ASA Lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL990

I heard a nasty rumor floating around that there was going to be a very large drop in lines next month (80+). The rumor was not really from a credible source (ie CP or anyone in MGMT) but it was stirring around.

Also heard that we may be ?losing? aircraft?

I am reasonably certain that this is crap but anyone know anything CREDIBLE.

(if this is old news that has already been discused, sorry, haven't been on here in a while)

Last edited:
FL990 said:
I heard a nasty rumor floating around that there was going to be a very large drop in lines next month (80+). The rumor was not really from a credible source (ie CP or anyone in MGMT) but it was stirring around.

Also heard that we may be ?losing? aircraft?

I am reasonably certain that this is crap but anyone know anything CREDIBLE.

(if this is old news that has already been discused, sorry, haven't been on here in a while)

I wouldn't be surprised. Watch for some major announcements this week and they won't be good ones. Delta is geating closer to the edge. Watch for CVG to get downsized - that may account for some of the reduction.

Last edited:
JoeMerchant said:
I wouldn't be surprised. Watch for some major announcements this week and they won't be good ones. Delta is geating closer to the edge. Watch for CVG to geat downsized - that may account for some of the reduction.

Joe,

I am not trying to be disrespectful and I am also not trying to have you give away your identity...however, do you have any idea how many times there have been "announcements" coming? Is the info you are giving us credible?

First, I have no doubt that Delta will file bankruptcy by the end of the month, or at least before the law changes. I also am aware that historically, when bankruptcy is filed, large cutbacks are made initially in the schedules. This is the only reason why i am putting any truth in this rumor...BUT...i also know that people think along these thought processes like this one and then just MAKE CRAP UP to fill in the blanks.

How do you know an announcement is coming and what is it going to say?

President of Comair and VP of Delta Ops are meeting with their respective employee groups in CVG today. First meeting starts at 9am. Source is company website.

We will know soon what the truth will be!

PalmettoPilot said:
FL990, no offense but why are you coming here to validate rumors?

I am not validating...just discussing.

FL990 said:
Joe,

I am not trying to be disrespectful and I am also not trying to have you give away your identity...however, do you have any idea how many times there have been "announcements" coming? Is the info you are giving us credible?

How do you know an announcement is coming and what is it going to say?

FL990,
Here is the first of what is sure to be more.

Press ReleaseSource: Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta Air Lines Strengthens Domestic Hubs, Offers Customers More International Choices with Winter Schedule
Wednesday September 7, 8:00 am ET

ATLANTA, Sept. 7, 2005 (PRIMEZONE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) will accelerate the pace of its transformation through changes to its winter schedule that realign service at domestic hubs to be more efficient, shift capacity from domestic routes to meet growing international demand, and reduce fleet complexity by accelerating plans to retire inefficient aircraft.

``Today, we are announcing the latest in a series of integrated improvements to further strengthen our network by continuing to right-size our hubs, increase international flying and simplify our fleet -- all key components of our transformation plan,'' said Jim Whitehurst, Chief Operating Officer. ``Together with earlier, major initiatives such as de-hubbing Dallas/Fort Worth, introducing SimpliFares(tm) and expanding point-to-point flying, these changes complement the service customers have come to expect from the world's second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried, while stepping up the pace of our customer-focused transformation.''

Realigning domestic hubs

Effective Dec. 1, Delta will right-size operations at its second-largest hub at Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport to better match service to local passenger demand and optimize the balance of local and connecting traffic. With the changes, Delta will reduce mainline and Delta Connection carrier capacity by 26 percent, while boosting the percentage of local traffic from 36 to nearly 50 percent -- well in line with other Delta and competitor hubs.

Additionally, Delta will replace service in nine markets currently served non-stop from Cincinnati by Delta Connection carriers ASA and Comair with connecting service through the Atlanta hub.

``In keeping with our customer-focused commitment, these scheduling improvements will have virtually no effect on the services the traveling public has come to expect from us as the No. 1 airline in the Cincinnati market. By consolidating flights into fewer flight banks and reducing flights in off-peak hours, we will increase customer choice during preferred travel times,'' Whitehurst said. ``Importantly, as an international gateway, the Cincinnati area also will retain the international service its customers enjoy to eight non-stop destinations in Canada, Mexico, Europe and the Caribbean, and its status as one of the country's top 10 airline hubs.''

