Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnpeace

#199 of 201
Short call reserve callout time is 2 hrs from call to duty in.

Most of the pilots I talk to suggest that this is rare, there is almost always more notice time than that.

What have your experiences been?

How do you bid to minimize the risk of shorter callout notice?

I live near the very outer limit of 2 hr callout and am hoping to make it work so I don't need a crashpad.

You will get plenty of short calls, and sometimes they will try and get you to come in with less than two hours notice. Don't give in.

C04/C06 here. I would estimate perhaps 3% of my calls have been right at 2 hours. If they do call, it's usually 2.5-3 hours to duty-in. I almost always have at least 24 hours notice though.

Can't help you on the bidding. I can only tell you my experience with C04.

-Brett

It depends. I got burnt out last summer and purposely bid reserve at Air Wisconsin. I flew 25 hours in three months, and never got anything less than a 6 hour notice. It all the luck of the draw.

Short call reserve callout time is 2 hrs from call to duty in.

Most of the pilots I talk to suggest that this is rare, there is almost always more notice time than that.

What have your experiences been?

How do you bid to minimize the risk of shorter callout notice?

I live near the very outer limit of 2 hr callout and am hoping to make it work so I don't need a crashpad.

What does the contract say?

What does the contract say?

Thank you.

I'm more interested in what is actually happening.

I thought I was pretty clear about that in my question.

Been on short call almost a year(either 9 am or noon, most recently on call me first). I think I've only been given 2 hr notice once or twice, most of the time it has been more like a day notice. But that's just my experience.
Cheers

I've had a C12 for 4 months straight, basically because I want to fly. This way, if I'm home, I can get my kids on the bus and my wife doesn't have to worry about it. I'll also get the leftovers in trips this way. The C04 and C06 guys will probably get the last minute short call notifications more than me, since people will tend to call in the morning as sick. Quite a few times the early call guys will do the first round trip and I'll do the rest of the 4 day. It all depends on your availability in the Bucket as well as your availability on duty. If you're on R04 or C04, you can't do a trip with a 1800 duty in and 3 legs until 0100 because of your on call time.

I've seen most of my trips on eTrip prior to the call. A majority of the time I'll receive a "courtesy call" to check my schedule the day prior. It's up to you if you wish to answer the call if you're not on call. CS seems to be fairly good about the "courtesy call", so at least you'll have a warning. The only time I've received a short call was due to a last minute sick call. It's been rare.

It all depends on your Reserve Request and if they'll give you your preferences or not. I've received my first preference every month this year. If you don't want to fly, don't list yourself as a CMF (Call Me First).

The more important question is this. Do you live 2 hours from the airport, or do you live 1 1/2 hours from the airport to give yourself enough time to get on the bus (15 minutes prior to duty in is pushing it) and duty in? I live 45 minutes from the airport and time my departure from home depending on what time I have to be on the bus. The buses leave every 15 minutes, and there's supposes to be an Express 4 times an hour in between the large buses, but not always. I've flown with an individual who lives in CHA and sat at home on reserve. It was definitely pushing the envelope. It's all up to you.

Hope this helps.

If you want the most likely to know advance and not get called much at all, nap reserve is the way to go. Did that and didn't work much. Switched to 12 reserve and work a bunch and out of 3 month there I don't think I ever had a 2 hr call out. Just did 4am last month (never will do that again) and worked a bunch (not as much as 12) and got 2 hr call out 3 times.

So thats my experiance with 3 different times reserve. Good luck. Reserve is MUCH better than it was, but still sucks.

9am Res has been pretty consistant with 3 plus hours call.

Any of the 4 or 6 am res periods are going to put you more at risk of the short call. If your working over the weekends that would add a bit more of a chance since your likely to have a guy call in after midnight saying he is sick for his early morning show time.

Dont forget, that while we are not required to be there in less than 2hrs, the new contract says you must try if your asked. Just say ok Ill try but dont count on it.

Medeco

Latest resources

Back