Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Army to AF FWQ: Is this even a possibility?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slide33

Augusta Member
Here's the story/question in short.

Atteneded UPT out of ROTC and was DQ'd for lack of adaptation due to airsickness (flew <40 hrs into program). Pursued civilian ratings up through CFI. Attended IERW (Helicopter Flight School) for Army National Guard to fly helicopters. Did well, no problems, Graduated as an Army Aviator.

Here's the dumb question. Would I be eligible to apply for a Fixed Wing Qual to an Air Guard/Reserve unit? On one hand, I believe that being DQ'd from UPT is a "lifetime ban" against repeat attempts. On the other, would being a rated military aviator make me eligible for FWQ (If a unit would want to pick me up). I appreciate any input.

Last edited:
Here's the story/question in short.

Atteneded UPT out of ROTC and was DQ'd for lack of adaptation due to airsickness (flew <40 hrs into program). Pursued civilian ratings up through CFI. Attended IERW (Helicopter Flight School) for Army National Guard to fly helicopters. Did well, no problems, Graduated as an Army Aviator.

Here's the dumb question. Would I be eligible to apply for a Fixed Wing Qual to an Air Guard/Reserve unit? On one hand, I believe that being DQ'd from UPT is a "lifetime ban" against repeat attempts. On the other, would being a rated military aviator make me eligible for FWQ (If a unit would want to pick me up). I appreciate any input.

I don't have any current information, but I'm sure that if you self-eliminated then you can't go back.

So to clarify for guys with current information, is it the case that you wanted to stay in UPT and it was the Air Force that removed you from training for airsickness?

Hey, I tried that route back in 95-97. I had all the regs and info at the time that said all I needed to do was got to the qual since I was a mil aviator. Problem is..... units have money for UPT, not quals. Atleast that was what they said. Allotments and all that crap. I did find one unit that was willing as they had done it before. My problem was that I needed to finish my BS at the time.

If you can find a unit that is willing to send you to OCS, 6 weeks and then a qual you are golden. You will have better luck with the lift units then fighters. I would suggest that you go straight to an Air Guard unit recruiter and find all of the regs for interservice transfers, OCS and the qual vs UPT. Being a mil aviator you can save them time and money going to the qual. Thing is they like recruiting from with in.

I hope this makes sense. Been a long day and need sleep. I know it can happen. I have had 4 W-2/3's that are friends of mine make it happen. Its all about not taking no for an answer. Find a unit, any unit that will take you. Transfer to a unit you want more later.

Good Luck

Captain Happy

Thanks for the feedback.

To add some details. I did not Self Eliminate. I was written up for "Lack of adaptability". Also, I'm a junior 0-3, so OCS won't be necessary. Also, I've got the AFOQT and BAT test out of the way (if I can track down that info). Also have my CFI (SE), but plan to get my ME and would like to do CFII on the side. I have about 260 fixed and 260 RW.

Is anyone aware of an age restriction for rated guys in this situation. I turn 30 in March. I know there's a waiver for just about anything (had a guy who was 36 in my IERW class. Great guy. 19 year Huey crew chief).

Amen to not taking "no" for an answer.

Any other insight/experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

the only thing they told me since I was already a rated military aviator was 36 for an interservice transfer. Soooo I am assuming that since you are 1 a rated pilot, and 2 already an officer the only glitch would be the finding a unit. I would recommend one other option...... Get fix wing rated in the Army then apply for a waiver accepting your fixed wing army training. Then just find a unit.

You might want to also check on baseops.net , lots of current UPT instructors hang out there.

May have a chance...

First, I am not an expert on returning to AF flight training (what exactly does your FEB paperwork say?), your best bet is to speak to an ANG/USAFR unit. (Send the following personnel expert an e-mail: Chief Master Sergeant Rietvelt, 106 MSF [[email protected]] he has sent various people to FWQ). I am aware that people have returned to UPT folowing an air sickness disqual but they may have needed some sort of waiver...I have seen ALL KINDS of things waived in my time.

With that said, you are eligible to go to any USAF ANG or USAFR RW unit as is. As for FWQ, like someone mentioned, the classes available to the Guard and Reserve are few but are available to the units. You need to find a unit that is willing to take you... not as easy as it sounds in today's shrinking force. I would have all my paperwork in order and show up at some (key: more than one) units you wished to "pledge" and start the ball rolling.

I attended FWQ for the ANG some time ago but the process is still very similar. The slots are usually highly coveted by the individual units and for a while, the ANG was centrally selecting the candidates.

Good luck,

SB

Slide 33,

We spoke via PM, but since I'm online and here and have read your whole chain I'd like to add some more info for you.

Yes, you have a chance at getting in! I ran the FWQ course for the AF for awhile and age is not an issue if you are/were a rated pilot in the Army.

Unregard the adaptability thing. I saw a bunch of wierd stuff in the program. Bottom line, find a unit that wants you and they will make it happen. You still have to fly upside down w/o puking every time, but there is room to hurl for awhile before you get comfortable.

Don't take no for an answer. There are many loop-holes in the program.

Good luck! You obviously have a great attitude and should be allowed a chance.

tweetybird

Hi!

Last I heard , the MKE C-130 unit was looking for guys.

cliff
YIP

First I need to figure out why anyone would want to leave the Army to go into the Air Force.

Do clean sheets, decent food, air conditioning and qualification for a lucrative civilian job mean that much to you?

Latest resources

Back