Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CrazyErnie

roger dodger
I was wondering if turbo-props are considered high perf (or complex for that matter) if they are rated over 200 SHP? I don't know of anything that disqualifies them just because they're not recip engines, but maybe somebody could enlighten me. For the discussion, consider the aircraft to be over 12,500 lbs.

-Thanks

The regulation (FAR 61.31) simply says "Horsepower" -- not Brake Horsepower (piston) nor Shaft Horsepower (turboprop). So yes, if your turboprop has an engine with more than 200shp, it's high-performance. And assuming it has flaps, retractable gear, and a controllable prop, it's complex as well.

complex airplane: an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller.
Complex has no reference to engine type or power. Caravans and Twin Otters are two examples of non-complex turboprops. BTW, why the stipulation about being over 12,500?

Mostly a question of curiosity. I am familiar with all the above mentioned FARs, but I wasn't sure if there was anything out there disqualifying turbo-props since it would be hard to find one under 200 SHP. Same with the complex airplane definition. The majority of turbo-props are going to be complex airplanes. I wonder how many captains out there have gotten their ATPs, but never been endorsed for a high perf. aircraft. The weight was tossed in there just in case it made a difference that the aircraft was considered a large aircraft.

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought part of the Definition of "Complex" was all that stuff, OR something that is Turbine powered. Have to go find my old FAR/AIM book.

I wonder how many captains out there have gotten their ATPs, but never been endorsed for a high perf. aircraft.

When I got my ATP, I didn't have complex or high performance endorsements, as they weren't required when I started flying complex and high performance aircraft. The definitions and regulations regarding them have changed somewhat over the years, too...what is "complex" or "high performance" today is different than what it was just a few years ago.

I still don't have a "tailwheel" endorsement, even though I stay fairly current in conventional gear airplanes.

Yellowbird said:
Just curious: are there many turboprops of 200 SHP or less?
I'm curious too. The smallest I've seen are 550 SHP on Beechcraft. Perhaps there's a smaller one on a Malibu? At any rate I'm sure it would far exeed 200 SHP.

Latest resources

Back