ASA Reserve/Duty Day/ Scheduling Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI2766

Scenario: I'm scheduled to go on reserve at 0800 local. At 0700 local, while still peacefully asleep, my phone rings. I answer, it's crew scheduling. I'm being called for a flight with a show time at 0900.

If I had not answered my phone at 0700, since I was not yet on reserve at that time, would I have received an occurence? Once I answered the phone, though, did the two hour mandatory report time start right then, or, at the beginning of my scheduled reserve time of 0800?

Second question: I've now hauled a$$ through Atlanta morning rush hour traffic, well, relatively speaking, and find myself in the parking lot at 0830 waiting for a bus. It was 0845 before the bus finally showed up. I call crew scheduling and inform them that I'm on the friggin' bus on the way in. I ask very politely if they could duty me in, as the time will be very tight for my 0900 duty in. I'm told that if I don't duty in before 0900, it will be a late duty in, I'll get an occurence, and they will have to call another FO. They hang up on me.

Little Enos Burdette (the bus driver) [Smokey and the Bandit reference] drops me off under 'D' and I sprint to the Badda Bing. I shoo a ramper off of - I'm not kidding here- a website advertising used Cadillacs. I duty in at 0859:55. Five whole seconds to spare according to the clock on the computer.

Couldn't the mis-aligned chromosome in Scheduling have dutied me in based off of my phone call? I mean, I was in the parking lot a half hour before my scheduled duty in. WTF?

Scenario: I'm scheduled to go on reserve at 0800 local. At 0700 local, while still peacefully asleep, my phone rings. I answer, it's crew scheduling. I'm being called for a flight with a show time at 0900.

If I had not answered my phone at 0700, since I was not yet on reserve at that time, would I have received an occurence? Once I answered the phone, though, did the two hour mandatory report time start right then, or, at the beginning of my scheduled reserve time of 0800?

Second question: I've now hauled a$$ through Atlanta morning rush hour traffic, well, relatively speaking, and find myself in the parking lot at 0830 waiting for a bus. It was 0845 before the bus finally showed up. I call crew scheduling and inform them that I'm on the friggin' bus on the way in. I ask very politely if they could duty me in, as the time will be very tight for my 0900 duty in. I'm told that if I don't duty in before 0900, it will be a late duty in, I'll get an occurence, and they will have to call another FO. They hang up on me.

Little Enos Burdette (the bus driver) [Smokey and the Bandit reference] drops me off under 'D' and I sprint to the Badda Bing. I shoo a ramper off of - I'm not kidding here- a website advertising used Cadillacs. I duty in at 0859:55. Five whole seconds to spare according to the clock on the computer.

Couldn't the mis-aligned chromosome in Scheduling have dutied me in based off of my phone call? I mean, I was in the parking lot a half hour before my scheduled duty in. WTF?
1. take the phone off the hook and set a clock to wake up at your start time, turn on the phone and then go back to bed and wait for their call.
2. 2hr. starts then. You made the mistake of picking up the phone.
3. don't sweat a late DI too much. Its no more than a little slap on the wrist unless its a habit with you. EVERYONE knows how inconsistant the buses are.
4. don't know why the scheduler wouldn't duty you in. I've had them do it for me several times over the years (lately too). If the one you're talking to won't do it, hang up and ask the next one to. That'll probably work.

Last edited:
Dude chill out. Don't answer your phone until after you go on call. You then have two hours to get there and even if they call you before you are not obligated to call them back unless they call you while your "on call". If you can't get there in two hours then tough shi_t you can't control traffic and everything else there is in life. It's not that big of a deal. We have had two people get fired for occurrences and guess what they both got their job back. Take your time and remember you still have another hour after you duty inn to go to E and get a qdoba burrito that will keep you full all day.

OK so you beat me to it.....OHPLEASE

First off, never ever answer your phone if your not on duty. They can call back when you start reserve. Most times they will find some other sucker. Once your duty time starts let them leave a message and you now have 15 minutes to call them back. However since you messed up and answered early you now are on the hook. But you have 2 hours from when you are assigned the trip to duty in. Dont ever let them know you can do it in under 2 hours. If your at the parking lot and can't get to duty in on time, call if you want as a courtesy. If some dick wants to be rude then F*ck em. You wont get nailed with an occurence, any chief pilot will let it go. Also if you dont want to fly never self notify yourself on crewtrac, they usually take it and give it someone else.

Dude chill out.

I'm not mad, my blood pressure is fine about this incident. I'm just curious about the specifics of contractual/regulatory scheduling.

Take your time and remember you still have another hour after you duty inn to go to E and get a qdoba burrito that will keep you full all day.

I didn't today. The flight was scheduled to leave 30 minutes after my duty in; which it did.

On the positive side, the captain I was with turned out to be really cool. I'd heard a couple of the other captains that I'd flown with bad-mouth the guy, but he turned out to be great.

Dude chill out.

I'm not mad, my blood pressure is fine about this incident. I'm just curious about the specifics of contractual/regulatory scheduling.

Take your time and remember you still have another hour after you duty inn to go to E and get a qdoba burrito that will keep you full all day.

I didn't today. The flight was scheduled to leave 30 minutes after my duty in; which it did.

On the positive side, the captain I was with turned out to be really cool. I'd heard a couple of the other captains that I'd flown with bad-mouth the guy, but he turned out to be great.
actually, you still have an hour after DI. Its up to you if you want to make everyone wait. I normally wouldn't if I could get there in less time but, I have in the past taken the full time. You'll never hear anything of it.

You have an hour after duty in ATL. That is contract. If the flight was scheduled to depart at 930 and you don't duty in until 9am they technically have to push it back to 10am. Don't let them d1ck you like that, they WILL do it again if they know you will let them get away with it. The company's inability to cover their flying is their problem don't let it become yours. And for God's sake don't answer your phone next time!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back