• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APU Usage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is starting to sound like working for the regional again.

Good....maybe some will go back.

There shoulkd be nothing wrong with trying to save money. In the end, we will all benefit.

Easy solution if the wx supports it: plug in a GPU then shut down the APU. Airplane stays powered and ready to go, albeit with no climate control. Done this once or twice on the 45 when the pax were running way behind. Bottom line in this business is making sure Mr(s) moneybags is taken care of. If that means running the APU for 4 hours because they're 3 hours late and don't call then so be it. Like others have said don't use it to watch movies and catch some z's in the back on standby, and if you don't need it to close up on the last leg of the day don't use it. The last thing we need is the APU police telling us when we can and can't use it, that's what common sense is for.

Serious question

Is there a way to hook up a GPU to these aircraft? That way the equipment is up and running and no need to burn money.

The only airplane I ever flew that had an APU was the CRJ. It had external hookups for power.

Each a/c have their specific needds for using the APU like the X's and the Hawker 800, not sure about the Falcons or G-200's

The XL/XLS are perfectly fine for not using the APU when a GPU/EPU is avaialble. Considering we have over 100 of these types, that can amount to a sizable savings right there.

All possibilties will be explored, I can assure you that.

The only airplane I ever flew that had an APU was the CRJ. It had external hookups for power.

Ironically the Challenger 600 series can't take power at most FBOs because it needs AC power. GPUs at FBO almost always only supply DC power.

You ever try and find a GPU at an FBO? Most of the lear guys are hogging them.

We need DC and AC to run, we can invert but its a multi step process.

For planes like the soverign and the XL battery starts are fine. For planes with bleed air starters running the apu is a must.

I found when I was in the X if you were able to get all the electrons to play nice then shutting it down caused more problems and might not guarantee a good start of the avionics or subsystems. It was always hope and pray.

[quote=Diesel;1539900]You ever try and find a GPU at an FBO? Most of the lear guys are hogging them.

Hey there D, don't poop on the needs of my Lear

And this coming from a guy who "hogged" my bagels.

Keep the faith, brotha.

Hung

Latest resources

Back