• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flopgut said:
Here is a great website: www.braniffpages.com

I wonder if Alfred Kahn's research accounted for this possibility:

They aren't going to support any new airports or terminals that cost them any money, so forget about that. And they aren't going to do any complicated flying that perserves our air transportation system. For instance: If SWA is able to erode Alaska's route system/profit base to the point that they can no longer do the important flying in the Alaskan wilderness that service will be lost forever. SWA is not going to do it. Project that example onto the whole country and you can see the long term effect of de-regulation.

QUOTE]

SWA just poured millions into facilities at ISP, TPA, PHX, and BWI. These are nice terminals that are vast improvements compared to what was there. Money spent by SWA, not the airlines do the "complicated" flying.

On another note, Could someone please produce the document signed by Herb Kelleher when the Wright Ammendment was imposed. You know the one that says SWA will always operate out of DAL and stop at the neighboring states. Also the one that says SWA agree's to these conditions, and will never challenge them. You "SWA wants to change the rules" people are starting to sound like a bunch of scorned X-wives. If the document exists I will acknowledge the fact, and promise to shut my pie hole.

Chest Rockwell said:
Not making excuses. SWA management did not write the WA. PHL is not a crew base, mx base, or hub (I think we have 3 or 4 gates there). 9 minutes times 100 flights is 15 unproductive hours a day.

If you want airline mgmt to be held accountable better start with those underfunding pensions and then dumping them on the taxpayers (I applaud AA for not going this route).

SWA has evolved into more of a long-haul carrier, at least to the extent the B737 will allow. In the post 9/11 world, short-haul is loosing to the automobile due to the airport security time/hassle factor. SWA has reacted to the market demands and opportunities with the capabilities of the B737-700W.

As far as patronizing traditional air transportation, ask any airport manager which always airline pays their bills on time.

What are your taxi times going to be when the WA is repealed? You know, when you setluvfree you are going to have a lot more company over there. Expect some heavy breathers in there too, they taxi pretty slow sometimes don't they? The ATC staff is going to be fretting this too. More grey hairs, operational errors, washouts, etc. all with SWA to blame. You think that is going to help SWA keep the most-favored airline status with the ATC folks? I think the aggresive taxi/ground handling and non-standard radio jibberish is going to have to come to an end. Ground stops, flow control, EDTC times...they might become a bigger reality. Of course, if any of this adversly effects SWA we can all expect the outcry to be like that of an upset child. You will see the SWA spin machine pressing for changes to somehow perserve a SWA advantage. SWA will probably want the operational agreement between DFW and Love to be changed in their favor. Maybe have to limit some international arrivals to DFW so SWA can be kept in the style and comfort they are used to.

aside from reagan national...are there any other airports in the u.s. that have legislated limits re. how far/where the departures can fly to?

isn't the argument that the wright amendment has been in place and therefore it's ok kind of bs?

jim wright was a powerful dude and essentially dfw was a pork project for his town...so now that it is up and running why should it need a "non-free market economy" (ie government legislated intervention)? seems like the free market should be the determining factor as to who flies where.

fact is AA can't compete head-to-head very well with swa for conus flights...the wright amendment is a way for them to avoid head-to-head competition. AA knows that swa has no intention of moving the operation to dfw...not only because it doesn't fit the business model...it would be very expensive to move. so AA knows it's not a real offer to say "SWA can fly out of DFW....blah blah blah" that is like saying "AA can just fly out of antarctica."

republicans have bigger fish to fry right now and they don't like change...but laws that restrict commerce aren't popular with the current congress or the administration.

i think kay bailey hutchinson should recuse herself from any discussions...isn't her husband on the dang board at AA...how much more of a conflict of interest could there be?

Flopgut said:
There are more airlines than just SWA that have to compete with Ch. 11 carriers.

Furthermore, SWA having to compete with these carriers is really no different than airlines having to compete with SWA's unique advantage at Love. An unearned, ill-gotten advantage.

