• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you fed up too?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't work for SWA, maybe one day I will. But I will say one thing or two. As a single father, I know my 2 kids are in good hands with the SWA people when I have to send them unaccompanied on a flight. I don't even trust the carrier I work for with my kids. Our pilots and F/A's are fine but when they get into the terminal it's another story. As far as cost, I missed weddings, funerals and many birthdays as an enlisted Marine and Soldier because I could not afford to fly home. I salute all of you. Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Passengers assume any male voice without a lisp is a pilot. I can't count how many times I've been complemented on the jokes I've told on the PA, only I don't tell jokes on the PA. As my wife reminds me all the time, I'm not that funny.

Knowing you, I can attest to that... You're not that funny.... :D :p

I have never sat in a middle seat on a legacy carrier.

I have never seen a dirty worn out airplane on a legacy carrier.

I always get a nice clean blanket and pillow on legacy carriers.

I never have had to fight a crowd while boarding a legacy carrier.

I always get a meal on a legacy carrier.

I have never dealt with a rude passenger on a legacy carrier.

I also own a bridge in New York I am willing to sell you.

The problem lies in the fact that where one guy/girl may be sort of funny alot of the SWA crew feel they need to try to be funny and not all are. Many times it can be uncomfortable and obnoxious for the passengers with the flight attendant flashing them a big sheepish grin as they go through their comedy routine....can be very uncomfortable for some. Oh sure there are always the few passengers who rarely fly that give a chuckle never having seen this comedy act but most of the time based upon my experience the laughs are courtesy laughs with the pax just waiting for the ridiculous banter to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ta9ltJGxjk&mode=related&search=

PS- Not sure the FAA would agree with the "if the flight is too long there are emergency exits" thing, especially considering some of the clientelle on these flights.

Last edited:
I have never sat in a middle seat on a legacy carrier.

I have never seen a dirty worn out airplane on a legacy carrier.

I always get a nice clean blanket and pillow on legacy carriers.

I never have had to fight a crowd while boarding a legacy carrier.

I always get a meal on a legacy carrier.

I have never dealt with a rude passenger on a legacy carrier.

I also own a bridge in New York I am willing to sell you.

Sweet.

If this stupid reporter would open her eyes she would realize things are pretty much the same all over. Dreadlock-sporting teens and people in flip-flops ride on ALL AIRLINES. It's not that SWA is the "Walmart of the sky", it's the fact that Americans in general have adopted and embraced the "Walmart" attitude.

Sweet.

If this stupid reporter would open her eyes she would realize things are pretty much the same all over. Dreadlock-sporting teens and people in flip-flops ride on ALL AIRLINES. It's not that SWA is the "Walmart of the sky", it's the fact that Americans in general have adopted and embraced the "Walmart" attitude.

Yeah, I think the column was petty.

It reminds me of the old saying "you can please some of the people all of the time, or you can plase all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

Southwest has built a successful business model and it has worked to the tune of 30+ consecutive years of profitablity. A component of that plan is a casual atmosphere, some jokes, and allowing employees to be themselves while on the job. For every columnist who writes an article, or every passenger who complains, there are thousands of satisfied customers. I don't work for SWA and don't know if I ever will at this point, but I certainly hope the atmosphere they create is one aspect of their business plan they never change.

I read this article and tried to look at it from the author's point of view...but she still just came across as petty and whining. I don't know what she was hoping to accomplish with her article. Most of the time when journalists write a scathing editorial, they're backing it with some solid facts about something immoral or unfair, and they're hoping to impact a change.

What this lady wrote about are simply things she doesn't like, which is essentially the personality of SWA. Here's the problem with that: a lot of SWA passengers like the jokes and such. In fact, Colleen has said on more than one occasion that we get many letters from Customers saying, "Your flight attendants don't joke like they used to." And yes, I've heard more than one Customer complain when our flight attendants just gave great service, but no PA jokes.

You can't please everyone. As Herb said, "We are not all things to all people."

This author has clearly flown SWA more than once. And apparently, we've gotten her to her destination safely. And she's not complaining about ontime arrivals. And $300 probably was a fair price when compared to the competition, otherwise she would have been flying the competition. If she doesn't like it, then I'd politely suggest she go to another carrier. In the meantime, writing this petty, whiney editorial is perhaps one of the most unprofessional articles I've ever seen from a journalist - and I would say that if it was written about AA, AirTran, Delta, or any other airline.

The purpose of her article wasn't to impact a change. If it had been, I might have some respect for her input. From the way this reads, she just wanted to b*tch.

Latest resources

Back