Army Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

Does anybody have experience flying with the Army reserve.I am pursuing a Blackhawk unit and was wondering how you like it.How many days you have to fly a month,tdy's, and deployments.Thanks

psysicx said:
Does anybody have experience flying with the Army reserve.I am pursuing a Blackhawk unit and was wondering how you like it.How many days you have to fly a month,tdy's, and deployments.Thanks

If you do it, do it as a warrant officer and not as a commissioned officer. O's tend to get their 96 hours a year whether they need it or not, and spend most of their time doing staff duties. That's 96 hours a year.
We are in the process of hiring a junior army captain with about 4 years on flight status who has a little over 500 hours total time, with 200 of that flown during a year-long contingency deployment.
Your mileage may vary, but talk to the guys in your prospective unit before you commit. Army reserve guys are spending a lot of time overseas right now, 12 to 14 months at a pop.
I am by no means slamming the army guard - they are great guys with an important job to do, but if your primary goal is flying a lot, this is probably not what you are looking for. Talk to the guys on APTAP.org - there will be some guys there that can provide a lot more detailed info on this than I can. Good luck!

I just took a plane load of Army Aviation Reservists to the Middle East. How long you ask, one year! I would not join the Army, the Army National Guard or Army Reserve for all the tea in China (I can say this, I used to be Army). The AF Reserve has Blackhawk units, have you looked into them?

The AF requires a degree.I would like to fly and go to college.Deployments don't bother me.Thanks again.

Look at enlisting as an aircrew member in either a Tanker unit(boom operator) or airlift unit (loadmaster). You fly, although not up front, get a lot of money for college (at least 60%, some states pay all In state tuition (Illinois is one)), and than have the inside track to a pilot slot in that unit when you get your degree (as long as your not a closet case). Also Crew chief at a fighter unit is a good in to one of those units as well.

Talking to Former Army Guard guys coming thru Vance for Fixed wing Qual course, It was really hit or miss on how much they flew. One guy, after being picked up by a Tanker unit, didn't fly for the whole time his interservice paperwork was being processed in retribution.

Its a longer path, but I think the benefits are much greater in the end.

Is it really that bad?Will someone who is in the Army Reseve post.I know that you have to fly an average of 5 days a month.

psysicx said:
Is it really that bad?Will someone who is in the Army Reseve post.I know that you have to fly an average of 5 days a month.
I liked it. I flew in four different Army reserve (read USAR, not ARNG) units and it just depends on the unit. The Assault Bn would let you fly about 1.5 hours once or twice a week x 4 times a moth and about 3.0 on drill weekends. That's about it. You don't build much time in Army aviation. The Army just doesn't fund flying hours as much as they should. You're an aerial weapons platform transporter, not an aircraft. But I worked with some of the finest people I ever met and had more responsibility than I wished I had. You will most certainly deploy, anywhere from 6-12 months, possibly the same year you join the unit fresh out of flight school. TDY will be mainly short term and voluntary, like for schools.

Right now everybody is deploying be it Army,Air Force or Navy.Helos are what I would like.Thanks

Psysicx,

I know how you feel about helicopters. I love them dearly! Once upon a time, I was 23, held a CFII/MEI (Fixed Wing only) with a BS from a small Florida based institution and made the mistake of taking a helicopter ride. WOW!!! That sure was cool! I had more fun flying around a pasture chasing cows, flying within a few feet of the ground and "attempting to hover" than I ever did in the previous four years of fixed wing boredom. (including aerobatics up to and including competitions)

I had to 'get me some more of that'. I had to find a dupe that would pay me to fly helicopters. The only problem was that I didn't have the coin to pay for the lessons, and that career field is hard to break into.

Enter the US Army and WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training). Fastforward to seven and a half years later...
I had 2100 hours, 1600 of that was R/H, I was a vet and I was looking for a job. Of that 7.5 years in the Army, I was OCONUS, or in a tent, or out in a field in rural USA, or stuck somewhere TDY that you've never heard of for about 60-70 % of that.

I know that it all may sound great and exciting now. But 5 years into it, when you are laying on a cot in a tent at 2 pm in lower Louisiana in the middle of the summer and brushing the fly's away in 90+ deg. heat while 'resting' (desperately trying to sleep) for a midnight launch to got out and fly NOE with a poor FLIR picture, you will lay there and ask yourself what you are doing and why you aren’t in the AF. They live in motels or BOQs far more that you ever will in the Army. In my experience, I only saw a few AF folks dealing with the nasty part of life and that was for a few days at a time.

Take a look out there and see for yourself how marketable helicopter time is. I went to an FBO recently to get a CFI (FW) job flying 152's for mostly primary instruction. My resume has 2100TT ~600 FW and I was very current in fixed wing. I had been an IP in the Apache and also taught in FW before entering the Army. The chief instructor pilot made a point of repeatedly telling me that in his eyes I only had 600 hours. Funny, I thought that my AH-64 IP time was not totally, but somewhat, important and an identifier that I was semi-intelligent and could teach, but not according to this genius. You will see a great deal of.... well for lack of a better word, Ignorance about all things related to helicopter flying. If it hasn't been shown on discovery wings, it doesn't exist to the vast majority of folks. Others will look at you as a substandard pilot because they just don't know what it R/H flying entails. They do not know of the very complex night vision, navigation, and weapons systems that you will have to deal with. This huge amount of ignorance leads to the ‘nose in the air’ with regard to your qualifications and a lack of respect for your experience. A dual rated pilot told me before I started my 'path less traveled’; "It's a fixed wing world out there!" (here’s a question…. Why do you think the path is less traveled?)

He was right. I met the absolute best people I could have imagined. I made life long friends , but looking back I WOULD in fact do things differently. If you have to go military, Try another service and shoot for fixed wing flying. Do a real no cr*p earnings analysis of a FW pilot in the AF/Navy vs a CWO in the Army… Add bonuses, base pay,BAH,BAS, and then compare the quality of life for each. After that, do an honest look at the jobs for helicopter pilots. Consider locations, top pay, schedules, movement, and benefits. Also, one thing to think about, as a AF/Navy pilot you will be an RLO and have ‘management’ experience, as a CWO in the Army you will not have the opportunity as much. If you loose your ability to fly (medical) you need fall back skills.

If you are honest about it, the fixed wing world will always win out. I will always consider the Apache as my first love of aviation and the best A/C I will ever fly. But it won’t give me anywhere near the life style that I want. I think an honest assessment of the industry will bear out the same for you also.

I think you should push yourself and try the ANG/USAFRes. But, if I haven’t dissuaded you, I hope you enjoy the ride you are about to take. Rest assured that you will live/fight/fly with a great and extremely down to earth group of people. You will consider them family and never forget the great times. Folks in the Army are usually pretty laid back and fun.

I am going back in not because I can’t find work out here, but because the people there are a class above the rest and worth being around. Hanging with your buddies becomes even better than rolling in and letting go with rockets and 30.

Good luck in your future and feel free to PM for other Army questions.
Pardon my ramblings...

Good Luck
Hobbit

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back