Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are airlines offering to pay off school loans?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There just aren't enough people in the pipline for the number of jobs that will be open.

I have just one small correction to this statement:

There just aren't enough people in the pipline for the number of extremely poorly paying, exceptionally low quality of life, rarely see you family (and when you do, you need to hit them up for a loan) jobs that will be open.

If the airlines decided to raise pilot pay, increase time off per month, and improve overall work rules, there would be no shortage whatsoever of qualified applicants.

Im not so sure that nobody is doing that right now. Check with UND. I had heard Mesaba was reimbursing some or all of your flight costs with a four year comitment. Not a bad deal at all if it is true.

I have just one small correction to this statement:

There just aren't enough people in the pipline for the number of extremely poorly paying, exceptionally low quality of life, rarely see you family (and when you do, you need to hit them up for a loan) jobs that will be open.

If the airlines decided to raise pilot pay, increase time off per month, and improve overall work rules, there would be no shortage whatsoever of qualified applicants.

I'm sorry, but after your first year you are making in the mid- 30's. After the second year at ASA, you have upgraded, and are making in the 60's. That is not extremely low pay. It is above the average income for the majority of states in the US. Where else can you work 3 or 4 days a week, and make $60,000 per year within a few years after getting hired? That first year is hard, but even that will change as the shortage deepens.

I'm tired of people complaining about this job. Do some research, and realize that we have it pretty good.

There IS a shortage though. What do you think all of those qualified pilots are doing? Corporate? There just aren't that many corporate pilots out there waiting for the regionals to increase their pay. The majors aren't experiencing a shortage yet because there are many qualified pilots coming from the regionals. Eventually, there won't be enough coming from there though, and even the majors and corporate will feel the crunch.

Between now and 2015, there's supposed to be a huge increase in the need for pilots (I don't remember the numbers), more than the flight schools are putting out. That, my friend, is a shortage, no matter how you spin it. We are just seeing the beginning of the shortage, and it isn't terrible yet, but it will be. It is a worldwide problem, given that the Asia market is just now getting its act together. Once the aviation market there gets spun up, we will really be having a major problem in the US staffing airlines and corporate jobs in all markets.

I'm sorry, but after your first year you are making in the mid- 30's. After the second year at ASA, you have upgraded, and are making in the 60's. That is not extremely low pay. It is above the average income for the majority of states in the US. Where else can you work 3 or 4 days a week, and make $60,000 per year within a few years after getting hired? That first year is hard, but even that will change as the shortage deepens.

I'm tired of people complaining about this job. Do some research, and realize that we have it pretty good.

There IS a shortage though. What do you think all of those qualified pilots are doing? Corporate? There just aren't that many corporate pilots out there waiting for the regionals to increase their pay. The majors aren't experiencing a shortage yet because there are many qualified pilots coming from the regionals. Eventually, there won't be enough coming from there though, and even the majors and corporate will feel the crunch.

Between now and 2015, there's supposed to be a huge increase in the need for pilots (I don't remember the numbers), more than the flight schools are putting out. That, my friend, is a shortage, no matter how you spin it. We are just seeing the beginning of the shortage, and it isn't terrible yet, but it will be. It is a worldwide problem, given that the Asia market is just now getting its act together. Once the aviation market there gets spun up, we will really be having a major problem in the US staffing airlines and corporate jobs in all markets.

Uhhhhh can I PLLEEAAASEEE have some of that schite because it must be daaaaaaaaaaaaaammmn good. It's that new kooliad flavored hash right??

By the way, don't you folks over at ASA still allow the company to sked you for ONE day off inbetween trips?? Thats with the new contract too right?

Nah, this job is in the toilet from where it was at one point, and there's no going back with the lack of balls out there among us.

Uhhhhh can I PLLEEAAASEEE have some of that schite because it must be daaaaaaaaaaaaaammmn good. It's that new kooliad flavored hash right??

By the way, don't you folks over at ASA still allow the company to sked you for ONE day off inbetween trips?? Thats with the new contract too right?

Nah, this job is in the toilet from where it was at one point, and there's no going back with the lack of balls out there among us.

I'm not going to argue that it isn't as good as it used to be, but that goes for many careers, including medicine. But the fact remains that it is still a pretty good job. Have you actually ever worked in another field? I think most people just like to complain, and don't really have a good frame of reference to do so.

What do you think all of those qualified pilots are doing?

I'm flying single pilot cargo because every person I've ever known who went to a regional wound up complaining about it in 6 months at the outside. This board, I must confess, does not disabuse me of the notion that it sucks.

This board, I must confess, does not disabuse me of the notion that it sucks.

Yep...I'd definitely say that the FI board accurately represents the majority of regional pilots...

All I can say is being a pilot at a regional is better than working 9-5. More flexibility, more time off, etc.

There are certainly better flying jobs out there, but where else can you start with very low time flying a jet, gain valuable 121 experience, then move on to better things? Most good corporate jobs require 2500 TT and like 500 multi. Some even want jet time.

If it were to ever happen, which I doubt, the money should go instead to the pilots already on property.

Goat

I just got the memo from my company - they said to submit the remainder of your college nut and they will cover it. It also said that if you have had penis enhancement surgery in the past 4 years they will cover that too.

Will they also cover if I choose to get a reduction? Sometimes it is just too heavy a burden to carry all that by myself.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back