Approach Briefing Techniques

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

Just interested in the different techniques different operations / 121 / 135 / corporate / & single pilot IFR perform their IFR approach brief. I have heard many different ways to do the brief. I'd like to know what you do... such as when you perform the brief and what technique you use. Muchos gracias in advance

Get the ATis, pull out the cart....look at it, tune in the freq...figure out the inbound hdg' and shoot the approach.....i don't pay attention to the missed approach segment because missed approaches are for pu$$ie$. Sorry, im gona put that on a tshirt someday.

If it's a visual -- Hit the highlights..."doing the visual 17 backed up with the ILS, MSA is ----feet, visual pattern is this alt. and if we go around it will be left/right traffic etc.

For IMC, basically read the approach plate paying special attention to DH/MDA missed approach point, step down fixes and so on.

After Atis, brief the entire approach plate, including missed approach procedures, hold entry, any a/s restrictions, terrain in the area, and runway length, taxi-in route, and anything special about the airport. Takes 1 minute and we usually brief before descent.

Atis
Marker Beacons
Identify Localizer/VOR/NDB
Course
Expected or Vectored
Altitudes
Time
Missed Approach

AMICEATM

Bernoulli,

Check out Advisory Circular AC120-74A, Appendix 5. This appendix covers the "arrival briefing". This AC provides the current sand future FAA guidance of what they expect 121 carriers to do. If you see any carriers flight ops manuals that have recently gone through a major revision, they most likely used this format.

CR

I did some side work at a foreign flight training academy and they used a great system for their Seneca V. A short version of their briefing was like this.

WEATHER: Read out current weather that was previously obtained and determine if it meets criteria to attempt approach.
NOTAMS : Destination or alternate
FUEL : Verify enough fuel to fly approach, divert to alternate and company reserve available.
DECISION : To land at desired airport and intended approach.
CHARTS : In place for approach to be executed, Example( Charts present ILS 26R approach KPHX.)
LANDING DATA CARD PREPARED : Speeds and minimum altitudes
ROUTINGS AND ALTITUDES : Briefly describe TOD, feeder routes with minimum altitudes,speed limit point or altitude. Holding and minimum or maximum holding altitude. Approach title. stepdown altitudes and rates. OM/FAF altitude. Altimeter top. Minimums.Runway lenght and missed approach.
RADIOS AIDS : set and checked

This briefing is prepared prior to conducting it by obtaining ATIS etc. The briefing is to be completed in less than one minute.
They also utilized the next step method of flying all procedures such as Procedure turn inbound 2 engine ILS minimum altitude 3000 feet ,next step localizer alive inbound course 258 degrees descend to 2200 feet etc.
I started working there with a couple thousand hours teaching and an ATP and was very impressed with the way this works. I still use it r today in my everyday flying, It works great.
Hope this helps .

One additional thing I make sure my guys do is that when they set up a nav there should be three things done. I made a little ryhmn with it because I tired of people tuning a nav and moving on.

Tune it.
Twist it.
Ident it.

If they haven't done three things to that nav, they don't move on. Attention to detail is a b1tch.

Latest resources

Back