• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA-MTY Overnights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Me thinks the HI comment about "how bad can it be?" was sarcasm.

So how many different overnights does XJT do in Mexico? Are they refusing overnight flights?

Off the top of my head;

CUU, SJD, DGO, TRC, SLW, MTY, SLP, TAM, AGU, QRO, MEX, BJX, PVR, GDL, MLM, LOV, ZIH, TLC, OAX, VSA, VER, PUB, ZCL.

Some come and go, some we've always overnighted in, some maybe not at all anymore. But fear not, our security committee is "on it". Don't wear a shiny watch and you should be good to go. Also, many of the hotels are by BMW dealerships so they're COMPLETELY safe.

IIRC, the ONLY time our company stopped service somewhere was during the teacher's strike in OAX and there was lots of protesting and civil unrest going on not far from the hotel. And *gasp*, some people were killed in a riot. Aside from that, like mentioned before, our security committee has deemed it "safe".

9E said that MTY was "Memphis Safe" and flashed a grill of gold teeth in a grin...right before returning the flying to DL.

Even the post-Trennary bureaucrats know that it isn't safe. The boys in St. George aren't worried about you - they have magic underwear, remember?

XJET'ers, what say you of this jewel.. your new owners think so highly of you, they send you to some third-world hell hole with no medical insurance.

Personally, I knew they don't think highly of their employees since the first buyout attempt.

As for insurance, excuse my ignorance, but do we have the same policy? I've heard of people using medical services in MX and not having a problem.

It could be worse

A retired PanAm guy told of the time they got a midnight call at their layover hotel somewhere in Africa: "This is the Station Manager. Get your crew downstairs now! We have to take you across the river. The rebels are almost at the city limits." :uzi:

A retired PanAm guy told of the time they got a midnight call at their layover hotel somewhere in Africa: "This is the Station Manager. Get your crew downstairs now! We have to take you across the river. The rebels are almost at the city limits." :uzi:

That sounds similar to a tale a captain told me. His "friend" was interviewing at an ACMI carrier. He was asked, what would you do if you had just landed in Africa with two hours of fuel, and armed rebels came out shooting from the jungle? The friend responded, "I'd button up the plane and takeoff with or without flight paperwork--it's life or death." The interviewer replied, "Good. That's what we did when it happened to us."

.As for insurance, excuse my ignorance, but do we have the same policy? I've heard of people using medical services in MX and not having a problem.

It's in our FOM. It specifically says crewmembers are responsible for paying for medical services internationally, then applying for company reimbursement. Now personally, what I'd like to know is:

Do they take American Express or do I need to bring my Visa card?

If they do take Amex, will I be reimbursed quickly enough to pay next month's bill? Will the company pay the interest if not?

How much of my medical condition will I have to disclose to Shanaynay in payroll, and the chief pilot on that pesky online reimbursement form?

How much cash should I have on hand for the hospital so they'll treat me? 10K? 20K?

How did the corporate attorneys figure this was legal and a good idea?

How many companies send their employees abroad on a regular basis without medical insurance?

And finally, without insurance, needing to be flown home by air ambulance, who makes that decision, when, and who will pay for it? My FA? FO?

Overnighted in MTY last week in the exact hotel area being stressed about here. Dear god I had to walk 3 minutes to the 7-11 to grab a 35 peso 40 oz of Tecate! On the way I passed this strange place full of Hispanic people called 'Chilis'.

There were definitely Mexicans in the 7-11 so my guard was up! Thankfully I was ready to use the hammer fist since I always pay attention to those TSA self defense videos in recurrent. I think the checkout girl was trying to start trouble by blabbering to me in Spanish, but I quickly told her "hey English only senorita!" And the hotel breakfast in the morning, well it was nice but how do I know the waiter that helpfully refilled my coffee 3X wasn't a Zeta!?! Seriously You worry warts probably think the local Walmart is an Al Qaeda target. Grow a pair! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's in our FOM. It specifically says crewmembers are responsible for paying for medical services internationally, then applying for company reimbursement.

I'll have to go look that up although I don't know if the FOM can override the insurance policy I am currently paying for. I'll have to review the policy itself as well.

I know that at XJT, the company "chartered" one of it's own planes to bring back a pilot. I don't doubt Inc would scoff at that idea.

Latest resources

Back