• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Premium Pay for losers!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll tell ya right now there's two furloughed pilots sitting up there in Scheduling. They're making about $12 an hour, listening to crewmembers foaming at the mouth as they try to pick up premium trips. I bet that makes those aviators feel just great.

They'll be your FOs one day.

No that is not what I need. You see you have a problem. I keep trying to tell you I just want people to stop jumping all over those who are picking up time. I am not having fun bashing people without jobs. However, I do enjoy making you upset. I am getting a good laugh at your anger.

Classy post, d-bag.

Also, you're missing another point of being against picking up opentime at ASA. Yes a lot of us do care about friends we had here that were furloughed. However, the situation is two-fold. We have a very poor staffing situation at the moment which has caused QOL among current active pilots to really slide. We need more pilots to cover the flying, but the company will do everything in it's power to keep staffing to contractual minimums (No furlough clause). So offering incentives to pick up opentime simply prolongs the bullcrap we're all dealing with right now.

As far as whether or not it's ethical to pick up opentime while furloughed pilots are on the street (the fact that they are even offering opentime incentives means the staffing situation is coming to a head an recalling guys might be around the corner), I'll just say that there's a reason that UA ALPA had a list of all pilots who picked up opentime.

While I agree that picking up open time is shady.
You have to really think, do you think management will get the message? No.
Because no matter what, you will always ALWAYS have another pilot willing to do it for an extra couple of bucks.
Now if ALPA negotiated real pay, then you wouldn't have pilots drooling for open time because the bills are due next week.

Scheduling had me deadhead to CLE while a reserve flew the trip. I was legal to fly the leg. After arriving we did a seat swap and the reserve deadheaded back to ATL. When I was laughing about it in the lounge several people spoke up and said this happens ALOT! With all the RED ARROW days and pitiful use of reserves I seriously hope everyone refuses the premium pay. The trips in open time are min day pay anyway on one day.

Scheduling had me deadhead to CLE while a reserve flew the trip. I was legal to fly the leg. After arriving we did a seat swap and the reserve deadheaded back to ATL. When I was laughing about it in the lounge several people spoke up and said this happens ALOT! With all the RED ARROW days and pitiful use of reserves I seriously hope everyone refuses the premium pay. The trips in open time are min day pay anyway on one day.

There are/were 5, 2-day Captain trips offered for 150% pay. These are trips worth at least 11.25 hours.

I've had the same thing that happened to you. When I realized it, I told scheduling of their error, had the reserve pilot fly both legs (he was junior) and I went home with cancellation pay 6 hours earlier than i would have.

Whether or not picking up open time is screwing furloughs?

That is a good question, with strong arguments on both sides. The facts are the facts. It is not illegal, nor is it defined by ALPA as unethical.

Is it any different than picking up open time without furloughs at ASA, when doing so prevents the hiring of more potential pilots, who may be ALPA brothers furloughed from other airlines?

Are all those who voted against the assessment seeking to screw over the furloughs?

If you did not make a personal donation to a furloughed pilot, are you out to screw the furloughs?

Should we all be flying safe and slow in an effort to bring back the furloughs?

Picketing is perfectly legal. Perhaps we should be picketing?

These are all valid questions with many valid answers and we must all answer them on a personal level. The fact is we all live in glass houses of differing construction, but glass none the less.

Show me a walk-on-water-stand-by-the-furloughs-type, and I will listen to his assessment of my devotion, for there is no such saint out there. For every pilot who has not picked up open time there is another who did, but maybe wrote a check, or helped with a job search, or something else. So who is to judge which act is the lesser?

So before you cast that stone in your hand, please be sure to check your own union-holiness score card, because odds are good in someone else's eyes, you are the one who should be in the pit waiting for the rocks to fly your way.

Last edited:
You don't think it's within the reach of our union to relate the quantity of open time pickups and the number of furloughed pilots and put that on an e-mail with ALPA's logo on it? Fine, they can't come out with a rubber stamped message that says you are forbidden to pick up open time, but what's wrong with pointing out a cause and effect? Nothing.

That's still illegal. Any sort of insinuation that pilots should not pick up open time is illegal. Thank the conservative judges that have been ruling against us for years.

Why can't the union send out an email reminding everyone that we still have people on furlough? Just a statement of facts.

Now that is something that you can do. The UAL MEC includes this at the top of their weekly updates.

Don't you guys think that flying "slow" and no I am not saying let things go but, don't you think that will decrease our performance numbers thus have a negative affect on our future business chances and also prolonging furloughs.

Latest resources

Back