Are aviation degrees even worth it???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
I'd rather spend 4 years learning about aviation than I would 4 years on basketweaving...
That's what I thought 5 years ago when I was working on my ratings. Now that I've gone as far as I'm able to go in the airline industry and am faced with the decision on what to finish my degree in, basketweaving sounds mighty tempting compared to aviation.

The only problem is that I can get a significant # of credits (less $$ to shell out) towards an aviation degree. If I wanted to simply get a degree to check off the box on an application it would be an easy decision, but I'd like to have the option to chuck this career if it continues it's current path, and some sort of business degree would seem much more useful.

But there's still the matter of all those free credits.......

Last edited:
G.G. Stoctay said:
There are other biological factors which we must consider, too. The really strong, virulent genes, the ancient hunter-gatherer successes, survive through their own abilities and at the expense of weak genes. They have no need for clever manipulation of legislation. In one sense, legislation and law must be seen as the effort of the otherwise weak and fragile genes to overcome the strong, ancient hunter-gatherer genes.

We must also remember that our species hasn't finished evolving. Some gene pools...may be dead ends. Other gene pools (perhaps the most "criminal") are the ideal path for the advancement of the species.

If we make a social survey of the planet, we see that some conducts (and, presumably, therefore also some genes) are generally considered renegade.
I think what Dr. Stoctay is trying to surmise, is that certain weaker gene pools become dead ends, because they lack certain innate survival skills as hunter-gatherers. Eventually, these weaker members of the gene pool are unable to make viable survival decisions and tend to follow the other lemming-like members of the pool over the precipice.

Just my opinion

I'm going to St. Cloud State this "spring" (January) and majoring in elementary education with a minor in aviation.

I'm still going to an "aviation college" but I will have something to fall back on incase I get injured or the aviation industry completely collapses. A degree in aviation isn't going to help me get any job outside of flying an airplane, while my degree in education could enable me to get a job as a teacher or working in child care.

gkrangers said:
I just know I wouldn't make it through 4 years of school going for a straight generic business or computers degree..
I agree. I wouldn't want to waste four years studying something that I have absolutely no interest in doing.

Last edited:
Aviation degrees

I like an aviation degree. Ground school is taught formally as part of the degree, so, preparing for class, attending class, interacting with your instructor, and taking tests make for a better learning experience. Much better, in my $0.02 opinion, than memorizing the ASA books to pass your writtens. I have done both; memorize books and go to class. I learned far more by going to class and enjoyed the learning experience far more than just sitting for hours memorizing multiple-choice answers.

You learn other things besides ground school when taking an aviation degree program. You learn flight physiology. Systems (I realize that you have an auto tech background and might feel you don't need formal instruction in aircraft systems; rest assured there are differences). Meteorology. Aerodynamics. Business. General education. Math. Science. You probably will be required to take freshman college English and technical writing. Perhaps speech. Pilots need a good language arts background because they are called upon from time to time to (1) explain clearly in writing why a particular gizmo didn't work on the last flight. It's not enough to say "gizmo inop": (2) write business letters and letters of application for jobs; (3) speak articulately and professionally, especially when interviewing for jobs. Speaking like Beavis and Butt-Head just does not cut it with interviewers. Everything you learn in an aviation degree program will be used at some point or another in your aviation career.

Maybe last but not least, and not often mentioned, is that aviation degree programs frequently include internships at airlines and aviation companies. Sometimes, these internships lead to jobs.

An aviation degree is criticized because it might not offer marketable skills in other industries. Perhaps. But just having a four-year college degree can open many doors that would otherwise slam shut in your face. Besides, even if you have a degree in a field other than aviation, you will still need experience that field to get work. A degree Poli Sci, English, Social Studies, etc. without a teaching credential might land you work as a substitute teacher.

For all these reasons, and because hindsight is always 20/20, if I had it to do again, I would have earned a second B.S. in aviation from a school such as ERAU and finished my ratings there as well. And, for the record, my degree is a B.S.B.A. in Accounting. The only skills I used from it during my first twenty years of work after college were to do my own tax returns and balance my logbook. The first time I used my accounting skills for work was twenty years later as a paralegal, preparing estate accountings, tax returns, and settlement distributions - and this work was peripheral to the legal practice.

I'm glad that you've seen the light about getting the degree. Good luck with the course of study you choose.

Last edited:
A Passenger said:
I'm going to St. Cloud State this "spring" (January) and majoring in elementary education with a minor in aviation.

I'm still going to an "aviation college" but I will have something to fall back on incase I get injured or the aviation industry completely collapses. A degree in aviation isn't going to help me get any job outside of flying an airplane, while my degree in education could enable me to get a job as a teacher or working in child care.

