Application Fees? wtf

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ib14flying

What's up with airlines charging application processing fees now? Is this a way for airlines to try and make a quick buck off someone since they're going broke? I just paid Bay State Psychological Associates $38 to apply to Great Lakes, now Colgan wants it too. Is there any way to pay a one time fee or do I have to shell out the dough for each airline?

Guess I should do more research before I post.. I just read "Colgan update for those who care" and it helped answer my question.

Sorry folks..

shuttle America (also owned by bay state phy. ass) $30.-.
Fed ex $50.-
Paramount jet $45.-
Holland Cananda line
AA made $1million a year of applicants! (on a $100.-fee), wonder how much fedex is getting now.

I will not apply for any company that requires an application fee, I think it's even more scandalous than pft. It's a part of running a business. No other industry has something like that, and I cannot afford it from my unemployment check. It's a thing that suddenly pops up whenever times are bad and applicants plenty. I have less of a problem with paying a fee after you get an interview or job offer, kind a like a headhunters fee.
Oh yeah I forgot all the websites:
climb to 350 12.95/month
AEPS 12.-/month
Airinc 140+ /year and updates for a handful of companies
and a whole bunch of others

Am I the only who has the feeling that you got to be rich just to even start looking for a job that will pay you peanuts???

Last edited:
When times are good and pilots are scarce (i.e. mid to late 90's) you have the option of not applying to a carrier that does not have the fees. Before about 1995 almost all of the carriers had fees, but dropped them to attract more pilots. This is nothing new. Things are slowly going back to the way they were.

IMHO, you should pay the fees now and get a job where you want because the next step is not too far away. PAY FOR TRAINING!!!

Ask anyone who have been through the commuters before '97 and they will tell you. Think $75 is bad, try paying $10,000.
It's only a matter of time before they start charging again.

Later.

PFT......a very scary thought...

QUOTE]I will not apply for any company that requires an application fee, I think it's even more scandalous than pft. It's a part of running a business. No other industry has something like that, and I cannot afford it from my unemployment check. It's a thing that suddenly pops up whenever times are bad and applicants plenty. I have less of a problem with paying a fee after you get an interview or job offer, kind a like a headhunters fee. [/QUOTE]

I think Metrodriver's comments were right on. Couldn't have said it better myself. Why pay an app fee for a $14-16k/yr job? Were does that money go? If it goes toward your background check after you are hired, then you shouldn't be charged an app fee until you are hired. Or, better yet, if it costs so much for an airline to do your background check, then why don't they just take it out of your first paycheck?? OH wait, that can't happen because most airlines don't pay you during training anymore.
:rolleyes:

Redtailer said:

Ask anyone who have been through the commuters before '97 and they will tell you. Think $75 is bad, try paying $10,000.
It's only a matter of time before they start charging again.

Later.

They may and might actually get the money from some more chumps. The difference is this time many/ most of the majors are on the way down and in bankruptcy or heading that way. The big payoff is just not there this time.

bay state psychological

so theres more and more of these regionals using the bay state psychological company.

i have to pay$38 each time i apply. to each place! same test! unless i know what im doing wrong or right on the test i cant rationalize spending that money. money going to the same God D**NED company each time? wait....why not take the test once with them and let the airline get the results FROM them....oh wait. thats too easy for me the applicant!...how about this...

Is there a doctor in the house with the gouge for this bay state phy. test? the 'most correct' answers? i dont know if i agree or disagree with the fact that "artistic patterns greatly interest me". DEPENDS ON THE PATTERN NOW DOSENT IT?!?!?!? christ! i dont care of the captain or first officer next to me agrees or disagrees with the fact that "he personally finds himself more comfortable in groups than alone at home". as long as he knows how to do his EFFIN JOB the right way. i dont care. If he can fly the ILS like nobodys business, then he can prefer to be like anything he d*mned well pleases for all i care.

they say to remain indifferent or neutral when taking the personality test. well, Colgan's test has no middle indifferent answer. if i truely am indifferent then im forced to pick an emotionally dealing response that suddenly became an answer thats wrong either way for my personality type. so how can they have an accurate response? they CANT! and theres more people like that than just me....althought an argument can be made that im a mutant.

Sad

While it is a sad state of affairs, there is more to it than meets the eye. Many of the carriers are getting and handling many more resumes than they are equipped to handle. A good portion o fthese are unsolicited. In short, they have to handle all applications in a certain manner regardless of whether or not they are hiring

Yes there are a few cases where they just want the money, but companies like FEDEX and others charged the fee to discourage applications.

The cost of hjiring someone today with fingerprints, background checks, drug and alcohol testing assures you that this will continue.

You ar eright that other industries do not have these things, but, others withthe exception of law enforcement do not require what aviation does.

cost of doing business

Thanks for thoughtful insight on application fees, with all of your experience in business; you may more fully understand this more than the average pilot. Recruiting costs are a burden to all companies, both in man-hours to administer and actual cost of interviewing non-qualified individuals, and our company is no different. We are in a tuff business climate right now and have to everything we can do to control costs, so we can pay our pilots more. Every one of our pilots is getting pay raises now. Business people know about that stuff. We have contracted to an outside company, HRPQ, to do our screening for us, much like we do for engine overhauls, wet ditching, etc. If you have ever run your own business, you will understand this. HRPQ is in business to make money; they charge a fee for that service, the money does not go to us. I assume you are a pilot since you visited this web site. We do not hire pilots at USA Jet, we hire freight loaders (read F/O) and trip expediters (read Capt.), who fly for free between freight loading/unloading points. We need to know the personality make up of the person we are interviewing prior to bringing them to YIP. We must be somewhat successful; we have lots of very qualified potential pilots in our pool waiting for class dates. Our pilot turnover is near zero and our loaders and expediters are the best trained and amongst the highest paid in our sector of the industry. In past years UAL, AA, and other charged up to $100 for an application fee. Would you have applied there? Or is it the principal of it all that a small company would charge a fee. As a side note I think the fee of $38 for every company is not right and we are working with HRPQ do make this better.

Latest resources

Back