• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA ALPA Survey Comments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fantastic post. 100% accurate. I had a problem conveying on paper my frustration with this situation and my job. Instead of trying to work towards resolving these issues, all I hear is "suck it up", or "why not just quit".

Our union is clearly off the tracks and doesn't care. In a time when 25% of our list is on reserve they claim to have "examined" scheduling records and deemed that scheduling wasn't holding back more open time than is allowed (6% I think) REALLY? either they are complete idiots, or they think we ARE. Well, evidently we are because we allow them to lie to us with NO CONSEQUENCES.

To correct you, nearly 35% of 200 Captains on reserve!!!! 1 in 3! Nobody
does ANYTHING! Union agrees it cuts down red arrow days for lineholders!

So 35% doesn't violate the amount they are able to hold back? Anybody know what that is? 6%, 12%?

Once again I ask. What keeps them from creating 50 hard lines and putting the rest of us on reserve? Nobody seems to know or care much.

Great flexibility for scheduling. Anybody else feel like the company is testing our resolve for putting up with this?

Agreed. There are waaaaaay too many, and a line is better. It seemed like you were saying too bad, reserve sucks - deal with it.

Sorry-

I didn't mean to come off like that at all.. Joe Merchant is the guy for that pompus B.S.... It is his specialty, seeing that he is our own version of Gen Lee.

Fantastic post. 100% accurate. I had a problem conveying on paper my frustration with this situation and my job. Instead of trying to work towards resolving these issues, all I hear is "suck it up", or "why not just quit".

Our union is clearly off the tracks and doesn't care. In a time when 25% of our list is on reserve they claim to have "examined" scheduling records and deemed that scheduling wasn't holding back more open time than is allowed (6% I think) REALLY? either they are complete idiots, or they think we ARE. Well, evidently we are because we allow them to lie to us with NO CONSEQUENCES.

I have to agree, I don't often post here but on this one I have to second that. CM was in the ATL crew lounge a few months ago talking up PBS and I bought up how the reserve system needs to be changed. This is what I suggested for a new reserve system. First do away with GDOs, instead make 4 day blocks of reserve using 3 different reserve periods (AM, PM, and NAP). Crew planning knows when they need the most reserve coverage based on block hours and sick calls. The reserve lines would be 4 on followed by a minimum of 3 off. Scheduling cannot move days off. That's your schedule, you can only be used within your reserve footprint, but if scheduling just has to use you outside that footprint it would be 1.5 pay on top MMG. I would limit RR to no more than 4 hours. The question then becomes what to do about LCR, because with a 12hr call out and only 4 on, that limits how they can be used and the company is going to balk. So we know that LCRs get assigned much of the uncovered open time, so why not let them bid on it. Maybe within 48hr of your 4 day block you can bid on any trip that falls within your 4 day LCR. If a trip is partly in the 4 day window and partly out and you bid and can hold it, scheduling has to drop the part that is out, but they can add within in your 4 day window honoring the 12hr call out.

Any uncovered reserve days could be put into open time, if a line holder picks up reserve days they would get the greater of min day credit or block time regardless of whether they were used or not.

When I brought this up, CM came up with some BS about some rotating RR that when I looked at it, I thought he was absolutley nuts. There was no way anyone would go for it.

My $.02, discuss.

When I brought this up, CM came up with some BS about some rotating RR that when I looked at it, I thought he was absolutley nuts. There was no way anyone would go for it.

My $.02, discuss.

lonestarpilot, I like that idea.

If CM doesn't like it to bad! He doesn't make policy

Take it to SP, RV, AH, KA, and DN. Blow up their phones with the idea. Get all the reserves on board with it.

I have to agree, I don't often post here but on this one I have to second that. CM was in the ATL crew lounge a few months ago talking up PBS and I bought up how the reserve system needs to be changed. This is what I suggested for a new reserve system. First do away with GDOs, instead make 4 day blocks of reserve using 3 different reserve periods (AM, PM, and NAP). Crew planning knows when they need the most reserve coverage based on block hours and sick calls. The reserve lines would be 4 on followed by a minimum of 3 off. Scheduling cannot move days off. That's your schedule, you can only be used within your reserve footprint, but if scheduling just has to use you outside that footprint it would be 1.5 pay on top MMG. I would limit RR to no more than 4 hours. The question then becomes what to do about LCR, because with a 12hr call out and only 4 on, that limits how they can be used and the company is going to balk. So we know that LCRs get assigned much of the uncovered open time, so why not let them bid on it. Maybe within 48hr of your 4 day block you can bid on any trip that falls within your 4 day LCR. If a trip is partly in the 4 day window and partly out and you bid and can hold it, scheduling has to drop the part that is out, but they can add within in your 4 day window honoring the 12hr call out.

Any uncovered reserve days could be put into open time, if a line holder picks up reserve days they would get the greater of min day credit or block time regardless of whether they were used or not.

My $.02, discuss.

What open time? PBS remember?

I agree with the original post.

I have shared this before on the alpa forum, but here's my 2 cents on what needs to be done:

1. We need to close the alpa offices. Our alpa reps need to be in the crew lounge! Set them up a desk in the corner of the crew lounge. Right now it is too easy for them to be "out of sight - out of mind". I believe if they had to face the pilots they represent :rolleyes: everyday, I believe they would be a little more accountable.

I just came through a grievance process. Never once did I feel like I was being represented! To get anything done, I had to call and call, email and text. You have to aggravate the sh it out of them to get anything done!

2. We need to fire our alpa lawyer and DEMAND alpa provide a better one!
My grievance eventually went to mediation (or whatever its called). Our lawyer was so unprepared it was embarrassing. He started trying to argue my case, it was so obvious he didn't know what he was talking about. He had everyone jumping page to page in this info packet he made up. Most didn't have anything to do with my case. Everyone's packet was out of order and pages were missing. He just confused the whole group. He was a cluster.

My meeting lasted maybe 20 minutes. But in that short time frame, it was sooo obvious our layer was not together. Now, the company's lawyer....it didn't take but just a few minutes to realize he had his act together. You could just sense he was a bulldog.

3. We don't need pilots negotiating our contract. We need pilots giving input...and have an experienced professional to negotiate. Baseball players don't negotiate there own contracts. There hire professionals to do it. I am sure they are involved. But they are not sending a bunch of outfielders in there to negotiate.

Latest resources

Back