ASA flight 529

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
Loss of the aircraft during most overspeed situations is pilot error.

Come hop in a Brasilia sim for a while, then talk to me about not blaming the prop. I've seen people with 5,000 hours in the '120 who know exactly when the failure is going to happen, and they still lose it. A catastrophic overspeed of the left prop at V1 and max. gross takes full right rudder and about twenty pounds of right aileron just to keep the wings level...and you still might settle back to the ground. Don't forget, the guy in Brunswick was (at the time) ASA'a most experienced Brasilia captain.

Most FAA examiners will tell you that the toughest check rides are the 727 F/E and the Brasilia type-rating...and it's largely because of that marvel of engineering, the Hamilton Standard 14RF9.

Don't get me wrong, I liked flying the '120. But after a year in each seat of the Brakillya, I'm happy to be flying something with nice quiet ducted fans! (And ACM's that actually cool.)

demo said:

It happened in '95... here's a link to the synopsis: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001207X04223&key=1
but the final report you have to order from them in hardcopy.

Thanks,

That is the synopsis for Matts crash which, having attended Flight Safety for my CFI jsut after that time, I am already rather familiar with. The one I was referring to, involves the incident/accident that everyone is currently discussing concerning the prop-overspeed at 8000 feet 1 mile outside the OM! Or am I confused and they are one in the same?

Latest resources

Back