AS 4Q/Full Year Profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Chief Pilot

Alaska Air Group Inc., operator of Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, said more traffic and higher revenue helped it posted a $24.1 million fourth-quarter profit.
(AP)

The company, based in Seattle, said Thursday its earnings for the final three months of 2009 amounted to 67 cents a share, compared to a loss of $75.2 million, or $2.08 a share, for the same period in 2008.
Without certain items, its profit came to 12 cents a share for the quarter.
Revenue in the quarter rose more than 2 percent to $846.1 million from $827.1 million a year earlier.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected adjusted fourth-quarter profit of 32 cents a share on revenue of $821.2 million.
Alaska Air Group reported full-year 2009 net income of $121.6 million, or $3.36 a share, compared to a net loss of $135.9 million, or $3.74 a share, in 2008. Twelve-month revenue fell to $3.40 billion from $3.66 billion in 2008.

The company spent $172.5 million on aircraft fuel, including hedging gains and losses, in the fourth quarter, less than half of the $358.8 million it spent in the same period of 2008.
Alaska Air is doing better financially than some of the bigger carriers because it does not have as much international exposure as them.
Chief Financial Officer Glenn Johnson told investors last month the company is remaining disciplined in terms of capacity, which is measured by the available seats an airline offers times the miles flown.

The parent company said at the time that Alaska Airlines' capacity is expected to increase 1 percent to 2 percent in 2010, while Horizon Air's will probably be flat.
Alaska Air has a partnership with Delta Air Lines, the world's biggest airline.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air serve more than 90 cities through their network in Alaska, Hawaii, the continental U.S., Canada and Mexico.

What a nice profit on the backs of our furloughed guys. What would the profit had been if they were all back and working? Total BS! Some family airline eh? I REALLY hope the rumors are true about a PDX base and recalls, it would be nice to get back to 2008 staffing. Good luck to us all!!

Baja.

I've been furloughed before. Believe me, getting recalled happens a hell of a lot faster at a company turning a profit. I know it sucks, but it's the best news you can get at this point.

Congratulations to everyone at Alaska, hopefully the recalls will start soon. Your profit was double Jetblue's on about the same amount of revenue.

You guys signed a new contract, have plenty of cash in the bank, made money for the whole year, and still have guys furloughed? Pardon me but, WTF?!?!

Family airline? That's a joke. I know a female pilot there that was refused extra paternity leave. She had left then come back so legaly they didn't have to grant it and they didn't. It's one of the best airlines and it still sucks. The best of the worst.

Family airline? That's a joke. I know a female pilot there that was refused extra paternity leave. She had left then come back so legaly they didn't have to grant it and they didn't. It's one of the best airlines and it still sucks. The best of the worst.

A female pilot that asked for paternity leave?

Hmmmm. I think I saw that on Jerry Springer one time.

Latest resources

Back