Are regionals really worth it...something to ponder

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm 35, still an FO

I live in a nice home with a view of mountains and a lake. awesome neighborhood. we bought it ourselves, we get no help from other, trust funds, etc.

my wife doesn't work, stays home with 2 kids

we make enough to get by, and we invest and save

we have NO consumer debt

we vacation and enjoy our lives

I'm diggin' it fine. it is a job, but better than any other job that I could do

if it sucks that bad for you, quit

peace,
UP

utahpilot said:
if it sucks that bad for you, quit

I did..........and I have a wonderful job. Something that I never dreamed of, and I'm not in an office....I'm still flying, but at my convenience......with a decent savings account.

Again....I just want us to think...be an advocate for your career....write to congress....FAA.....don't let ALPA do all of your work. It won't get better if you have pilots willing to accept lower and lower pay. When you're not flying spread the word about conditions at your airline. Become more knowledgeable in the corporate/economic system. I have not run across many pilots pounding the pavement on their off days advocating for higher wages. There is some job security in your seniority number, RIGHT.

I did..........and I have a wonderful job.
At 51 hours? You've quit flying commercially and you have 51 hours as a student pilot? Did you even give it a shot? If your profile is correct, you gave up before you ever got going.

My father makes about what a senior narrow body captain makes a year in management (including $30k from air force retirement). Even though he has a decent gig, he is ready to quit because of all the corporate BS. He is tired of his boss's breathing down his neck every chance they get. I'll take the freedom of a cockpit any day...

Also, I never thought I could live on $20-$30k/yr, but as long as you keep your spending in check, it's not half bad. Money isn't everything. I'd much rather be doing what I want and making 1/5 of what I'd make if I went into another career field.

How's that saying go? Pilots work for free, but get paid to put up with the B.S.?

~wheelsup

superjet said:
People definitely do not live within their means any more. They need to take a lesson from their grandparents when it comes to finances. I mean people have to have a big house with a massive mortgage, credit cards, brand new cars and then they say poor me I'm broke. Unfortunately are society has brainwashed us into "get debt and have stuff" what a waste!!!

I fully agree. I have 5500 left to pay on my car then I'm totally debt free. The only thing I'll finance in the years to come is a house if I can get to the point where I could buy one. I learned my lesson, a few years ago I ran up a credit card after I upgraded, then got downgraded, took me almost 3 years pay off and I'll never do that again. Pre 911 I almost took an AOPA loan to but a C-150 at 10.5% interest. That 18000 C-150 would have cost me about 30000 when I finally paid off the loan. That on stupid move I didn't make in my life. I still want an airplane but will rent until the day I can but that 18-20 thousand dollar C-150 in cash.

k2774 said:
don't look at my profile.............come on "wheelsup." i know you're smarter than that.

Since you're done with the airlines, please use your physics degree to come up with some alternative energy source. That way I will still have a job in 10 years. Thanks.

~wheelsup

I agree with you Earl Williams. If i wasnt flying I would be running a lift out in Colorado somewhere. No money in that, but holy hell would i be happy.

k2774 said:
Plumbers, Electricians, AC/Refrigeration, Carpenters, etc. have the opportunity to make loads of money, but you have to be willing to WORK.
Mean annual wages for 2004:
Plumber, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters (includes A/C): $44,110
Plumber, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters 90 Percentile (realistic "top out"): $70,140
Electrician: $44,900
Electrician 90 Percentile (realistic "top out"): $69,940
Carpenter: $37,970
Carpenter 90 Percentile (realistic "top out"): $59,600

k2774 said:
Railroad Engineers/Conductors top out at 90-100K and there is massive hiring at the railroads.
Locomotive Engineers: $54,680
Locomotive Engineers 90 percentile (realistic "top out"): $87,960
Railroad Conductors and Yardmasters: $52,580
Railroad Conductors and Yardmasters 90 percentile (realistic "top out"): $84,780

All data taken from the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Don't you hate it when reality just completely f$$ks your argument?

it's amazing how some of you will dig to the bottom of the earth to dispute a claim. use this energy to fight for better wages.

Dig to the bottom of the earth? It took me all of 5 minutes to find those numbers. Nice comeback though, er, um...

Latest resources

Back