ASA Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASABound

Yesterday 5-20-03 in Jackson, TN I heard a rumor of ASA furloughs from an ASA pilot. Anyone know anything about this or is this just another rumor someone is starting. Any news would be great !! Thanks

Rumor...one that I haven't heard yet; not in the cockpit, the pilots' lounge or anywhere else. I think that one would have made some ripples.

Furloughs

I heard it too. We are going to ax about 1600 or so, start over with ten dudes and a twotter and see if we can do it right this time.

Hummmm......This rumor was floating aroung a few months ago. It never happened. Here are some reasons I can think of why it won't:

1. We are still interviewing.
2. We just saw a lot of growth in DFW and to the West (ok, we have more seats, but fewer cockpits).
3. DAL bookings are up 13% over last year, and the Summer travel season is predicted to be pretty good.
4. We are short of pilots on the CRJ (will change when all of the EMB people get out of training.
5. Better rumor that DAL will leave SLC and take over DEN hub from United.

Why it could happen:

1. The unpredictable always happens at ASA.
2. We could be overstaffed when the EMB transition is complete in the Fall.
3. FA's are being offered unpaid leaves (yet hiring continues).
4. Guys on military leave will start returning soon.
5. We are in contract talks, and the company may want to dick with us.
6. General Lee wants our pilots to feel some pain:)

Last edited:
I can see it now - George and John come out of exile, buy a load of Bandits, Macon to Columbus to Albany, just like the (bad) old days....

This question came up in recurrent a couple weeks back. I doubt VERY seriously this will ever happen here. (unless another tragedy) Sleepy, you need to look at the July prelims. There are only about 12 guys left to finish up transitions. In ATL we are going to have over 70 F/Os on reserve and 80 Capts. This is why those rumors get started. With the lines getting even less next month, how can the company support all of the excess pilots ? Fuloughs! NOT. There is supposedly a big expansion propsed for Sept 1st, so we will see. The prelims also show that we are @ 20 F/Os short on the RJ in DFW. SO if anything happens first, it will be the moving the bottom twenty guys in ATL over to DFW. Then we will be set in both hubs for awhile.

ANd the newest rumor?? What was the head of flight ops doing in Phoenix last week? Meetings about what? HHmmm, a PHX base?? Makes sense to go along with the Sept expansion, which includes all west coast cities. Although a rumor it is, he was indeed in PHX.

Last edited:
I am wondering something. A few weeks ago I was in Jackson Tn. This pilot came up and started a conversation. He stated he was a pilot with ACA. When I started asking questions about whats going on, things did not make sense. When I started asking questions about training and what jet he was flying he was way off base. When I asked him his employee number it was an strange number. Later I found out by one of the line guys he was full of it. I see in this post about an ASA pilot. Man.... Jackson TN is full of pilots I see.
Whats next? I space shuttle pilot...........

Re: Furloughs

Ted Striker said:
I heard it too. We are going to ax about 1600 or so, start over with ten dudes and a twotter and see if we can do it right this time.

LMAO!!!:D :D :D

bailout said:
This question came up in recurrent a couple weeks back. I doubt VERY seriously this will ever happen here. (unless another tragedy) Sleepy, you need to look at the July prelims. There are only about 12 guys left to finish up transitions. In ATL we are going to have over 70 F/Os on reserve and 80 Capts. This is why those rumors get started. With the lines getting even less next month, how can the company support all of the excess pilots ? Fuloughs! NOT. There is supposedly a big expansion propsed for Sept 1st, so we will see. The prelims also show that we are @ 20 F/Os short on the RJ in DFW. SO if anything happens first, it will be the moving the bottom twenty guys in ATL over to DFW. Then we will be set in both hubs for awhile.

ANd the newest rumor?? What was the head of flight ops doing in Phoenix last week? Meetings about what? HHmmm, a PHX base?? Makes sense to go along with the Sept expansion, which includes all west coast cities. Although a rumor it is, he was indeed in PHX.

I have not seen the July prelims yet. So if we open a Western crew base, how many people do you think will leave ATL to go there? Seems to me that it would be alot cheaper for them to just get MESA to fly for DCI out of PHX?

I agree with you, I doubt a PHX base would happen at all. But just curious on what was going on out there. Probably just looking to add a leg to pass through there on the way to somehwere else. Keep in mind ASA was asked twice over the last 2 years if we could pick up the connection flying out of LAX (instead of Eagle), and both times we said we werent equipped to handle it. Maybe we are ready now?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back