Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Any ASA dudes here commute from SLC to ATL? Any major pains in doing so? How long from date day of hire can someone be assigned SLC?

Thanks for any input.
Grunt.

Grunt,
I don't know of anybody that is doing the SLC/ ATL commute, but from experience any commute to Atlanta can be hard at times. It can be done, but you have to really watch what days you are trying to get there and back, ie Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday are usually better than Monday, Friday and Sunday.

As for getting SLC as a new hire the last bid had a guy that was 1685 on the list (02-20-05 hire date) get the bottom spot. He will probably be on reserve a while as there some fo's that I know that are waiting until they can hold a line before they put their bid in. Hope that helps.

Willy

Yeah, it helps a lot, thanks. I am trying to decide between ASA and SkyWest. ASA is extremely tempting since I have the mins right now and I've spoken to people in the hiring dept that want be to call back as soon as I'm done with military training. Then again, SKYW seems to be a better deal if you live in SLC, quicker upgrades, all CRJ training is done locally etc..... (not to mention I work there already)

It's just real hard to hold out until I get 270 more hours!

Any other input is appreciated.

MarineGrunt said:
Yeah, it helps a lot, thanks. I am trying to decide between ASA and SkyWest. ASA is extremely tempting since I have the mins right now and I've spoken to people in the hiring dept that want be to call back as soon as I'm done with military training. Then again, SKYW seems to be a better deal if you live in SLC, quicker upgrades, all CRJ training is done locally etc..... (not to mention I work there already)

Hold out, it'll be worth it. From the commuting aspect as well as the corporate aspect.

A year from now you'll wish you did.

MarineGrunt said:

I don't think it would take you too long to get back to SLC with ASA. There are some pretty junior people going that way. A few other differences between the two, ASA will pay you from day 1, I'm pretty sure Skywest doesn't start until you're in IOE. That's 8-10 weeks. Also, ask your buddies what Skywest's payrate is for the 70 seater...oh yeah, IT'S THE SAME AS THE 50 SEATER!

If your in the SLC Tanker unit, go Skywest. Colocation of Mil and civ jobs allows one to maximize income, and minimize headaches. After LTS, trough till you get mins. Commuting, esp. to sit reserve for a regional, sucks.

I've been doing the SLC - ATL commute for about six months. It is certainly doable. Like the other post said, it varies from day of the week, and time of year. I have also been commuting out of SLC for the last few years to various other domiciles. You have to watch the loads (which is easy with the access to Delta Travel net). Also, if you do have to two step it, it isn't as bad as you would think with the Delta bennies and the ability to reserve the ASA jumpseat. ASA currently has several cities that they fly the CR7 through to ATL. Same plane so you don't run the risk of missing a connection.

Speaking of bennies, as an ASA pilot, you have priority for the Delta jumpseat over the third party DCI carriers i.e. Skywest, Mesa, CHQ, etc. Also, you have a higher priority for nonreving, which can easily make the difference between getting on or not. You also have the option of taking a higher priority if you are in a pinch.

SLC has gone more junior than the has been posted. The most junior person now comes from the 03/05 class. Yes, you will be on reserve, but reserve at home is better than holding a relief (build-up) line in ATL, which is what you will most likely hold in short order. I spent no time on reserve in ATL.

Anyway, the commute is doable. Just watch the loads and make sure you have a couple of backup plans.

P.S. If by chance we get a real commuter clause in the next contract (one like ACA's (Indy's), not the likes of Mesa's) then virtually all the stress of commuting is removed from the equation. With as many flights per day to ATL that there are, you would hardly ever have to two-step it to work.

I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice. I hear that the company is not very warm to the idea.

Latest resources

Back