Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Article states Delta made $863 million in bag fees, and $766 million in change fees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This aint Amtrak. DL has to make money consistantly to eventually buy bigger airplanes to compete with the likes of your company, Emirates. You have to have big, NEW, airplanes to compete on Global scale.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Delta making money.

Do you forget that we have to compete with the likes of your company, Delta, as well? Nobody stopped Delta from purchasing new and larger aircraft instead of more RJ's.

Delta uses its 5th freedom rights out of NRT.....How would you feel if Emirates created a hub in LAX or ATL when Delta is doing the same thing in someone else's backyard. Should the government step in to protect Delta?

Also, when you assumed that Emirates was getting cheap fuel in Dubai, which is not the case, you were on here complaining about it......BUT....now that Delta has purchased a refinery and may reap the benefits of some cheaper fuel in the Northeast, I don't hear you complaining about an "unfair" advantage.

Interesting times.

Last edited:
I didn't say there was anything wrong with Delta making money.

Do you forget that we have to compete with the likes of your company, Delta, as well? Nobody stopped Delta from purchasing new and larger aircraft instead of more RJ's.

Delta uses its 5th freedom rights out of NRT.....How would you feel if Emirates created a hub in LAX or ATL when Delta is doing the same thing in someone else's backyard. Should the government step in to protect Delta?

Also, when you assumed that Emirates was getting cheap fuel in Dubai, which is not the case, you were on here complaining about it......BUT....now that Delta has purchased a refinery and may reap the benefits of some cheaper fuel in the Northeast, I don't hear you complaining about an "unfair" advantage.

Interesting times.

Delta used NW's authority at NRT. UAL used Pan Am's. If Emirates wants to buy another airline, they may be able to do it as well. I know what you are saying about LAX and ATL and Emirates, but you probably also know that most US airports are limited on space for gates, only able to give new entrants a couple flights per day. Emirates protects it's hub in DXB, and the legacies do the same here in the States.

What Emirates does benefit from is cheaper labor (all over Dubai---maybe not the pilots, but almost everyone else), and I think the Gov't of Dubai helped finance the start of your airline. The fuel may not be free, but start up costs weren't bad, because nobody can start an airline and just order 90 A380s and 150 777s.

As far as Delta purchasing more widebodies, I am hearing things about a possible future order, but Delta has had it's problems, along with most legacies, since 9-11. Emirates has grown since then, but if the Iran situation explodes, your airline may unfortunately experience the same deal, with a huge slowdown of passengers and freight in that whole region. Things happen. Some of your A380s have been parked for awhile awaiting those wing spar replacement parts, and that has lead to some involutary leaves for your cabin crew (as told to me by an Emirates Cabin Crew member in DUS last week). Things happen that are out of our control sometimes. But, I hope we all enjoy great careers.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I have found rationalizing with you is impossible. It is amazing you have chosen this profession.

My comment had nothing to do with a Delta vs SWA bashing of which you have a neurotic attachment. We are all in this together if your myopic point of view has not seen yet.

Good luck to us all.

I didn't slam SWA at all. I was saying the ONLY airline considering the pay for the lav idea is Ryannair, out of Ireland. I didn't say SWA was doing that. Ryannair is a SWA clone, one aircraft type, modeled after you guys. I agree that we are all in this together, and I hope we all make more money and keep the bar high for others.

Bye Bye---General Lee

GL when your box starts spewing cash you feel free to give me the "I told you so".
What DAL has done is a very very risky venture. If it works good for you. But lets be real here. What goes into a refinery is paid for at a world market rate. You still have to refine it, which costs money. So just like airlines selling hotels, rental cars, food, movies ect. It is just a way to try to get a few more cents to flow to the airline per passenger. I hope you can say I told you so.

P.S. My Dad just retired from 31 years of refinery work. He laughed when I told him of this venture. I think it will be a great way to write off a lot of taxes myself.

Most people disagree with you. First of all, Delta made $1.5 billion in FEES last year alone. The Refinery deal cost about $180 million, and it is expected to save $300 million per year. Delta Airlines will own it, but Monroe Energy will run it (Delta was founded way back when in Monroe, LA). Monroe Energy will have oil people running it, and the deal is BP will ship oil from Nigeria, or will have it trucked or barged from places like North Dakota. Delta will take the Jet A only (12% of a barrel of oil), and give the rest to BP. Two other oil companies in the NE will also take any oil products that DL does not want in the Deleware facility and trade DL Jet A in other parts of the NE, all at cheaper prices than normal.(SWAP deals) No more paying for "refinery costs" or the middle man in the NE. Sounds like a great deal, right? When the price of crude goes down, the refinery actually is more profitable, (the refinery business). Add to that the fuel surcharges are still in place, and that means even more profits. Fuel is the number one expense at airlines now, and it was very smart to try to tackle that problem. Again, pay $180 million to get $300 million per year in savings. No brainer. And, oil people will run it. Make sure you tell your dad my response.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
GL, if delta started selling deep fat fried turds on a stick you would tell us all how great they are. If any other airline came up with that idea you would be the first to tell us how dumb of an idea it is since all turds taste like crap.

GL, if delta started selling deep fat fried turds on a stick you would tell us all how great they are. If any other airline came up with that idea you would be the first to tell us how dumb of an idea it is since all turds taste like crap.

Look, these management types are probably a lot smarter that you and your dad. Get over it. Oil people are running the oil refinery, and it will be owned by Delta. The only people who don't like the idea are you, your dad, and refinery analysts on CNBC who are scared sh#$$less. BP and two other oil companies signed on, but you and your dad know better.....Have a great one!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Who said we didn't like the idea? I like it because I personally think it is a stupid idea. It is an old refinery that was shuttered.

Now you have a great one. Bye Bye

You think tackling your biggest cost is a BAD idea? Really? You think paying the middle man (the refineries) is a good idea? You sound like a genius, NOT. Just because nobody else has tried it means the DL CEO is wrong according to you and your dad. Thanks Warren Buffett.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back