Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FmrFreightDog

Py-lote
Hey all, I have a friend of the family who's trying to get on with ASA, and I'd like to write him a letter as a former employee. Doubt it can do much good as I've never flown with the guy, but at least I can provide him with a "He's a good guy" letter. Question is, is ASA actually still hiring and would D.R. still be the guy to address a letter to?

Thanks.

Hey all, I have a friend of the family who's trying to get on with ASA, and I'd like to write him a letter as a former employee. Doubt it can do much good as I've never flown with the guy, but at least I can provide him with a "He's a good guy" letter. Question is, is ASA actually still hiring and would D.R. still be the guy to address a letter to?

Thanks.

Yes and Yes.

Hiring has slowed a bit, but I would imagine your letter as a former employee should get his application to the top of the stack.

Thanks.

Honest question here....not trying to flame....

You weren't a fan of ASA when you were here....why would you advise someone to come to a company you weren't a fan off.....??

Honest question here....not trying to flame....

You weren't a fan of ASA when you were here....why would you advise someone to come to a company you weren't a fan off.....??

Joe,

I never said I wasn't a fan of ASA. I always thought that the pilot group at ASA could do a little more to make ASA a better place to work. On the whole, I think I had more good days than bad days while I was at ASA, and I think it's a good place for a young guy to start a career. Compared to a place like Pinnacle, ASA is a much much better place to hang your hat while you build your credentials.

To this day, I don't necessarily think ASA would have been a bad place for me to make a career. Leaving ASA for a major was not a particularly easy decision, what with a family to think about and all. However, I chose to try something different. I'm truly enjoying Northwest, and the DC-9 is a great airplane to fly around day to day (despite what General Lee and his "life partner" 737Pylt" have to say). I may have made the right decision, and I may have made the wrong decision (oil and mergers will tell).

In hindsight, after listening to my Pinnacle crash pad roommate tell me about his day to day existence, I'm willing to acknowledge that I may have, on occasion, been too hard on ASA. Amongst regionals, as far as QOL and work rules go, ASA isn't too bad.

Perhaps what you perceived as my hatred for ASA was only my desire to make it a better place for the pilots who wanted to make it a place to build a career. You of all people should understand that.

Bottom line, the guy I want to recommend has aspirations to fly for a major. In the meantime he wants to work for a regional that won't be an absolutely miserable place for him to spend a career if the industry doesn't work out like he expects (and we all know how that goes). I can't honestly think of a better place to recommend than ASA.

Thats my 2 cents anyhow.

Last edited:
Joe,

I never said I wasn't a fan of ASA. I always thought that the pilot group at ASA could do a little more to make ASA a better place to work. On the whole, I think I had more good days than bad days while I was at ASA, and I think it's a good place for a young guy to start a career. Compared to a place like Pinnacle, ASA is a much much better place to hang your hat while you build your credentials.

To this day, I don't necessarily think ASA would have been a bad place for me to make a career. Leaving ASA for a major was not a particularly easy decision, what with a family to think about and all. However, I chose to try something different. I'm truly enjoying Northwest, and the DC-9 is a great airplane to fly around day to day (despite what General Lee and his "life partner" 737Pylt" have to say). I may have made the right decision, and I may have made the wrong decision (oil and mergers will tell).

In hindsight, after listening to my Pinnacle crash pad roommate tell me about his day to day existence, I'm willing to acknowledge that I may have, on occasion, been too hard on ASA. Amongst regionals, as far as QOL and work rules go, ASA isn't to bad.

Perhaps what you perceived as my hatred for ASA was only my desire to make it a better place for the pilots who wanted to make it a place to build a career. You of all people should understand that.

I do understand that, and I have no hard feelings toward you....I have built a career here....even though that wasn't my original intention....

I desire to make this a better place also....but I am realistic in what is attainable given the circumstances....We are in a very competitive landscape in a very difficult industry.....

Perhaps what you perceived as my "hatred" of ALPA was only my desire to make it a better union....

It behooves ALL of us to make this segment of our industry a career job.....but I won't price myself out of a job either.....We need to work on that scope issue TOGETHER......

:beer:

By the way....the DC 9 is like the ATR....it takes a real pilot to fly and neither the General or 737Peelot could handle either one.....

Last edited:
It behooves ALL of us to make this segment of our industry a career job.....but I won't price myself out of a job either.....We need to work on that scope issue TOGETHER......

I agree completely. You will never find me in the "the majors need to take back the flying they let go to the regionals" camp. At this point, I personally have no desire to see one ALPA carrier take flying from another. Everyone's been down that road before, and I think we can all agree it didn't work out too well. I would not be on board with any attempt to bring outsourced flying back to the mainlines without the cooperation of the regional pilot group in question. I think everyone is divided enough as it is, and with hard times ahead it's only going to get worse.

By the way....the DC 9 is like the ATR....it takes a real pilot to fly and neither the General or 737Peelot could handle either one.....

:)

Despite our differences, I will always agree with you on this particular sentiment. Good luck to us all. Light to moderate chop is about to turn into severe turbulence.

I agree completely. You will never find me in the "the majors need to take back the flying they let go to the regionals" camp. At this point, I personally have no desire to see one ALPA carrier take flying from another. Everyone's been down that road before, and I think we can all agree it didn't work out too well. I would not be on board with any attempt to bring outsourced flying back to the mainlines without the cooperation of the regional pilot group in question. I think everyone is divided enough as it is, and with hard times ahead it's only going to get worse.

:)

Despite our differences, I will always agree with you on this particular sentiment. Good luck to us all. Light to moderate chop is about to turn into severe turbulence.

If there were more like you at the mainline we would probably have a much better situation.....

Watch those DAL folks....many of them think they are better than you guys....:laugh:

Be sure to have your friend go ahead and fill out the online app. Everyone has to do it, even those with a recommendation letter.

According to D.R. as of Friday, hiring 10 a month to address current attrition. This will continue until DAL and DCI determine where the 25 regional jets are coming from.

Latest resources

Back