• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are the days of the "big jets" numbered

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Were it not for ALPA/APA and other pilot unions, there would be airlines that own no jets in this country, they would just code share with Mexico and Eastern Europe for the heavy's flying transocanic, and Comair, Coex, and Eagle et. al. for the domestic routs. Southwest would be the only 737 operator domestic, that is until SWA starts to code share to RJ's on their "less profitable routes". Or should their pilots demand a payraise to make up for a decade.

I know, I'm being silly, but really guys....do you think it's not being tried?

CABOTAGE / CODE SHARE / ALLIANCE etc......same **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing!

V70T5 said:
Were it not for ALPA/APA and other pilot unions, there would be airlines that own no jets in this country.....

Puleeeeeeeeeezzzeee!

C'mon guys, this is getting silly!

The economy is down and Airlines are restructuring. They are parking the big planes (and some small ones too) in the desert. This is nothing new! This has happened before, things will improve, and it will happen again...no doubt about it. Will things be the same? Probally not. ALPA and APA have nothing to do with the fact that Major Airlines have Jets, that is the goofiest thing I've ever heard!!!

JetPilot500

Ok, JetPilot...

... you do have a point. This "virtual airline" industry isn't going to happen overnight. But it is the direction I see the major airlines headed towards. They may never reach that destination completely, but they could get close.

I like that term "Vertual"

You may have coined a term MAK....."Vertual Airline"

Step 1. file BK
Step 2. Void all labor contracts and scope clause
Step 3. Code share everything!!!

there will be 100's of "regional" airlines all competing for the lowers bid on the contract, and their pilots will get paid about what a park ranger makes.

comming to a theater near you....stay tuned.

If you can't believe it can happen, look at what has happened to the US maritime industry since WWII. There are almost no US flagged ship anymore. And we used to be a major maritime power.

Right now a non-US flagged ship can carry passengers and/or cargo from one US port to another. Once foreigh flagged air carriers can do that, you airline guys might as well put in for retirement.

RJ's

I think there has to be limit on how many RJ's an airport can support. Either we keep bigger jets or the major city's will have to build hundreds of new gates to accomodate all of the little ones. Has anyone been in O'Hare lately? ACA has more RJ's than I've seen anywhere and they have nowhere to park. I've heard that they have sat in the penalty box for up to 4 hours waiting for a gate. I know there has been talk of remote parking for them where they will bus the passengers to the airplanes at the cargo terminal or someplace similar.
I think there will always be larger jets.

-Menace

One quick reminder:

Before 9/11, everyone was wondering how we would be able to support the increases of air traffic which were being predicted for the 21st century. The news media was constantly telling us how there "weren't enough runways", "we need bigger aircraft", "we need to revamp our ATC system to handle more air traffic", etc. Load factors were at an all time high with all the "big" airplanes operating. I can even remember hearing a news story where one airport (I can't remember which one) was maxed out on slot times and was considering a measure where no more commuter sized aircraft would be allowed in or out. In fact, they were even thinking about not allowing all the present commuter aircraft in. This was not to slight the commuters, but was seen as a way of maximizing the number of passengers which could be moved in a finite amount of time.

Unfortunately, the events of 9/11 coupled with a slowing economy has made some changes for the present time in the airline industry. While we are now seeing an increase in RJ service over bigger aircraft, I believe that this industry is cyclical in nature, and one day we will be back to where we were before Sept 11. I haven't been around the airlines as long as many of the members of this board have I'm sure, but I imagine they have seen the good times as well as the bad times numerous times throughout their career. We are now in a slump which eventually will pass.

Latest resources

Back