Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Article states Delta made $863 million in bag fees, and $766 million in change fees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly. "Hey you don't want to pay the bag fee? No problem, sign here." Then all of a sudden people get suckered in to the skymiles mentality and then you become a "GOLD" member, striving for that medallion status - those free upgrades and skyclub access. O yea you've made it now! All the while Delta has taken your brain out of the market. You no longer look at other airlines when deciding to fly, because goddamit you're gonna be medallion some day, son!

That's the best part, Frequent fliers / CC users are exempt from most normal bag fees, it's the expedia crowd and once every two year fliers (or frequent fliers with no brand loyalty) that suck up these fees.

Yep. I used to think the change and bag fees were bad ideas, until I saw the following exchange between a passenger and a gate agent.

Pax: "I'm scheduled for the flight to LGA an hour from now. I was wondering if I could get on this one instead?"

Agent: "That will be a $75 change fee."

Pax: "I'm Silver Medallion. Does that make a difference?"

Agent: "Sorry, we only waive the change fee for Gold and higher."

Pax (without ONE second hesitation): "Okay, I'll pay the $75."

So why shouldn't DAL or any other carrier charge the fees? The contract of carriage is between the passenger and DAL for the flight they originally booked. If they want to change that, that's great. Doesn't mean DAL has to grant it for free. Also, in most cases (and probably this one) it isn't so much the pax as the corporate travel office that is paying the change fee anyway.

Good for Delta. Just like ANY other industry, if you want more stuff... you pay more for what you get. It is really a simple concept!

This is the kind of mentality that will find them charging for the use of the lav someday.

Interesting without these charges Delta would have had a significant loss during those years. History has shown that at some point those extra charges will eventually not make any difference. Just like charging for meals and non alcohol drinks.

This type of bragging always turns into something different.

Good luck to us all.

This both good and bad. Here are the 2 different sides to reading this article:

Shareholder and Employee opinion: This is great, we are making money again !!!

Customer opinion: Fly Delta...get nickle and dimed to death with fees.

side note: BUT...customers are stupid so they will continue to pay the fees and pay more in the end then a more expensive all inclusive ticket. Good for Delta.

This aint Amtrak. DL has to make money consistantly to eventually buy bigger airplanes to compete with the likes of your company, Emirates. You have to have big, NEW, airplanes to compete on Global scale.

Bye Bye---General Lee

This is the kind of mentality that will find them charging for the use of the lav someday.

Interesting without these charges Delta would have had a significant loss during those years. History has shown that at some point those extra charges will eventually not make any difference. Just like charging for meals and non alcohol drinks.

Good luck to us all.

How do you combat higher gas? Oh, wait, you buy a refinery. That is one way of thinking outside of the box. Again, this isn't AMTRAK. Profits need to be made. Would there have been a big loss without the fees? Maybe. I'm glad there wasn't. That is what management should be pushing for, PROFITS. As far as paying for the toilet, the only airline that has stated they could do that was Ryannair in Europe, and it is a Southwest model LCC. Remember, SWA still charges for bags too, on the Airtran side. They could easily stop that if they wanted to, but for some reason they do not...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Or you could fly an airline that spends 100's of millions a year on ads to tell you that your bag flies for free and then roll that cost into your ticket. Some people feel better when they hear free!! As the old adage goes, nothing is free, especially if the company advertises it. I wonder how much an ad(s) cost during an NFL game or to put ads on billboards in every major city?

They still charge for bags at Airtran, owned by Southwest.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Good luck to us all.

Times change. There used to be a time when hedging fuel was a unique idea and the airline who did it best had a competitive advantage. Now most airlines hedge fuel so the bar has to be raised in another area. It's marketing to the consumer. If you owned a small business you would be creative in ways to gain the most profit. If you don't you will incur a loss and eventually go out of business.

Delta has an obligation to it's shareholders and employees - so does Southwest. Each has an excellent product but it's a competitive marketplace. Any idea that creates almost a billion dollars annually is hard not to consider.

Just sayin'...

How do you combat higher gas? Oh, wait, you buy a refinery. That is one way of thinking outside of the box.
GL when your box starts spewing cash you feel free to give me the "I told you so".
What DAL has done is a very very risky venture. If it works good for you. But lets be real here. What goes into a refinery is paid for at a world market rate. You still have to refine it, which costs money. So just like airlines selling hotels, rental cars, food, movies ect. It is just a way to try to get a few more cents to flow to the airline per passenger. I hope you can say I told you so.

P.S. My Dad just retired from 31 years of refinery work. He laughed when I told him of this venture. I think it will be a great way to write off a lot of taxes myself.

Delta has an obligation to it's shareholders and employees - so does Southwest. Each has an excellent product but it's a competitive marketplace. Any idea that creates almost a billion dollars annually is hard not to consider.

Just sayin'...

I completely agree.

It just won't last as an advantage.

Just sayin'

How do you combat higher gas? Oh, wait, you buy a refinery. That is one way of thinking outside of the box. Again, this isn't AMTRAK. Profits need to be made. Would there have been a big loss without the fees? Maybe. I'm glad there wasn't. That is what management should be pushing for, PROFITS. As far as paying for the toilet, the only airline that has stated they could do that was Ryannair in Europe, and it is a Southwest model LCC. Remember, SWA still charges for bags too, on the Airtran side. They could easily stop that if they wanted to, but for some reason they do not...

Bye Bye---General Lee

I have found rationalizing with you is impossible. It is amazing you have chosen this profession.

My comment had nothing to do with a Delta vs SWA bashing of which you have a neurotic attachment. We are all in this together if your myopic point of view has not seen yet.

Good luck to us all.

Latest resources

Back