Additionally, from the Atlanta and Salt Lake City hubs, Delta is expanding service to regional business destinations with new non-stop flights to 20 destinations, including between Salt Lake City and Columbus, Ohio, and between Atlanta and Bloomington and Moline, Ill.

And for leisure customers, Delta will add more flights to Hawaii with the first non-stop service between Atlanta and Maui, complementing existing non-stop flights to Honolulu and planned one-stop service to Kona via Salt Lake City (effective Dec. 1). The new Atlanta-Maui route begins Dec. 16 and brings to 11 the number of daily Delta round-trip departures between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii.

Increasing service to international destinations

With the fall and winter schedule, customers throughout Delta's global network will enjoy new or expanded service to 41 international destinations. New destinations served from Atlanta will include: Managua, Nicaragua (Dec. 15); Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (Dec. 15); Antigua (Dec. 18); San Pedro Sula, Honduras (March 1, 2006); Roatan, Honduras (March 4, 2006); and Dusseldorf, Germany (April 3, 2006). On Dec. 1, Delta also will increase by two the number of daily flights between Atlanta and Cancun, Mexico, and expand to daily existing weekend-only service between Cincinnati and Montego Bay, Jamaica. Service to Latin America markets is subject to appropriate government operating approvals.

Delta's upcoming international expansion adds to the 21 new international routes introduced or announced since Jan. 1, 2005, including New York (JFK) to Chennai, India (via Paris); New York (JFK) to Berlin, Germany; Atlanta to Moscow; New York (JFK) and Atlanta to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; Atlanta to Barbados; and Salt Lake City to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

These schedule enhancements maintain Delta's position as the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic and the No. 3 carrier to Latin America and the Caribbean.

Increasing efficiencies through fleet simplification

Part of Delta's ongoing transformation calls for the simplification of its fleet by up to four types in approximately four years to reduce fleet complexity, increase fuel efficiency and reduce capacity on routes where Delta offers more seats than necessary to meet customer demand.

Beginning this month, Delta will accelerate the removal from service of its Boeing 767-200 aircraft type -- the least efficient wide-body aircraft in its fleet. These aircraft are scheduled to be removed from service by Dec. 1, 2005, with the majority to be sold to ABX Air, Inc., through a transaction announced separately today.

Delta Air Lines is the world's second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offering daily flights to 487 destinations in 88 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. Delta's marketing alliances allow customers to earn and redeem frequent flier miles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam carriers and other airline partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. For more information, please visit delta.com.

Statements in this news release that are not historical facts, including statements regarding Delta's estimates, beliefs, expectations, intentions, strategies or projections, may be ``forward-looking statements'' as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the estimates, beliefs, expectations, intentions, strategies and projections reflected in or suggested by the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, our ability to maintain adequate liquidity, the possible imposition of a significant reserve or holdback under our credit card processing agreements, our ability to comply with financial covenants in our loan agreements, our debt and pension plan funding obligations, the cost of aircraft fuel, pilot early retirements, the effect of credit ratings downgrades, interruptions or disruptions in service at one of our hub airports, our increasing dependence on technology in our operations, labor issues, restructurings by competitors, the effects of terrorist attacks and competitive conditions in the airline industry. Additional information concerning risks and uncertainties that could cause differences between actual results and forward-looking statements is contained in Delta's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including its Form 10-Q, filed with the Commission on August 15, 2005. Caution should be taken not to place undue reliance on Delta's forward-looking statements, which represent Delta's views only as of September 7, 2005, and which Delta has no current intention to update.

The Delta logo is available at: http://www.primezone.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=1825

Delta Air Lines Corporate Communications (404) 715-2554Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Hang on for the ride!

I am not sure how much ASA would be affected as there is a contract that forces Delta to keep a minimum of 80% of all DCI flying out of ATL in ASA's bucket. This contract was a pre BK agreement that is good through BK. If anything, it looks more like Skywest has done us a favor to ensure our survival. Comair on the other hand could be downsized as more flying goes to ASA/Skywest. Of course if Comair has been sold, then there may be a pre BK agreement with the new owner ensuring Comairs survival. It also looks like most of the downsizing at Delta will be the retirement of all those old aircraft and could be just minor changes to ASA and Comairs non stop flights to CVG such as VPS. I hope this works out for the best.

Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) agreed to sell 11 Boeing 767-200 jets and moved to slash flights out of Cincinnati, its second-largest hub, in what the troubled carrier said on Wednesday was a bid to restructure faster.

Looks like everyone will feel a little of the pain.

Latest resources

Back