• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA closer to a strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That would be true just got the memo from ASA MEC and ALPA national. It basically will allow a panel of 3 people to "decide" a contract and should either party choose not to accept it in comes the 30 day cooling off period. At that point "super-mediation" sessions take place and at 0001 on day 31 it is strike time. With that being said - I want to say thank you to whoever pushed this it is about time.

Is this binding arbitration ????

What if management accepts the offer of arbitration. How long does all that drag out ??? Another year or so ??

That would be true just got the memo from ASA MEC and ALPA national. It basically will allow a panel of 3 people to "decide" a contract and should either party choose not to accept it in comes the 30 day cooling off period. At that point "super-mediation" sessions take place and at 0001 on day 31 it is strike time. With that being said - I want to say thank you to whoever pushed this it is about time.

Just to be clear on this point, it is a request for binding arbitration and the parties must decide if they want to enter into such arbitration, putting it into the hands of the panel. The commitment to accept the outcome of arbitration is made in advance of the arbitration board's proposal.

I can't recall an instance where an airline and its pilot group ever actually entered into binding arbitration. Can anyone help out on this?

I can't recall an instance where an airline and its pilot group ever actually entered into binding arbitration. Can anyone help out on this?

I'm not positive but I think the Alaska pilots were victims of binding arbitration. Whether the arbitration was binding or not they sure got hosed.

Just to be clear on this point, it is a request for binding arbitration and the parties must decide if they want to enter into such arbitration, putting it into the hands of the panel. The commitment to accept the outcome of arbitration is made in advance of the arbitration board's proposal.

Poor ASADrivel, what will he do now. His little management job may go bye-bye now.
About time this happened. I don't anticpate ASA/ALPA agreeing to arbitration. The union will use it to get the company to finish the contract, or else the pilots will be out the door. Simple as that.

VOTED IN FAVOR!

Poor ASADrivel, what will he do now. His little management job may go bye-bye now.
About time this happened. I don't anticpate ASA/ALPA agreeing to arbitration. The union will use it to get the company to finish the contract, or else the pilots will be out the door. Simple as that.

VOTED IN FAVOR!

Will Skywest Pilots fly ASA struck work? What protections does Skywest have in assuring they will not?

Trojan

Email from ALPA

The Connection SPECIAL
September 25, 2006 Edition

The Connection is e-mailed to you periodically by the ASA ALPA MEC and
Communications Committee to share news of our union's activities and
accomplishments.

1. A Request for Proffer
2. RFP Drama

1. A Request for Proffer

Our union leadership has taken an important step along the path toward a
contract. On Friday, September 22, Association President Captain Duane
Woerth delivered a formal request to the National Mediation Board (NMB),
asking for a proffer of arbitration on our behalf. In accordance with
provisions of the Federal Railway Labor Act, the three-member Board will
examine the information we've provided and decide whether to make an offer
of binding arbitration. If that offer of arbitration, or proffer, were to be
accepted by both ALPA and ASA management, then a disinterested party would
impose upon us a contract of their choosing. IF EITHER SIDE DECLINES THE
PROFFER, the NMB will then start the clock on a 30-day "cooling-off" period.
During that 30-day period, the NMB would probably engage both parties in
"super-mediated" contract talks, designed to hammer out a final agreement
before the 30 days have elapsed. If no contract is forthcoming at the end of
the cooling-off period, either or both parties would be released to engage
in self-help. In our case, that means we would be free to strike.

A response from the NMB will take some time, so don't lose patience. You can
be sure we'll let you know as soon as we hear back from the Board.

Will Skywest Pilots fly ASA struck work? What protections does Skywest have in assuring they will not?

Trojan

Who says Skywest cares - if they profit and grow? Some of the Skywest guys and gals on this forum do not seem to care as long as they benefit. However I am sure some also do not want to be labeled as SCABS either.

VOTED IN FAVOR!
Who are we referring to when we say ASADrivel?

Okay so the NMB proffers binding arbitration to both parties. Obviously its int he companies interests to string things out and not agree to it.

What happens if ASA says no to entering arbitration??? .

Okay so the NMB proffers binding arbitration to both parties. Obviously its int he companies interests to string things out and not agree to it.

What happens if ASA says no to entering arbitration??? .

30 day cooling off period.......We either get a contract in those 30 days or we strike.

Trojan

Latest resources

Back