• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB
Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up this week with ASA and would like some input. I feel similar to the first time I took a check ride, not really knowing what the real thing is like, even though everyone tells you the things to expect and how to respond.

Those of you who are familiar with ASA or currently work for them please give your input on the absolute do's and/or do nots during the interview process.

I'm really curious as to what the people did wrong on the 1st day in order to not be invited to stay on the second day.

I feel good about the tech. and the Sim

When is it appropriate if at all to give LOR's to the interviewer?

Any input will be great!
Medeco

I just had an interview with ASA (Sunday October 6th and Monday October 7th) and it is really VERY low key and relaxed. The latest interview posted on aviationinterviews.com under "ASA" is mine and it describes all about what to expect. Good luck!

Hey,

Yes I read Aviationinterview every chance I can.

Ryan727 can you expand on the types of mistakes you saw in the sim, your info stated you saw several mistakes.

thanks
Medeco

Kind of common sense but make absolutely sure you have copies (and originals!) of all the documents they told you to bring.

This doesn't have anything to do with skills or knowledge but the captain that interviewed me commented on how great it was that I had everything he needed at hand. Instead of the 10-15 minutes it normally took to do the paperwork he only had to spend 5 minutes on it. Doesn't sound like much but anything that makes the interviewers job easier is a good thing.

After I got hired I managed to get a look at the comments he wrote on my application and all it said was "Very well prepared. Hire this guy." I know that he wasn't referring to my interview answers, so it must have been the paperwork!:D

Sim Mistakes

My biggest mistake in the sim was thinking that it was as stable as the airplane I am currently flying. Like I said in my interview post, I looked away for just a second and the sim was in a 40 degree bank and a dive. I didn't make THAT mistake again. The guy that went first leveled off at his altitude and never pulled the power back. The airspeed went through 200....then 250....finally at about 290 the overspeed warning sounded and the interview said "Don't mind that....its just the overspeed warning." *HINT HINT* Finally the instructor reached up and pulled the power back. Also, another guy....the engine failed and he never really did anything. He kept his heading and altititude but never pulled the throttle back, feathered the prop, etc. Everybody who went that day passed the sim ride though so keep in mind that they are just looking to see if you can keep the airplane right side up and know some basic instrument flying. The instructor who did us said "I'm here to answer 2 questions: Can you fly? And can we train you?"

Anyway....good luck on your interview. Hopefully we'll see each other out on the line here soon! (I haven't heard anything yet but they said it would probably be 2 or 3 weeks...today is the 1 week mark...)

Thanks for the info!

Keep it coming, I'm looking for the comments like Shamrock gave about the paperwork.

Ryan727, I guess nerves really can take over huh?

Thanks again
Medeco

Medeco,

The news I hear from the training department at ASA is that everyone gets called back for the second day, no matter how bad you do the first day. I'm not sure whether this is true, but it's what I've been hearing around the crew room as well. Good luck!

Dont get worked up...

over the interview.

You will have more than enough gouge. Go in have a good time, the ASA interview crew want to hire you. The main thing besides can this person fly and be trainable is can I put up with this person for a 4 day trip or will it be a "slam clicker" overnight by the second day.

You will not fly the profile perfectly, so dont think you will. Limit your mistakes and when you make one correct it. Go-around is an option. Shows good judgement.

10 years of doing and observing checkrides, linechecks, LOFT's, IOE checks and observation rides, very few if any were perfect.

For the written test, I didn't open a book for the written test, made something around 50%. "Heavy" classification 155,000 lbs or 200,000 lbs, VFR stuff....? I was put in the pool 4 days later.
Another guy in the interview group studied for weeks made a 90% and was turned down. I suspect his "I know eveything and you dont know anything" attitude played a big factor.

The interview lasted 15 minutes, straight forward questions. Make sure you read the notes for approaches. ie. RADAR/Comm required to do approach, tower must be in operation, etc.

Relax and have fun.

Medeco, one of the guys i interviewed with didnt make it to the second day. Just make sure you handle the engine failure properly and maintain heading and altitude. And as others said, you wont be perfect. good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back