Are Clearing Turns A Waste Of Time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What I was told . . .

An "official" recommendation given to me by my FAA examiner for the CFI initial (as well as my 8000+ hour instructor) is to clear 180 degrees of the horizon. That may consist of two 90 degree turns or one 180 degree turn. (three 60 degree turns would fit the recommendation but not very practical)

Some official recommendations that talk about clearing turns:

FAA AC 61-23C
Training Operations--Vigilance should be maintained and clearing turns should be made prior to a practice maneuver. During instruction, the pilot should be asked to verbalize the clearing procedures (call out clear "left, right, above, and below").

FAA AC 90-89A
Recommends that all flight test maneuvers be preceded with two 90 degree clearing turns to ensure that the flight test area is free of other aircraft.

FAA Accident Prevention Program "How To Avoid A Midair Collision"

ICAO Circular 213 - Pilot Skills To Make 'Look-Out' More Effective In Visual Collision Avoidance

homebrew said:
Hey I see nobody addresses this issue to clearing turns in regards to the possible other aircraft in the area. I completely agree that it may help you to see another aircraft, but it also exposes more surface area of your aircraft in a turn to a possible oncoming craft. How many times were you informed of traffic,most likely in the pattern, and only caught visual contact when the aircraft was banking? I have many times. Remember clearing turns are not only for your safety of you seeing other aircraft, it also is for the safety of other aircraft seeing you!!

Slightly off subject, but anytime I hear a controller calling me out as traffic to another pilot, or I hear there is another pilot trying to find my position, especially around an airport, I will try to rock my wings and gently yaw to change my profile and light reflection in hopes that the other pilot will spot me faster. So far my experience is I usually get spotted fairly fast.

As far as clearing turns go, just look in the front of any PTS and under "Unsatisfactory Performance" it states: "Failure to use proper and effective visual scanning techniques to clear the area before and while performing maneuvers." Personally, I always made sure my students performed them. Often, I preferred to fly a sort of holding pattern by doing a 180, perform a maneuver, and then a 180 and another maneuver. It help to maintain a smaller area of airspace when restricted and allowed the student to use the same reference point for that day.

An Examiner will bust you on your ride for not clearing the area.....check the PTS. Besides, it's just plain stupid not to look before you turn. When you come to a stop sign, you look before proceeding, right? Same thing.

You've never done flight training until you've done it in Central Florida. Don't believe me? Wait until you fly a TCAS equipped aircraft into MCO or DAB and have the TCAS set on the BIG range (whatever it may be called in that particular aircraft....ABV/BLW, etc.). You'll be amazed at how many aircraft are out there, and wonder why you never hit one. We've had a Capt. refuse to take an aircraft into DAB because the TCAS was deferred.

Clear left, clear right.

:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back