• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Mgmt. wants pref bidding why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know who started this flame bait post about PBS, but according to the union, our MEC has no interest in PBS at this time, and it won't be in the new contract.

They MAY entertain a discussion on it at a later date (read: whatcha gonna give us in exchange, Brian?)

Having used both bidding methods, stay as far away from PBS as you can!!!!!

My vacation time is diminished as compared to a system where you bid for schedules and are paid for trips missed due to vacation. Second, per our contract, one week's vacation isn't really worth seven days. At Comair, we get a certain number of days off per month based upon the number of vacation weeks used during that month. This is inherently tied to the use of PBS.

The cost to the company of printing bid packets which contain structured lines of flying can get prohibitive. However, that's the cost of doing business.

The only person to fully benefit from PBS is the #1 pilot in his/her seat and airframe. After that, there are no guarantees. A PBS system which doesn't honor seniority every time is worthless.

End of rant...fly safe!

The system SkyWest uses allows the user to bid to avoid particular cities. CDOs are bid just like any other pairing, not as a seperate pre-built line.

Using PBS, I got 105 credit hours, 17 days off, 3 day trips only to overnights that I wanted. Most months are similar. My seniority is dead last in the top third. I'm sure you can all find something bad about my results though.

COOPERVANE said:
Anytime mgmt wants something we have to ask why? Is it good for us or them?

Right now, as I understand it we will be changing to a pref-bid system in the future. Most pilots I have spoken to welcome it.

Many Skywest pilots seem to hate the pref system. It allows Mgmt more flexibility while limiting the pilots'. Right now if I have vacation, ALL conflicting trips are dropped. one week off becomes 3 if you bid right. Under the pref-bid system there are no pairings or conflicting trips. One week off is one week off.

Besides, Skywest pilots have to SELF-POSITION to pick up the remainder of their trips, or to get home for their vacation to start. (as I understand it)

THAT SUCKS

If this is true, don't be so quick to embrace pref-bidding. BEWARE!!

The only way to fix pref bidding with vacation time is to get an agreement that gives you a line in seniority order, AND THEN AND ONLY THEN! applies your vacation and other absences. That way you preserve the dropping of trips that touch your vacation. Not sure how secessful you will be but that is the solution. We ain't got that at CMR, and yes, pref bidding svcks @ss!

D'Angelo said:
That is absolutely ridiculous!!!! Why should you get 3 weeks off when your entitled to one week of vacation. Airlines wonder why they are in so much trouble! It is absolutely insane to drop entire trips just because vacation may or may not conflict. If PBS saves money and paper bids id be all for it! Again the old days are gone. The airlines are insane for allowing this to go on for so long. Time to abandon the past and look toward an efficent tomorrow.

I would love to look forward to an efficient tomorrow! 8 hours a day! Management is not interested in efficiency. Look at our trips! 4 days for less than 10 hours:eek: ! What planet are you living on son? There is no efficiency at CMR.

doh said:
I would love to look forward to an efficient tomorrow! 8 hours a day! Management is not interested in efficiency. Look at our trips! 4 days for less than 10 hours:eek: ! What planet are you living on son? There is no efficiency at CMR.

Hey PBS works fine over here at CMR. They are trying to keep as many line holders as possible. Remember Delta controls the schedules or would you rather have more furloughed. Again its absurd to expect to be able to get 3 weeks paid vacation when your entitled to one. Time to end that type of stuff. You don't like it quit.

D'Angelo said:
You don't like it quit.

Pot calling kettle black???

It has been duly noted by all that you are rabidly anti-union. You currently work (or claim to work for) Comair, an ALPA-represented airline. You don't like it, quit.

BoilerUP said:
Pot calling kettle black???

It has been duly noted by all that you are rabidly anti-union. You currently work (or claim to work for) Comair, an ALPA-represented airline. You don't like it, quit.

I don't like the union but I deal with it. Until we can throw them to the street it is what it is. I still like the company, even with the pay cuts so I stay. If anyone doesnt like the pay cuts then LEAVE! All you union blowhards day of reckoning is coming, and ill be there IN ALL MY GLORY! WATCHING, WATCHING AS IT ALL COMES CRUMMMMBLING DOWN!!!

Latest resources

Back