• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sidseal said:
My two guesses:

1. NYRANGERS

2. Any other idiot out there like NYRANGERS

Why the insult? You had a good comeback, then you had to get silly. Why don't you think my post was as relevant as Sleepy's?

Anyway, fly safe and I hope the NYR can beat the Senators tonight.;)

Last edited:
I had to give you some sh#t! Anyway, just a little attempt at humor at your expense!

p.s. I do hope the Rangers get a win tonight.

Disagreements

I tend to disagree with NYRangers.

NYRangers implies that by stopping the growth of Comair/ASA he would be fostering the growth of Delta.

I believe this way of thinking is flawed, but my reasoning has nothing to do with "regional jets" and everything to do with feed.

I believe that Delta and the DCI carriers are not mutually exclusive, but rather are heavily dependant upon each other for success.

I/E: Delta would not be able to fill up Boeing 777's to Milan without ASA bringing 50 customers at a time from Podunk to Atlanta. Alternatively, without 50 customers from a variety of Delta mainline flights there would be no need for that shiny-new RJ to fly to Podunk.

Both carriers rely on one another. It is foolhardy to believe that if ASA/Comair did not exist, that Delta would simply serve that market with Boeing 737s at a loss. SOMEONE would provide that feed -- fortunately, the revenue is going directly into Delta Airline's wallet.

If there were no Comair or ASA etc... and Delta Airlines flew every piece of equipment from the EMB120 through the Boeing 777 then Delta management would simply rightsize the equipment for the route-segment to be flown in order to maximize yield. Everyone would be happy because there would be more than enough flying to go around. ALPA decided long ago that regional-jets had no place at mainline air carriers. They dropped the ball. We are all aware of that now -- but what's done is done and you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.

So during a period of weak demand Delta's management has elected to put its 50 seat resource on city-pairs that will generate revenue. When the economy rebounds and that city-pair can produce MORE revenue by adding more revenue-generators (i/e seats) then Delta will put a larger airplane there. At that time they will have freed up the RJ resource to begin Delta service in another market, (perhaps one currently operated by a weak major airline) and develop that market so that it too may be able to accomodate more revenue-generators (seats...) in the future.

The error in NYRanger's thinking is that it is a "DCI Vs. Delta" argument -- where in actuality the two entities support each other. True, sadly there are many of the Delta family who are furloughed. We have ALPA to blame for that -- they are the ones who dropped the ball. A down-economy is not the time to change that -- it just wouldnt work. But a realization that without either partner the other would fail, might go a long way.
(And Comair's MEC providing preferential interviews to their furloughed Delta brothers might not hurt either...)

Just an outsiders opinion.

sidseal said:
I had to give you some sh#t! Anyway, just a little attempt at humor at your expense!

p.s. I do hope the Rangers get a win tonight.

No prob, I was kind of being a smart a$$.

Take care and fly safe.

I predict Barnaby has 2 goals and 7 PIM.

Re: Sleepy, are you there?

btflyer2 said:
YOur source that said maybe new hires this summer, what was that based on?

Capt E seemed to think there would be a pilot surplus with the EMB being retired. Has something changed or is no one bidding the 700 due to the schedules?

I don't know, I would have to assume growth to the west. They are training 40 per month right now, so the E-120 people should be through training by late spring.

interviews again?

Is ASA going to start interviewing again? I have heard yes and no, but was told by pilot recruitement that they were not going to interview this year at all. That was in early Jan.

Hotwing: Word day before yesturday was "no," from one of the interviewers. Line Check Airmen buddies of mine say that we are over staffed at the moment and trying to (dis)place the EMB120 pilots in such a way as no body gets furloughed. The best guess is that this will continue until this fall. However, DL changes their plans for us.... There is so much going on in the industry in general and we are at the end of the chain of command - things could change in an instant.

Our local MEC sent a message to ALPA members advising us to update our bid preferences in case the company starts displacing pilots off other aircraft to make room for the senior E120 pilots as they are displaced. So, as far as our union folks know, there is a risk some of us are going to be displaced.

The ATR leases are up in mid 2004. If ASA goes "all jet" then this process could repeat next year. The company has told us they are looking at different options on the ATR type. They would like to go with CRJ700's as replacements to enjoy the efficiencies of one fewer type on the property. However, ALPA's deal stops that from happening. So they may just renew ATR leases, or stop service to some of the cities which have reduced revenue since 9-11. Who knows? But it would seem a decision is needed relatively soon on that issue.

Last edited:
I know it sounds strange...but...I definitely know someone who just scheduled an interview for this month. This is not a sick prank...its the truth. I was under the impression that there was not going to be anymore interview this year as well. That is why this has sparked my intrest. I know in the past ASA has tried to keep their pool filled to a pre-determined number(around 50 people?), perhaps they are trying to get it there just in case hiring starts up again this summer. I find it odd that they are setting up interviews now.

jetflyer said:
Just curious because I have no idea:

How many total pilots work for ASA?

Around 1600 now. I think we have something like 100 pilots who are going to be recalled to active duty through their Reserve or National Guard units (depending on what happens with the war). Maybe this is the reason for the interviewing. They can stay on active duty for up to five years and remain employed with ASA.

Latest resources

Back