• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Arrow Air to cease operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, if ESL is all it takes to enjoy the job at Centurion then maybe you should sign up for an adult level class and then re-apply Gringo! They aren't to expensive, or difficult to find especially in the MIA area. Let me know if you need help finding a location; I would be more than glad to help.

El Guapo
Former ESL student and a happy pilot because of it.

I thought that was pretty funny... but it's ESOL... I have a few friends there and they like it. Like every other place it's got issues, but it's some of the most challenging flying you can do...

Former ESOL student and a happy pilot because of it too...

Well, if ESL is all it takes to enjoy the job at Centurion then maybe you should sign up for an adult level class and then re-apply Gringo! They aren't to expensive, or difficult to find especially in the MIA area. Let me know if you need help finding a location; I would be more than glad to help.

El Guapo
Former ESL student and a happy pilot because of it.

Gracias, Senior Guapo, I appreciate your concern.

However, you completely missed the point I was making, while completely validating it at the same time! Impressive!

My original statement had nothing to do with whether one understands English or not. It's more of a statement of where you come from.

High Schools basically offer two types of English classes. English X01 (101, 201, 301, etc etc) and ESL.

English X01 is geared for people born and raised here (or Europeans and Asians, strangely enough) while ESL, on the other hand, is geared for people who come from south of Texas. Either Latin America, South America or the Caribbean, it doesn't matter.

Following me so far?

Ok, so, by stating "if you took ESL in High School", I was being very subtle in saying, in a nutshell, "if you're a Yanquee, you won't have a good time here. If you're a Beaner, then you'll fit right in."

Centurion is a Latino Good-ol-Boy's Club. Mind you, I have no problem with good-ol-boy clubs. It's just that my textbook in class read "English 101"; I'm not a Latino, so it's not my club. If I was a Latino, my paystub would still read "Centurion".

That being said, there were some aspects that I did enjoy; I liked flying out and being back the next morning. It was more of a "widebody flying club" than an international ACMI operation. I did get more face time with the family. MIA-BOG got boring after a while, but at least the controllers were consistent. They were bad, but they were consistently bad.

But it is a Miami based operation, and by definition, "MIA based"=scumbag. Just like every other MIA based operation, especially if you're a Gringo Yanquee. It doesn't help that the owner, Alfonso, is from Argentina. Argentine bosses are the worst kind of South American bosses. My wife, from South America, agrees, as do many of my South American friends. I totally respect the man and what he's built, but I don't respect the methods he used. Be prepared to be treated like doggie-poop. A lot.

Anyway, I digress. I'll get off my soapbox and wrap it up with this summary:

ESL=Centurion good place to be.
English X01= You can do better.

Hi!

My CEO was ESL. I have a friend who was EFL (English as a Fourth Language)!

cliff
GRB
PS-Yo hablo un poquito de espanol.
Centurion would be a lot better than my current job (if I even have a current job...not sure!).

Maitlin Patterson strikes again! 2 of the 5 airlines they've owned has died and the other 3 are on life support. Some record. I think I would be divesting from thier hedge fund. That is if I had any money left after getting screwed by them.

Gringo,

Gringo,

I didn't miss the point at all; I was just responding
to your comment with a smart arse response because
your comment sounded very ignorant!!

Yes it's true that many MIA based companies hire
mostly Spanish speaking pilot, but then again that's
about 90% of the local demographics down here.
I'm sure that companies seek out local pilot and not
their cultural background; I don't know!

BTW, I don't work for a MIA based company but if I lived
in MIA I probably would because a lot of 'em fly out
and back, and that Sounds like a sweet deal to me!

I hope you're happy with your current employer!

Peace,

El Guapo

Gringo,

Gringo,

I didn't miss the point at all; I was just responding
to your comment with a smart arse response because
your comment sounded very ignorant!!

Yes it's true that many MIA based companies hire
mostly Spanish speaking pilot, but then again that's
about 90% of the local demographics down here.
I'm sure that companies seek out local pilot and not
their cultural background; I don't know!

BTW, I don't work for a MIA based company but if I lived
in MIA I probably would because a lot of 'em fly out
and back, and that Sounds like a sweet deal to me!

I hope you're happy with your current employer!

Peace,

El Guapo

Very happy with my current employer, thanks!

My original comment was not ignorant at all; fact remains if you're from south of the border you will have a much better time at Centurion than if you're born and raised here.

Still have friends over there; those from Cuba and South America are having a good time. Those from New York and Illinois, not so much! I even had a friend, born in Puerto Rico but raised stateside, who couldn't stand the corporate culture- even HE felt like a gringo, and was treated as such by fellow pilots.

So back to my original statement; if you're from South America, Central America or the Caribbean, you'll enjoy the place much more than if you come from (almost) anywhere in the US.

And yes, flying out and backs to South America WAS a pretty sweet deal. Except for the whole living in MIA part. That place is a MESS!

Maitlin Patterson strikes again! 2 of the 5 airlines they've owned has died and the other 3 are on life support. Some record. I think I would be divesting from thier hedge fund. That is if I had any money left after getting screwed by them.

1. ATA
2. World
3. NAA
4. Arrow
5. ??

who's the 5th?

Latest resources

Back