Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
I love some of the program descriptions the people at DirecTV come up with. For example, today at five o'clock...
...the pilot of flight ASA 529 is forced to make an emergency landing when a wing falls off.
:rolleyes:

I saw the thing, and while I thought it was informative, the canadian accents that everyone had (nothing like a mish-mash of canadian-american southern accent to wonder what the hell youre watching) were driving me nuts. I noticed that the first controller wasnt even wearing a headset and was using an area mic; NOT. I was watching one of these shows a few weeks back, about a B757 off the coast of South America with covered static ports, and the flight displays looked like something out of MS Flight Simulator!

However, I feel for the family of the Captain, who was killed upon impact. I am happy that the F/O (who appeared to have suffered some facial burns), has returned to flying the line.

The book "Nine Minutes, Twenty Seconds" is a pretty good account of this accident. After reading it I would bet none of the survivors ever look at an FA as a "trolly dolly" again.

I don't know if they used a model or CGI or what, but the inflight views of 529 after the prop failue were...eerie.

Flywrite said:
The book "Nine Minutes, Twenty Seconds" is a pretty good account of this accident. After reading it I would bet none of the survivors ever look at an FA as a "trolly dolly" again.

I second this...it's a decent read.

dispatchguy said:
I am happy that the F/O (who appeared to have suffered some facial burns), has returned to flying the line.

ABC did a special on the crash a couple years ago but the link I have no longer works (http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_990517_crash_feature.html). My understanding is that Matt Warmerdam, the first officer, was trapped in the cockpit wreckage and suffered the burns while firefighters extricated him from the wreckage as while simultaneously battling the post crash fire.As a result he suffered severe burns down the entire side of his body requiring numerous (10+) operations/skin grafts during his road to recovery.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back