Arrivals into Mem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ArcticFlier said:
Um.....yeah. I do. Once in awhile, I ask ATC which way guys are going around weather, but that's about it. Someone else said it.........your info can be old and therefore less reliable than what we are seeing real time. Ease up a bit, would you?

no, i won't ease up a bit. my flight explorer updates about every 15 seconds. so i would say that it's pretty much real time. i happen to dispatch for fedex and i know how much the crews rely on us to get them through weather domestically. i pretty much stay in constant contact with my flights updating them. also, dispatchers have long range radar capabilities. what's the range of the radar onboard the a/c? as previously stated, we are a team. pilots CAN'T do their jobs without dispatchers and atc.

ss9e said:
no, i won't ease up a bit. my flight explorer updates about every 15 seconds. so i would say that it's pretty much real time. i happen to dispatch for fedex and i know how much the crews rely on us to get them through weather domestically. i pretty much stay in constant contact with my flights updating them. also, dispatchers have long range radar capabilities. what's the range of the radar onboard the a/c? as previously stated, we are a team. pilots CAN'T do their jobs without dispatchers and atc.

It's nice your company can afford a system that updates aircraft positions and weather every 15 seconds. I bet the boxes appreciate the better ride.

In the regional airline domain, our Atari software updates every five minutes or so. If we set it up to update any faster than that, we are in computer lockup hell. After all of my time here, I now advise crews where I see breaks in weather, ask them what the aircraft radar looks like and I might ask them to request suggestions from ATC because they have the real time information. I don't. Of course, I might have 20 other flights in the air and 12 releases to do in an hour so I am usually too dam busy to even talk to half of them. It's sad but you most of you regional flight crews are on your own when the weather is bad.

When a crew calls me before a flight to ask what the weather looks like I like to add the RIGHT NOW disclaimer to the brief. I can tell you what it looks like RIGHT THEN, but in ten minutes it's going to be a whole different scenario. Thunderstorms are dynamic, ever-evolving creatures. Summer is a bitch for weather.

Good luck.

Last edited:
405 said:
It's nice your company can afford a system that updates aircraft positions and weather every 15 seconds. I bet the boxes appreciate the better ride.

it is nice. get your @$$ over here. we need to get a whole 9e crew over here.

ss9e said:
well, just a few. you know who.

Do you really want to work with "Its weefr so I dont care if you go to Denwer". I know I would just for the entertainment value.

Last edited:
quartermile said:
Do you really want to work with "Its weefr so I dont care if you go to Denwer". I know I would just for the entertainment value.

hell yeah i want to work with "today's code word is Wenus. Wictor echo noWember uniform sierra." we could jumpseat to las Wegas or maybe the Wirgin islands.

Sorry but Artic flier is right...

ss9e said:

Your flight explorer and assosiated wx may update every 15 seconds, but its not real time. Time to chill. i am sure AF appreciates what dispatch does for him, but stitting up front, he has a better view of real time cells developing right in front of the aircraft.

For long range flight planning, yeah you are right. We are a team, but every team has a captain right?

Flight Explorer updates the WX and traffic evrey 15 seconds, but the info from the FAA and NOAA are BOTH 12-25 minutes old. Period.

At Fedex, you see the SAME info that us piddly little regionals see.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back