ASA Mgmt. wants pref bidding why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PBS does not work well at Comair.

First, when seniority is not honored in any PBS, it's not a good system. Just because a system is good for management does not mean it's a good system. A good system works well for both parties. An acceptable system means it is mutually acceptable to the company and the affected employees. An acceptable system and a good system are not always the same.

Second, at Comair, if a pilot complains about his/her bid result, the company response is, usually, "you didn't enter your bid properly." Several years ago, our senior pilot didn't have his bid honored. As I understand the incident, he didn't enter the bid he wanted too. I also understand SBS didn't honor the bid he mistakenly entered.

D'Angelo...get some more information about something you seemingly know little about. Your fellow pilots would be a good start. This has nothing to do with an ALPA vs. management argument. The SBS program is flawed.

Slim said:
PBS does not work well at Comair.

First, when seniority is not honored in any PBS, it's not a good system. Just because a system is good for management does not mean it's a good system. A good system works well for both parties. An acceptable system means it is mutually acceptable to the company and the affected employees. An acceptable system and a good system are not always the same.

Second, at Comair, if a pilot complains about his/her bid result, the company response is, usually, "you didn't enter your bid properly." Several years ago, our senior pilot didn't have his bid honored. As I understand the incident, he didn't enter the bid he wanted too. I also understand SBS didn't honor the bid he mistakenly entered.

D'Angelo...get some more information about something you seemingly know little about. Your fellow pilots would be a good start. This has nothing to do with an ALPA vs. management argument. The SBS program is flawed.

It works just fine for me. I still get 15 days off a month and good credit. Perhaps your not able to get 3 weeks of vacation when your only supposed to have 1. Thats just tough my friend. The time has come to be more efficent and stop holding on to the past. Bidding by paper is a real pain anyway.

jehtplane said:
COOPERVANE said:
. Right now if I have vacation, ALL conflicting trips are dropped. one week off becomes 3 if you bid right. Under the pref-bid system there are no pairings or conflicting trips. One week off is one week off.
quote]

Yes and you lose all those hours and have your guarantee dropped

Yes you lose the flight time, but you still get 75 hours pay regardless.

There are those who say they like it and are middle seniority and there are those who are senior and say they hate it.

Is it possible that there is a factor of what you put in your bid is effecting your schedule? Put another way, are you sure you know what you are bidding for?

D'Angelo, since I don't have a Comair contract in front of me, you're (see, it's a contraction meaning "you are") saying that trips dropped due to vacation trip touching are paid in full? Even the days that are outside the vacation days?

At AWAC we have vacation trip touching for at least one week only (called primary vacation) but the days outside of the vacation are not paid. We won't drop below 75 hours guarantee but most of our lines are crediting 85-90 hours. So really, you are losing 15 hours of pay to get those extra days off. Seems like a trade. No one is getting paid for days they didn't work. Are you saying that all vacations should go away too since those are days you get paid not to work? Seems unfair to management to have to pay any days for us to not work according to your (meaning posession) posts. I think you should just give back your vacation days to your management since you obviously think it's so unfair that they pay you for days you didn't work.

Last edited:
Im talking about ASA here. It doesn't matter if its pay protected or not the fact that they are demanding 3 weeks off when they are entitled to 1 week off is absurd. Comair has a whole different system with PBS.

Ah, thanks for the clearification. ASA. I thought you were talking about Comair. So ASA does not currently have trip touching in their contract?

DiverDriver said:
At AWAC we have vacation trip touching for at least one week only (called primary vacation) but the days outside of the vacation are not paid. We won't drop below 75 hours guarantee but most of our lines are crediting 85-90 hours. So really, you are losing 15 hours of pay to get those extra days off. Seems like a trade. No one is getting paid for days they didn't work. quote]

sounds like the same system we have. we could turn 1 week of vacation into 2 or almost 3 weeks but, you'd only be paid min. guarantee. you wouldn't get paid for everything that gets dropped.

Actually if you drop below 75 hrs you don't get guarantee, but whatever you are now blocked to...So turning 1 week into 4 isn't as detrimental to the company financially as some would lead you to believe.

Latest resources

Back