Um what would that be? There are open gates at DAL - come on in. There is a hude difference - any airline can come to DAL - we have to pay all of our bills because we have been too well run to declare CH 11.

The SWA penchant for not patronizing the traditional air transportation system in meaningful fashion is no different in spirit than these Ch. 11 airlines dropping their retirements on the taxpayers. Except that these carriers were all principal to the birth and heyday of the greatest transportation system in the world. SWA is not, never was, and never will be.

Get off of your high horse - don't you ever get tired of busting on SWA? So we have a "penchant patronize the traditional air transportation system"? That is a lot of really big words. It is also another lie: we don't use runways, or terminals, or airplanes? Fancy words don't make something true. As so many of you have pointed out we go into LAX and other large "traditional" airports. You are just miffed that we don't go to DFW or ORD. We don't go there because we don't want to, it is the wrong location for our business and it is inconvienent to our customers.

Set LOVE free!

Flopgut said:
What are your taxi times going to be when the WA is repealed? They will be about the same, we pull off of the runway and into te gate at Love, that is why we like airports like that, there just isn't miles and miles of taxiway for you to clog up You know, when you setluvfree you are going to have a lot more company over there. Expect some heavy breathers in there too, they taxi pretty slow sometimes don't they? The ATC staff is going to be fretting this too. More grey hairs, operational errors, washouts, etc. all with SWA to blame. You think that is going to help SWA keep the most-favored airline status with the ATC folks? because of other airline's mistakes? I think the aggresive taxi/ground handling and non-standard radio jibberish is going to have to come to an end. I agree with this entirely, although our definitions of "aggresive" may not be the saeme. Ground stops, flow control, EDTC times...they might become a bigger reality. Um see Love field master plan ... this is what we could expect at DFW, but we are not worried about Love at all. Of course, if any of this adversly effects SWA we can all expect the outcry to be like that of an upset child. sort of like all of your posts ..... You will see the SWA spin machine pressing for changes to somehow perserve a SWA advantage. SWA will probably want the operational agreement between DFW and Love to be changed in their favor. Maybe have to limit some international arrivals to DFW so SWA can be kept in the style and comfort they are used to.

Dude get a grip ... you are comming totally unhinged.

Cyclone said:
AA knows that swa has no intention of moving the operation to dfw...not only because it doesn't fit the business model...it would be very expensive to move.

Yes, they know it would be very expensive. They were forced to do it.

On another note, Could someone please produce the document signed by Herb Kelleher when the Wright Ammendment was imposed. You know the one that says SWA will always operate out of DAL and stop at the neighboring states. Also the one that says SWA agree's to these conditions, and will never challenge them. You "SWA wants to change the rules" people are starting to sound like a bunch of scorned X-wives. If the document exists I will acknowledge the fact, and promise to shut my pie hole.[/QUOTE]

You don't need anything like that. Quit with the grandstanding. You have actual historical data, the actual events, the real results. No airline wanted to leave Love, they were deceived. In the case of Braniff, they were forced to stop flying there by a court order. SWA had a close relationship with Lady Bird and they were handed the mother of all airline entitlments: their own airport!

Looking forward, we can't continue to have this sort of thing going on in our air transportation system.

Please, all this discussion with regard to who signed what and who agreed to what is tiring. Regardless of your position, the WA is anti-competitive as well as anti-business. DAL is here and it is here to stay, much like DFW. I read these fictitious rumors that jobs will be lost and that North Texas will suffer, my question is; how? We will have more people come through North Texas and the income from that will still be kept in North Texas. DFW is like any other landlord, they want to fill empty space. DFW would love the additional landing fees, as well as the revenue from passenger’s spending money in their terminals. I assume DAL would LUV that as well; however this is about SWA right to fly where ever it wants to, not about paying DFW’s debt. Forget the past and look to the future, laws change all the time and we all seem to deal with it just fine and go on with our lives. So, stick to ANTI-COMPETITIVE, because that is what the WA insures, and as far as the rest of the arguments, it just seems to be like a dawg that won’t hunt.

Latest resources

Back