I agree. I wouldn't want to waste four years studying something that I have absolutely no interest in doing.
We just lost two pilots permanently due to rotator cuff surgery...you never know what's in store when it comes to the fickle finger of fate.

FN FAL said:
We just lost two pilots permanently due to rotator cuff surgery...you never know what's in store when it comes to the fickle finger of fate.
Having come back from a variation on the rotator cuff surgery, a complete shoulder overhaul, yeah, it takes a long time sitting on the sidelines before recovery. It sucks to know there are many cool jobs that are unavailable, including many corporate pilot slots, because I'm not going to risk re-injury by hauling luggage. They can carry their own golf clubs! Same thing with the 25 pound tray of McBurger or 40 pound sack of Sub bread. The fast food/retail job is not a possibility.

I've taken steps to ensure survival including a loss of the medical. An aviation degree was part of that. An MBA (Aviation again!) is also part of that plan. recently it came to my attention that I haven't planned for loss of the instructor certificates, so now I'm planning for that possibility. If aviation goes away, no problem (but I'll be writing lotsa letters to elected officials), my skills and knowledge will easily transfer to boats. I will not instruct on GPS in cars.

The subject area of the degree matters little. Employers want to see the box marked "degree" checked. If you start your own business, then you can make sure those you hire have the box marked "degree" checked. HR reps like degrees. Funny how the CEOs and company founders may not have a degree.

If you want to be secure in income, it's not going to come from being a sheep at your job, any job, with or without a degree. Security will only come from your knowledge and skill in handling, saving, and investing money.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

avbug said:
Consider it from this vantage point. If you're already well established in the industry, and desire a degree to be competitive, chances are that a number of respected institutions will grant significant credit for FAA certificates and ratings. This means a substantial reduction in the time required to obtain a legitimate degree.
I thought about this, and it's definitely an option. Embry-Riddle has a couple of "distance learning" degree programs that require no actual campus attendance. I figured that even finishing my private would be worth some credits. Now, the only reason I go the distance learning route is because I must work full-time, and being able to "go to school" on my own time is essential. The best part is, you can earn a legitimate degree that's every bit as credible as those obtained traditionally. I may be a little reluctant to go for an aviation degree, but like you said, having prior aviation experience makes the aviation degree cheaper and easier to obtain. We'll have to see. I suppose I can always fall back on my automotive background, but that is REALLY falling back if you know what I mean.

chperplt said:
When you make your decision, think about the "what ifs" in life. By that I mean, what if you don't get a flying job, what will that degree do for you? What if you poke your eye out, what will that degree do for you.

I have a BS in Aero Sci from ERAU that other than looking somewhat nice on my wall, will do nothing for me outside of aviation.
I guess this is the other end of the argument, and my original contention. The aviation degree may serve you well in aviation, but outside of that, perhaps it really just doesn't give you much lift. Sure employers may recognize the degree as general evidence of basic intelligence, but without the specific qualifications to uphold that job (the appropriate degree), chances are you wont be that marketable. So I guess if time and money wasn't an issue, the appropriate course of action would be seeking a degree in another area. But as others have pointed out, it's mighty tempting to go the aviation route if you've already acquired any type of certificate/ratings. I shall continue to think this over...

Are aviation degrees even worth it???
Absolutely postively no... You are one illness/medical bust away from getting booted from the ranks of "professional pilot". No airline, charter company, freight outfit cares about what you get the degree in, and no a "professional pilot" degree will not make you any more competitive versus the other guy with the business degree, any notion of such is outright foolish and not true.

Get a degree in anything other than aviation so you have a backup plan and a degree that you can actually fall back on if need be. The aviation degree is useless if you are on the streets and looking for employment, diversify your credentials and have that important plan B in tact just in case the unexpected happens and you bust a medical.

No airline will prefer the applicant to have a "aviation degree", just doesn't happen and in reality they could care less. Do yourself a BIG favor and spend your money wisely and get the degree in business or another field that actually can benefit you should the need arise.

It always cracks me up to talk to those from Riddle that dropped $120K for a degree because they "assumed" it would make them ultra competitive and that degree would be the answer, ya gotta love marketing departments.:D

3 5 0

bobbysamd said:
An aviation degree is criticized because it might not offer marketable skills in other industries. Perhaps. But just having a four-year college degree can open many doors that would otherwise slam shut in your face. Besides, even if you have a degree in a field other than aviation, you will still need experience that field to get work.
I think that's an excellent point of view. I'll be further considering the aviation route, for reasons you and others have pointed out. And I think completing the private should get me well-established into my course of study. And if the whole aviation dream doesn't fly, then I'll just move on. As someone pointed out, I guess real security comes from knowing how to manage your available resources, not just holding a job. I guess ultimately, nobodies security is even guaranteed, regardless of what degree they have.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back