ASA: Growth or Contract?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dfw700guy said:
Lets look at what LITTLE HORIZON gets paid OK....go to airlinepilotpay.com and look at Horizon--if they can pay that--think of what ASA is saving from paying us these wages......They have more of a match in their 401K too...that is what we want--not pensions--they are going away very quickly..we all know

We can control more money from the company then they can--
BURN ALL LIGHTS LONGER
START BOTH ENGINES
LET the APU BURN A LITTLE LONGER
FLY SAFE--MX EVERYTHING
DONT CALL FOR BOARDING--let the agents do their job
TAXI--from AIM--a BRISK WALK---
ON-TIME performance--LAST PLACE really sucks remember AJC Article

WE have to get their attention..And yes I have been on reserve for over 2 years now--I want a contract....NOW--with back pay CO Express got Retro. pay......
I don't know this for sure... But someone said Horizon only gets paid for scheduled hrs.

FL990,

You have to crawl before you walk and you have to walk before you run!

You are not listening to what people are trying to tell you. We don't have Skip's attention. When we have his attention we will get a contract. As I said before it's not time to strike yet! Get it.

701EV

701EV said:
FL990,

You have to crawl before you walk and you have to walk before you run!

You are not listening to what people are trying to tell you. We don't have Skip's attention. When we have his attention we will get a contract. As I said before it's not time to strike yet! Get it.

701EV
701EV,

I think that I have given the impression that I am on a different team, and for that I am sorry. I am not on a different team. I am on your side. The point that I have been trying to make for a long time now is very simple. I happen to have quite a bit of experience negotiating so i can speak about it a little. My point is don't get too much emotion into it. Management does not have a personal vendetta against us. They are simply making good business decisions right now. The most important thing in negotiation is leverage, it is a balance....risk/reward, give/take. I'm not trying to talk down to you. You seem very intelligent and I am just trying to explain my possition.

Anyway, I personally think that they are being smart just as the Delta pilots were about this TA....they held out, kept there money and income and everything else until the last possible moment...when bankruptcy was just a couple hours away, they signed. You will see this, I believe, with management in our case. As we get closer to the strike and begin whatever else the union comes up with in there "end plan", they will probably become more flexible...but right now, they are being good negotiators. As the costs start to outway the benefits of holding out, they will become more interested in getting it done. But, also, the longer they hold out, the more they get in there pocket to offer up as trade (ie. backpay). When it comes down to it, I think you will see this as a big leverage point of trade that they will ask us to give up to get the deal done.

OK, anyway, I hope you see what I am saying. I would strike tomorrow, it makes no difference to me...the closer we get to that point, the more progress we will make...if this is not the case, THEN..at that point..I will call them poor negotiators, but now, I think they are just being good businessmen.

Lets wait until Comair gets all of their flights pulled out of ATL and we are the only feed to mainline in their "garden spot". Wait until we operate 500 departures a day out of ATL.

Then start up with the strike talk, info picketing etc... Wonder if ole Grinstein would get on the hotline down to Skip pretty quick. With Delta on the verge of bankruptcy as it is, could they really afford for us to almost completely shutdown ATL?

Oh yeah, and I wont vote for a contract without full retro pay no matter how great a contract it might be. (Especially with the turmoil they've caused by shutting down my base.) We deserve that much at least. Have we not been patient with them over the past 2 years? Jumped through all their hoops (on time perf, ops class on our day off, etc...)?

I think highly of Skip and the job he's done and I wouldnt rather work for any other regional airline out there, but I do feel that we are entitled to some reward for the part we have done to make this airline succeed.

Sorry guys, just my $.02

Last edited:
SHAMROCK wrote:
There's a few guys at ASA who proudly state that they turned 80 hour lines into 30 hour lines during the last contract negotiations. I hope they were overnighting in some decent places (unlikely at ASA, IMHO) because that could become a looong month!

Yes, we had so many cancelled flights that many pilots had smaller paychecks as a result. We didn't have cancellation pay then. But the point is we got the company's attention, but it took sacrifices on our part to accomplish this. It will take scarifices to accomplish this again as well.

Those who are waiting for guidance from the MEC be aware that you won't get it. It is illegal for the MEC to come out and say, 'do this, do that'. YOU have to just go ahead and do your part. As mentioned in many posts here, just do your job. For instance, adding more bags after paperwork done? Open the door, get the paperwork back, and call out then. D+o yeah right! Try to get it to D+15! Just fly the profiles, don't bug ops with requests, etc etc.

We will get a better contract. But, not until we force the company. It's sad it has to be this way but this is what Skip wants, and the buck stops with him. Let's get some heat on ole Skippy, I don't think he can handle myself.

Freebrd,

You hit the nail on the head!

Now if we get can 50% of the pilots to do follow we will get Skippy's attention.

701EV

Fellas, SB has little impact in our bargaining and contract outcomes. The real horsepower behind the companies crap is CT. I think he is the single most poweful person at ASA right now. We will only get a good contract when Delta lights a fire under his a$$.

I think SB would like to give us a decent contract and move along, but I don't think he has the authority.

>>don't bug ops with requests,<<

Nothing pisses me off more, than to hear Captains calling ops every 2 minutes, "we need catering, we need lav service, we need fuel".

Geez, Shut up........... One call, thats all!

one call = Departure Coordinator.

You must be a Harvard MBA!

FL990 said:
Management does not have a personal vendetta against us. They are simply making good business decisions right now.

You will see this, I believe, with management in our case....but right now, they are being good negotiators.

WHAT???? Making good business decisions? How is destroying employee moral making good business decisions? Skip & Co. don't make any decisions, other than to say "how high?" when Delta says "jump!". They attempt to control day to day operations and from the flight ops side, but they can't find their ass with both hands on some days. This is quite a brilliant team we have, it took a company wide survey to clue them in that their Christmas cookie boondoggle last year didn't sit well. There's a management team with their finger on the pulse of their most important asset!!

Good negotiators?? How is wasting everyone's time, not negotiating in good faith, and flat out lying being good negotiators? They have the NMB so frustrated that they have considered pulling their services as mediators because it's a "waste of taxpayer money".

FL990, I believe that you are a managment plant on this board trying to calm everyone down. I think this pilot group is just starting to get riled up enough and you are trying to get us to "simmah down now!!" I hope I'm wrong-but something smells fishy.

Palerider957 said:
Fellas, SB has little impact in our bargaining and contract outcomes. The real horsepower behind the companies crap is CT. I think he is the single most poweful person at ASA right now. We will only get a good contract when Delta lights a fire under his a$$.

I think SB would like to give us a decent contract and move along, but I don't think he has the authority.
This is 100% CORRECT. SB can have all the good intentions in the world, but when it comes to the contract he is a figurehead at best. CT is sadly the driving force, and being a veteran of not one, but THREE 121 bankruptcies, I'm sure he could care less about our contract having fair compensation and work rules.

Latest resources

Back