Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

casper1nine

liberal radical party ldr
anybody have any specific thoughts on the best person to address a resume and cover letter to in SMALL flight departments. should it be sent to the chief pilot, even if he is the only pilot, human resources, the ceo (in a ~50 employee or less company), "flight department director".......? my guess is to the CP, but knowing that some of the companies on my list have only a single airplane and very few pilots, i wonder if my resume would just end up in the round file (not that it would stop me from applying, i just want it to get into the right hands).

a second though is that i should go to the corporate offices and ask for a generic job application and return it with an aviation resume and cover letter.

i have rounded up several hundred reasonable prospects and just want to approach them in an efficient and effective manner.

-casper1nine

Typically, the Chief Pilot handles hiring of all pilots... I work at a Fortune 100 Corporation and the Chief Pilot does all the hiring of new pilots, they only interface with HR after they have selected their candidate...

several hundred?-- perhaps it would be better to target 20-30 and call them and ask for contact info. then go from there. shotgun blast is a waste of paper and postage and yes your resume will end up in the trash. :)

alright, specifically, i have come up with ~250 aircraft (some in multi-plane departments) in my "area" that are active and used either in p91, 135, or both. the charter operators are easy find, but the p91 only airplanes are more tricky. i have addresses from the faa and the corp addresses for most of them though, and based on that and other info, i can come up with ~five that i know i might like to work for, but many of the others are less of a known quantity. through other research i have come up with a short list, (~20+) that might also be good possibilities. the rest of the bunch are unknowns, but what the heck.

i can appreciate that the cp in a fortune 100 company calls the shots on hiring, but my curiosity is geared more towards the smaller flight departments and single ship operations. i have a feeling that those will be almost purely networking postions.

thoughts?

thanks falcon capt and semperfido:)

-casper1nine

Shotgunning

Shotgunning resumes just does not work that well. What works best is getting dressed up going down to the man's office and asking him for a job. Have a good resume with references that he will probably know from the local airport. Getting a corporate gig usually takes networking for awhile at the airport that you want to work at. If you get in to see someone, be very professional and honestly ask this persons advise about how to futher your career. Chances are they will not have an opening at that time but may know someone that does. This is also your best opportunity to start networking.

Just my .02

Peanut gallery said:
Shotgunning resumes just does not work that well. What works best is getting dressed up going down to the man's office and asking him for a job. Have a good resume with references that he will probably know from the local airport. Getting a corporate gig usually takes networking for awhile at the airport that you want to work at. If you get in to see someone, be very professional and honestly ask this persons advise about how to futher your career. Chances are they will not have an opening at that time but may know someone that does. This is also your best opportunity to start networking.
Exactly! Any resume' that shows up at the hangar addressed to 'Chief Pilot' or 'Aviation Manager' gets tossed. At least do the research to figger out what my name is. I'll still probably toss the resume unless I get a call first, though. I ALWAYS take the time to talk to someone if they get ahold of me and want to set up an appointment to stop by and have a cup of coffee.
A face to go with the resume' makes a big difference.

"Any resume' that shows up at the hangar addressed to 'Chief Pilot' or 'Aviation Manager' gets tossed."

that is what i thought. on my top ~20 short list, i have names and addresses, and will be visiting in person. the rest of the list can just go on hold while i visit the ones that i have details on and for now i am not going to waste postage on the rest.

thanks for the info,

casper1nine

More hiring questions...

Who's the best person to address a resume to or ask to speak with if the department has both an Aviation Department Manager and a Chief Pilot at the hangar?

What if you REALLY want a job in a specific city and you have no references in that city to give to the CP? How far behind the 8-ball does that put you?

What if you just don't have time to drive 500+ miles to "schmooze", or if you don't drink coffee? :p

Thanks!
Hullie (Unsuccessfully job hunting for 2+ years)

The flight dept. I used to work for had 3 planes and 3 pilots. We had a CP and a guy that was over the transportaion for the company. He was in charge of the trucking and flying. So this guy and the CP made the choice on which pilot to pick. Hope this helps

I guess yer screwed, Hull. ;)
I'd send the resume' to the chief pilot, but I'd make contact first.
I had some guys show up from a long ways away when I was chief pilot for a '135 operation a few years back. When we advertised for applicants, I looked at all the resume's I got that were addressed to myself or the D/O, otherwise, I kept the ones from they guys who called or showed up for coffee (or WITH coffee.)
I'd have to recommend moving to that city, getting a job flipping burgers, selling insurance, or flight instructing, and get to know people.
I got the job I have now because I did a little part-time flight-instructing whilst making my living flying an 1124 10 years ago. Got ahold of my current company's mechanic as an instrument student by luck (as well as a little plotting on my part.) He hired me a couple of years later without my even meeting the chief pilot, when their copilot quit.
Who you know, I'm afraid, is very important in the wonderful world of aviation.
Never p!$$ anyone off anywhere near an airport, 'cuz they may be your boss next month.
That's my biggest piece of advice for anyone wanting to fly corporate.

Latest resources

Back