Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eric

See you in the Wasatch!
I am pretty new and am trying to figure out how to bid for March. I have vacation the 21st through the 25th and am trying to maximize my time off. I have been on reserve, but should be able to hold a relief line in March.

I wanted to bid reserve and bump my four guaranteed days off up next to my vacation, but they don't line up. They either leave a gap or overlap. What happens if I overlap my four guaranteed days off over my vacation? Do I lose the overlapping days?

Should I bid a relief line and hope they build a trip that conflicts with my vacation?

If I can't have four guaranteed days off next to my vacation, would my quality of life be better as a relief line holder?

Any suggestions and/or private messages appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

Last edited:
If they overlap you lose.
Relief is a crapshoot. But keep in mind that they know when your vacation is before they build the line so they could and probably will put trips on both ends.

I don't know what to tell you but I would probally bid the reserve lines that the GDO's are close to the Vacation but not overlap and hope for the best.

Just an interesting side note, the differences between our companies, although we both are owned by mother Delta. I had vacation in January and was able to easily bid days off around it, I think I was off for 13 days including the vacation. Although I would trade for your system anyday to get rid of up to 6 ready reserves days a month. Nothing like sitting there in the recliner for 5 1/2 hours and then getting called for a trip. :rolleyes:

They won't put a trip on your relief line that conflicts with your vacation and would likely put a trip on both ends of it.

That being said, I had a week of vacation in both August and September of 2003 and they put 3 days off on the end of each, giving me 10 days off. Don't know if I would expect it, but it's could happen.

If you really want a sure thing, bid reserve for the GDOs. You're already used to the abuse and will get a few extra days off.

Last edited:
Do not bid relief, you WILL get hosed.

A couple of years ago, I had vacation that ended the day before my wedding (it was the only thing I could hold near my wedding date). Thinking I could tell someone the circumstances, and they could build a line that would give me a few extra days off after my vacation for the wedding, I bid relief. I faxed the request to every fax # I could get, and called everyone I could. I was given a 4-day starting the day of my wedding, followed by a 2-day, 2 days off, then a nap.

This was before we were hot and heavy in negotiations, and before they REALLY started screwing with pilots' QOL. Bid the reserve line.

Please tell me you did'nt work on your wedding day!

Whats's next folks? Is there no limit to what we'll do for a job?
PS- You'll be paying that one off for years to come at home.

gear_guy said:
Please tell me you did'nt work on your wedding day!

No - I went to the CP to see what I could do, he tried really hard to cut that 4-day in half (whoopee!). Luckily, the trip was through ATL, and there was no chance to get me back to DFW. He called scheduling to see what they could do, and go figure, scheduling told him to drop the trip. He had the authority to do it, but had to have sked tell him to. :rolleyes:

RJFlyer said:
No - I went to the CP to see what I could do, he tried really hard to cut that 4-day in half (whoopee!). Luckily, the trip was through ATL, and there was no chance to get me back to DFW. He called scheduling to see what they could do, and go figure, scheduling told him to drop the trip. He had the authority to do it, but had to have sked tell him to. :rolleyes:

Care to share the name of this spineless, dickless CP?

If you can hold a line, bid for some 4-day trips, then have scheduling drop the whole trip that touches your vacation. You will be docked the pay, but you can build it back up elsewhere in the month.

I would stay away from a relief line. If you get awarded one, you can be sre that you will probably only get your 5 or 7 days of vacation off that week.

Otherwise, just bid reserve and take your GDO's and vacation and make the most of it. Next year you should be able to do better.

Latest resources

Back