Delta Connection in Atlanta and Dallas. Now with 6 other carriers in Atlanta and a non union carrier transferring our jets out from under us - I agree with you - but, they were right to try to stop ALPA from negotiating this outcome - and ALPA did negotiate exactly the storm the ASA and Comair pilots now face.

Last edited:
Capt. Cooksey was ASA's MEC Chairman and served the pilots at my airline - trying to make this a better place.
He never stopped wanting ASA to improve - to be a good career airline.

If that's true, why did he signed off on that terrible contract when he was MEC Chair? The ASA pilots didn't have membership ratification at the time, but boy, did we ever vote it in because of the terrible contract he signed off on. He was probally the worst Chair we've ever had, and I've been here for ALL of them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back