ASA and Tampa flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

I was looking at a ASA route map. I know the only bases are SLC and ATL but it shows CVG and TPA as bases? How does that work? Do they have a reserve at TPA? How hard is it to hold lines or reserve out of Tampa? Any TPA overnights?

Thanks

ASA has TPA overnights, but no crew bases there. The overnights tend to be on 4 day trips, so they go pretty junior. As an FO you could probably hold the line over the weekend with 12 to 18 months seniority.

Since there is no crew base in TPA, there is no reserve option out of that airport. I know a few people who commute from there and hear good reports about the ability to get to and from ATL out of TPA, or the surrounding airports. Still, commuting for a $19K a year gig is insane.

How long would it be to hold a line to TPA any other time of the week? Is there a long reserve right now at ATL?

Rally said:
How long would it be to hold a line to TPA any other time of the week? Is there a long reserve right now at ATL?
Right now, about 18 to 24 months - but the FO side of the list moves faster and the litiny of bad news following Delta's bankruptcy is bound to scare people off ( me included ).

I'd say 6 months on line before you could hold a four-day line, and maybe 9 to 12 months before you can hold one that doesn't suck (more than 12 days off, partial weekends, etc.) Over half of the hard lines on the 50 are 3 on/4 off, although I bet that will change as we get properly staffed.

(edited to better answer the question)

Last edited:
Sweptback:

He wanted weekends off with TPA during the week - like you said that is at least 12 months for partial weekends. All weekends will take longer. During the winter the Florida overnights get senior. However, if he wants to overnight in BUF, or DSM, this winter he can be my guest.

Further TPA has a lot of Chautauqua flying and it may be that ASA doesn't stay there long after the E170's are on line.

You are correct that it does not take long to get off reserve. I was just talking with the Manager of Crew Planning and he said they anticipate being very short on the 200 this fall due to a backlog in training. A new hire might just be on reserve a month or two.

~~~^~~~

~~~^~~~ said:
He wanted weekends off with TPA during the week - like you said that is at least 12 months for partial weekends. All weekends will take longer. During the winter the Florida overnights get senior. However, if he wants to overnight in BUF, or DSM, this winter he can be my guest.

Ahh, you are correct. I misunderstood his question.

For a newhire to hold weekends off it will be awhile, and to limit overnights to TPA with weekends will be longer still.

I guarantee the TPA overnights in the winter will be matched with BUF and DSM, that's just the typical ASA winter sequence! :rolleyes:

Actually I was refering to any tampa overnights, weekdays or what ever. In otherwords, more days at home I'm not that stingy!
LOL

Rally said:
Actually I was refering to any tampa overnights, weekdays or what ever. In otherwords, more days at home I'm not that stingy!
LOL

Rally,

It is kinda hard for anyone to speculate as to how senior a particular overnight is. Generally the Canada stuff goes senior in the summer and the Fla. and Mexico stuff goes senior in the winter, that is the only real trend.

Also CVG and TPA are simply out stations for ASA. We do a lot flying in both, but they are not a base. Why the company doesn't set up TDY reserve in CVG is beyond me, we cancel a lot of early stuff out of CVG due to crew shortages coming in from overnights and they can't DHD that early so they CNX.

Cheers

Latest resources

Back