• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA-MTY Overnights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never been Never wanna go! It's MEXI-NO for me.

I think it was said best by the Xjet guys. They have been over nightin' in many cities in Mexico, including MTY for a long time. So it can be done. Living in MTY, and seeing everything going down let me clue you guys in on something. Generally speaking the targets of attacks and kidnappings are locals, especially those working within the government. In this instance being either lighter or darker than the general population works to your benefit. So I guess what I am really saying is that if you are brown, stay down. If you are black or white, you should be alright. As long as you are away from downtown I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm just glad there are folks out there who "pride" themselves in not being concerned about their personal safety. If scheduling calls I'll just tell them to go track one of you down.

Truthfully I love mty. It was my fav overnight at asa. Just be smart same as any other city. I remember a gun battle at he days inn Shreveport and no one refused to go there. And does anyone have stats on mem vs mty?

I think it was said best by the Xjet guys. They have been over nightin' in many cities in Mexico, including MTY for a long time. So it can be done. Living in MTY, and seeing everything going down let me clue you guys in on something. Generally speaking the targets of attacks and kidnappings are locals, especially those working within the government. In this instance being either lighter or darker than the general population works to your benefit. So I guess what I am really saying is that if you are brown, stay down. If you are black or white, you should be alright. As long as you are away from downtown I wouldn't sweat it.

Good points. But the sad truth is, it's all about being in the WRONG place at the WRONG time. As I mentioned in TAM, you could be in what was a SAFE place at a WRONG time. And as the drug/cartel violence escalates into areas that were at one time safe, there are a WHOLE lot of WRONG times happening in what USED to be safe places.

But the sad truth is, it's all about being in the WRONG place at the WRONG time. .

just witnessing something (like on the van to the hotel) could get ya killed, I ain't going, you do it :erm:

plus "The Palm" says it ain't safe! :)

Last edited:
Has anybody consulted with The Palm about this? If his intel says it's safe, then I'm OK with it.

Then again, with crew costs being so high, maybe losing a few people off the payroll will help the bottom line?

Confirmed on ALPA. MTY is not safe.

Last edited:
Truthfully I love mty. It was my fav overnight at asa. Just be smart same as any other city. I remember a gun battle at he days inn Shreveport and no one refused to go there. And does anyone have stats on mem vs mty?

Memphis does seem to be one of the more dangerous places in the U.S.:

"For Memphis, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon."

For 2010, there were 86 murders in Memphis.

In MTY, there were 828 murders in 2010, but we're on track to DOUBLE that in 2011.

For those who say MTY is perfectly safe, I hope you are never a captain on any plane I ride on. Your risk analysis understanding needs work.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back