• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA MEC draws a line in the sand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with you. I was trying to argue the point the previous poster made that he got to vote on all the systems out there as being false. You folks didn't see anything other than flightline. After all the vendors gave their 1-2 hour demonstration.

Did you use to work at ASA? I didn't think so. That's the problem with you....you "think" you know everything. It must be that "napoleon" thing.

As for a demo, NAVTEC and AOS. Smartpref was still on the shelf collecting dust.

Have a nice Steve.

Ok, so the MEC only gave you one choice is what you meant to say. Pref bid or keep losing aircraft to Skywest. Seems like the same thing may happen again if your MEC doesn't move from their ultimatum.

Interesting that you know so much about what proposals where made.... There was a period when aircraft were being moved and diverted. This occurred during the end game of negotiations as the stick to make us buckle.This group didn't cave on the real pressure.

No aircraft were on the line for PBS. We were able to do PBS outside Section because the company waited too long in our contract talks and the mediator told them it wasn't happening. As far as doing the development and negotiation, our guys researched all of them including SmartPref then (all without work rules). The Flightline award logic was viewed as most favorable to staying as close to line bidding as we could get. Our team walked away three times and nearly scrapped the entire thing near the end when the company stopped playing ball.

Quit speculating on things you know nothing about. You're as bad as Genital Lee.

Did you use to work at ASA? I didn't think so. That's the problem with you....you "think" you know everything. It must be that "napoleon" thing.

As for a demo, NAVTEC and AOS. Smartpref was still on the shelf collecting dust.

Have a nice Steve.

It was probably because when he talked to all these vendors, he found out that each one got a measly hour to demonstrate their product to the ASA.

Interesting that you know so much about what proposals where made.... There was a period when aircraft were being moved and diverted. This occurred during the end game of negotiations as the stick to make us buckle.This group didn't cave on the real pressure.

No aircraft were on the line for PBS. We were able to do PBS outside Section because the company waited too long in our contract talks and the mediator told them it wasn't happening. As far as doing the development and negotiation, our guys researched all of them including SmartPref then (all without work rules). The Flightline award logic was viewed as most favorable to staying as close to line bidding as we could get. Our team walked away three times and nearly scrapped the entire thing near the end when the company stopped playing ball.

Quit speculating on things you know nothing about. You're as bad as Genital Lee.

You didn't understand what I was trying to say, or more likely, I didn't make myself clear. The company put pressure on you last time for whatever the reason was,that last time. This time they are putting pressure on you for your flight line ultimatum. I wasn't trying to say it was for PBS last time. As for comparisons, like has been said before, your MEC hasn't even run any real pairings through smartpref to test their theory that the sorting algorithm is as bad as they think. Im sure that they saw the word globalization and run the other way like scared school girls (when flight line does the same thing manually and given another name; congrats you got sold on that). But thats the thing about making comparisons. If you want to be unbiased, you test your theory against a control subject. In this case, your pairings with your rules. Then compare it to your current system. Your MEC has NOT done any of that. In fact, the crewing solutions were so impressed with your guys' lack of professionalism, they wrote a whole scathing letter to them. Your guys' are not dealing in good faith and its why the crewing solution person didn't appreciate it, the XJT MEC is frustrated, and management is ready be done with you guys. Go ahead and keep going on your present track. I have a feeling that it will take aircraft coming to XJT rather than ASA before you guys buckle again.

Last edited:
Ok, so the MEC only gave you one choice is what you meant to say. Pref bid or keep losing aircraft to Skywest. Seems like the same thing may happen again if your MEC doesn't move from their ultimatum.

You're wrong, so don't rewrite history. There was no coercion from the company and no carrots. It was an loa outside of section 6.
Previously, the company had dangled carrots or transferred airplanes. We NEVER caved or grasped at the carrot, and as a result we lost planes and suffered QOL wrath.

We've never signed a concessionary deal(can you say that), which is what smartpref will be.

Last edited:
You're wrong, so don't rewrite history. There was no coercion from the company and no carrots. It was an loa outside of section 6.
Previously, the company had dangled carrots or transferred airplanes. We NEVER caved or grasped at the carrot, and as a result we lost planes and suffered QOL wrath.

We've never signed a concessionary deal(can you say that), which is what smartpref will be.

Sure, if you want to keep thinking that one had nothing to do with the other and it was just a coincidence, then I invite you guys to do the same this time around. There is a specific reason for the timing of the ASA MEC's ultimatum and management deciding to take advantage of our contract in order to negotiate rates outside of section 6. Your MEC's intrangisense will be the cause of the concessionary rates the arbitrator will hand down. So in essence you guys are the ones forcing us into further concessions. And by the way, our concessions were the direct result of Skywest management low balling the CAL CPA by assuming we would take the 16% pay cut to bring us down to yours and skywest pilot compensation and then backing out of the deal. And despite our 7% cut, we still have a better contract than yours. Our 50 seat compensation is almost as high as your 76 seat compensation.

Nevets- you keep pointing to SkyWest Inc. as the source of your concession woes. Isn't this the business model we all participate in at the regional level? Watch what PCL does to us in the coming months. How about what GoJets did last year? In this business you're the hunter or the hunted. I'm as fed up with it as you, but it is what it is.

Overall, yes, you have a better contract than we do. However, your prior contract made you a target by all companies, and not just SkyWest Inc. Just like our contract NOW makes us a target by all companies.

And here's where you chime in with the plan B speech................

Nevets- you keep pointing to SkyWest Inc. as the source of your concession woes. Isn't this the business model we all participate in at the regional level? Watch what PCL does to us in the coming months. How about what GoJets did last year? In this business you're the hunter or the hunted. I'm as fed up with it as you, but it is what it is.

Overall, yes, you have a better contract than we do. However, your prior contract made you a target by all companies, and not just SkyWest Inc. Just like our contract NOW makes us a target by all companies.

And here's where you chime in with the plan B speech................

Plan B? I'm now working on plan C while the current plan A is looking shaky!;)

But seriously, I agree with what you say. The difference now is that we are no longer two separate airlines. We are now one airline with bigger economies of scale. That needs to be thrown into the equation in our new contract. I will not vote yes to any contract that is a concession to me, even if it would be a windfall for the ASA side.

Latest resources

Back