Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wtrav8r

Hello All:

We are a 2 Pilot, 1 Maint. Tech. Part 91 Flight Department.

I am researching a Safety Officer Program for our Deparment and would like some feedback. We are not IS-BAO Compliant, however, it is our goal to be approved in the future.

Aviation Research Group (http://www.aviationresearch.com/asos.asp) has a formal Safety Officer Program ($6000) that appears to be quite structured from the Marketing materials.

Is any on familar with this program??? Can you please provide feed back??

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for any other formal/structured Safety Programs??

Thanks in advance for everyones input!!

We're in the very beginning stages of the IS-BAO process. We are also a 1 plane 2 pilot operation. I have found this link to be helpful....http://www.baldwinaviation.com/ PM me if you have any questions. We are doing most of the work ourselves ( I am fortunate enough to have hired a pilot with IS-BAO and Safety experience)

Don't give ARGUS any of your money. They are already raping the industy as it is and hosing pilots and companies with their phony "ratings" while NOT improving safety one bit. My $.02.

AZT

Under ARGUS, a pilot with 5000 PIC in a piper cub and 1000 multi-engine jet is more qualified than a 3500 SIC / 800 PIC pilot with 2/3s flight time in multi-engine jets. It's QUALITY of flight time that matters in my opinion, not just QUANTITY - how mnay high time guys have nearly killed you?

I've seen fine pilots not qualify for ARGUS whose airplane I'd put my family on in bad weather. Then I've seen ARGUS pilots whose airplane I'd never get on myself. Of course, you will always have both kinds...but ARGUS gives the impression that a pilot who meets their qualifications won't kill your family, which is totally inaccurate.

When a company is audited by ARGUS - it's majoity political that gets you your platinum rating. Paperwork is important, but leadership should be factored into the equation as well. If you upset the auditors...you lose your chance at a platinum rating.

ARGUS has it's place I think - the philosophy is good. But in reality, it doesn't hold water. And no, I don't know what the solution is other than for charter passengers to do thier own due diligence before stepping onto an aircraft with their family - that's common sense.

AZT

I looked at the program they offer. It's a good way to get a program jump started. I wouldn't use them forever but they have some good info. You probably aren't going to USC for their safety course. I just took a 3 day safety management refresher from Mike Alverado. He used to teach at USC. The course was through HAI. It was general safety stuff. It just happened to be at a helicopter convention. The course will be taught on the road this year. Look on the HAI website.

There are some classes at ERAU that may help..

The ARGUS stuff is OK but there audits and support are not worth what you pay and the material is available from other sources.

They are not trying to see of you are safe, they are trying to see if your paperwork says you are and not making much of an effort for that either.

Latest resources

Back