Army WOFT Age Limit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

45caldevldog

I read a few threads here regarding becoming an Army reverve WO, and flying helos. I have a few questions for people that are in the know.

I am a former Marine, if you couldn't tell by my handle, although I've been out for almost nine years. I have a cush corporate pilot gig, and if my wife knew I was even remotely considering going back into the military, she'd kick my @ss. I almost did an interservice transfer to the warrant program back in 96-97, but decided to get out and try civilian life. I just turned 33 last month. I have over 5000 fixed wing hours, and around 3000 of those are in jets. The idea of flying helos around gets me fired up. The patriotic side of me wants to get in the fight, and I know I am way too old and fat to back to the Marines, plus they'd probably make me go back thru boot, and bust me down in rank. No thanks. The warrant program, on the other hand looks interesting, because I could put my aviation experience to good use. I know if I had to I could slim off a few pounds for the WOFT.

My questions are these:
- Would I have a snowballs chance in hell at 33 years old?
- Would I still have to go thru silly Army boot first, or would they count my four years as a Marine? ( no offense army dudes)
- Does what you fly depend on the needs of the Army, or what the unit apply to flies?

Any answers.... thanks!

I don't know the answers to all of your questions. I think you'd be fine at 33, no boot, and always needs of the Army (but if you are at the top of your class you can usually get your first choice).

My advice - go to http://aptap.forumco.com and do a search for more info, or just ask the question there and someone with more knowledge than I can help you out. Best of luck.

can't hurt to try.

I filled out all the paper work for the Army Warrant Officer program almost 3 years ago when 31 and a few months. I passed everything and everyone kept telling me it was looking good. When the board finally met the very last thing they looked at was my age waiver. Denied.

Months later my recruiter (30yrs. old) called and said that the Army had been pressuring them to recruite more Warrant candidates. He also said they had turned him down for the program as well.

However, times are different now. Maybe they really need applicants. I say jump through the hoops and see what happens. By the way I am a former Marine as well and was a 900 hr. Flight Instructor at the time.

Give 'em hell,

-Keith

I've been told by two NG units, (both Apache) that they can get waivers up to 33. From what I gather both the NG and the active Army are in need of WOFT candidates.

Oh, and I'm a former Marine as well, semper fi. :beer: Happy birthday for tomorrow.

I think the answer really depends on a number of variables - all of which for the most part are beyond the control of the applicatants. If we keep in mind that the Army and Reserve components have a specified number of positions to fill at any given time, it is not dissimilar to the hiring process at the airlines (the ones that are hiring that is). When it comes time for board selection, the candidates is presented afterwhich the board selects the candidates that are not only the best qualified, but also suit the needs of the service at the time the selection board meets.

Now considering that for the most part, the current 'stop loss' has prevented a lot of soldiers from ETS'ing and consequently the Army, Reserve, or Guard might be anticipating a mass exodus once stop loss is discontinued and hence a more liberal selection process. Alternatively, in times when stop-loss is nto a factor and staffing levels are not adversely impacted by the kinds of global conflicts the military currently faces, then the selection board will tend to be more conservative in its choices. So in that light, consider the possibility that a current service member or a veteran with x number of years of service is presented for selection with an age waiver while the rest of the candidates are young studs fresh out of high school or even a few years of college. In light of the current state of military retention, who makes a better candidate? Put more simply, who do you think offers the best bang for the buck in terms of training and retention?

Latest resources

Back