• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA - minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seriously, they could do something about the men's bathrooms at the crew lounge....it's getting to a point where I don't even want to touch that front door!

Also, the crew lounge itself need some serious refreshing....and FEBREEZE...

March is slow for Reserves

I'm on reserve as a CR7 Capt - I've only flown 21 hours this month, with nothing more in sight. I've called asking for work so I can at least get premium and make more than minimum guarantee - nothing. If you want to sit at home - be a 700 captain on reserve. I will admit last month wasn't that way - I got almost 100 hours of credits last month including 21.5 of deadhead, but this month is slow, just like it was last fall.

Deferals? I'm concerned that the planes are not getting repaired - but the most I've seen is 3.

Much has improved at ASA over the last 7 years, but when was the last time we got good news here? It's only bad news compounded by bad news. We lose our good parking lot, we lose our good pass benefits (o.k - that's rumor for now, but I believe it), we lose a significant portion of our employees (Delta running the ramp MIGHT make it better - but they are in for a rude awakening trying to operate 2-4 flights from one gate while boarding 2 at a time; that is difficult for anyone unless they make a significant investment in manpower to get it organized), we lose DFW/SLC/LAX, we lose 900s, we lose four of our 700s to the whipsaw, then we gain 8 700s from the whipsaw (not good for Comair, and ultimately not good for us since the same thing can happen to us).

I'm still waiting for someone from company management to tell me there is a bright future at ASA, but even a chief pilot told me that he is considering leaving for greener pastures. In the mean time, our management is completely reactionary - they don't have control over much, and what they could control (like the payroll department that neglected to pay me for over 20 hours last month) they don't.

I've come to the point that I even hate reading FI for fear I'll find out something else that has gone wrong at ASA.

Time for another beer for breakfast to make me numb for whatever additional bad news we'll get today.

In all honesty. ASA's flight crews are some of the best. As with all operations you have some squares, but overall we have a great group of guys and gals that we fly with. I guess this is what makes all of the BS bearable.
It does not look good for ASA. I know that the certificate will not be lost. SKW and its management team need the ticket to run some stuff that they cannot on their ticket due to their United agreement. Does that mean ASA will grow, if they do it will not be for a long time. Attrition is over one pilot per day. They have set up a cart in the admins office for all of the pubs that are being turned in. We cannot keep people, but we all knew that this would happen. It will make upgrade very quick. The funny thing is that all of the guys and gals that are getting on now will not have the ICAO time to upgrade when their number can hold it.
Honestly, if you want to be in ATL I would come here, but if not go somewhere else. I truly feel that this ship has lost its rudder.

So what do you think is to become of ASA?

Losing all control over ATL operations (our largest hub).
Losing any real pass benefits June 1 you can't even get non now with S2, S3B or C will be useless).
Losing employee parking lot (management doesn't know when or where we'll go).
Losing the the CRJ-900 "growth airplane" to MESA.
No contract conclusion in sight.
Massive attrition.

I'd say ASA is a sinking ship. This is what happens about a year before your airline shuts down. Something many of us have seen before. It's time to read the writing on the wall and get something else lined up.

So I guess the upgrade time at ASA is a silly question.. ;)

Vision corrected to 20/20

Has there always been a requirement for good vision to get hired?

Fortunatley I was blessed with perfect vision, but I don't remember that ever being a requirement when I was hired.

I don't know why they don't change it to the following:

1) Desire to be a pilot
2) Able to fog mirror
3) Unable to read contract language
4) Own a cell phone (scheduling and dispatch reasons)
5) Can live on $19/hour (or less)
6) Cannot spell A-L-P-A and be willing to listen to JoeMerchant for more than
5 minutes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back