Aries & Tomcat formation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VVJM265

In May 1997, I was the EWAC on the VQ-1 EP-3E crew that participated in Cobra Gold ’97. On our first flight of the exercise, we had a section of Tomcats join up on us after they were finished with their mission over the beach. They flew with us for about 10 minutes before heading back to the boat.

At one point -2 slid to the outside of the turn and I saw the RIO in -1 taking some photos. They would have been rather cool because an EP-3E and an F-14 in close formation would have been a very rare situation.

I’ve always regretting not tracking those crews down when we got back to Kadena to ask for copies of the photos, but I thought that on FI I might be able to. The squadron might have been VF-2 on board the Connie, but more than likely would have been VF-154 on board the Indy. Date was 17 May 97. If either of the pilots or RIOs in the crews from those F-14s happens to be on here, please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the show; my crew and our guests really enjoyed seeing these magnificent machines up close and personal.

R,
VVJM265
:beer:

No, didn't know about that board until your post. That for the gouge, I'll register there after morning caffine infusion.

R,

Latest resources

Back