Are you Old School?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CE402

I am probably in a minority here, but I like tend to like the following things about aviation:

1. Old Piston Airliners (DC series, Connie)
2. Old Turboprop Airliners (Viscount, Britannia, Electra)
3. Planes with flight engineers
4. NDBs
5. Planes that make a lot of noise
6. Planes that make a lot of smoke
7. Round analog dials

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but I'm only 40ish and I've been like this since I started flying as a teenager....haven't changed a bit. I see these new pictures in magazines of cockpits that look like the TV wall at Best Buy and I don't get excited, I just get kind of sad about it. Is there anyone else out there with this disease?

The shiny Cessna Citation X that pulls up on the ramp is pretty cool but when the DC3 pulls up and spews an oily mixture out of it's engines Now that's cool.

I guess I'm partial to old school too.
I will however take a Garmin G1000 over filling in the cross country form to plan a trip.

CE402 said:
I am probably in a minority here, but I like tend to like the following things about aviation:

1. Old Piston Airliners (DC series, Connie)
2. Old Turboprop Airliners (Viscount, Britannia, Electra)
3. Planes with flight engineers
4. NDBs
5. Planes that make a lot of noise
6. Planes that make a lot of smoke
7. Round analog dials

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but I'm only 40ish and I've been like this since I started flying as a teenager....haven't changed a bit. I see these new pictures in magazines of cockpits that look like the TV wall at Best Buy and I don't get excited, I just get kind of sad about it. Is there anyone else out there with this disease?

I'm not even 30 but if it were for my chronological state-of-mind (i can say that since i'm drinkin now) you'd say I'm 60. I love watchin smokey tri-jets take off, and smoke pour out of the radials on their first startup in the morning.
I never lived the 50/60/70s era but even the 80s weren't that bad. I remember living near DCA I'd get to see:
- Fokker 27s (Pilgrem airlines)
- Nord 262s...with the old Turbomecas!!! (anyone even know what that is???)
- Convair 580s in pax service (piedmont)
- Dash 7s
- F-28 (loud!)
- G-II.......without hushkits!!!!!!!!
- 727s galore
- etc etc

Different times, sometimes wish i could rewind back a lil.

i like the classics for the warm feeling you get when your sitting up front and see nothing but round gauges, no crazy screens. Now days any monkey can push buttons and fly these damn airplanes, years past you needed real skill to lock onto the glide path and localizer.

navigator72 said:
The shiny Cessna Citation X that pulls up on the ramp is pretty cool but when the DC3 pulls up and spews an oily mixture out of it's engines Now that's cool.

I guess I'm partial to old school too.
I will however take a Garmin G1000 over filling in the cross country form to plan a trip.

Doesn't matter what's on the ramp, when a Staggerwing Beech taxis by.....EVERYONE stops to watch it.

Even the C-X drivers.

Can you put a G1000 in a Staggerwing? Because I'm with you...technology is a cool thing.

We took off from an airport in the Convair with my Dad watching on the ground, and when we got back to our home airport I had a message on the phone from him saying, "There sure was a lot of smoke coming out of the tailpipes, I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong!" I had to explain that no smoke would mean no oil..gotta love it! Some of the older captains at my airline have the saying, "Check the fuel, fill the oil!" in reference to the DC-3's they used to have.

yes, I would consider myself "old school" wow the sight of a vintage plane, you gotta love it! Is the 747 now considered vintage? Dc-3 never flew in one. Are they still flying? Osh Kosh has a great display of older aircraft, a great family treat and learning experience, it's better than the library!

Just out of curiousity can someone tell what is the latest plane and most newest plane ready to come out? I'd love to know!

MissKittyKat said:
Dc-3 never flew in one. Are they still flying?

It's been a few years since I have seen it in the air, but there is a DC-3 that graces the ramp at PRC that I've seen making a couple trips. Back in 2000, the owner and a number of lucky tag-alongs flew it out to OSH for AirVenture, AOPA did a nice write-up on it. Check out N53ST on airliners.net, there are some nice pics of it on there. So they're few and far between, but can still be found, airworthy to some extent.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back